SPOILERS! Discussion/reaction thread for Loki streaming Marvel series on Disney+ - new episodes begin June 9th!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not reading or responding to spoiler tags. This is a SPOILER thread. Stop it please. Nobody got time to click on all those things!!

But, great series.

It was already leaked months ago that there would be a Loki 2.

The ending makes Miss Minutes answer to Loki's question in an earlier episode if she's live or recorded, and she says 'both,' makes sense.

The next Marvel products to obviously make use of a multiverse will be the next Spider-Man (Dec 17), Doctor Strange (Mar 25), and Ant-Man Feb 17, 2023). But there's so many other shows/movies in between. Wonder how they'll deal with it.

Well, we already have a new Kang Variant running the new TVA. Fun times ahead!

doctornick

I would consider the character in the show to have been Immortus (which I guess could make that citadel Limbo) and the new versions of himself to be Kangs

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is a spoiler thread, you don't have to use spoiler tags

I did that just in case someone came here early this morning before watching it. I understand its a spoiler thread but we've had posters complain before. So just playing nice with everyone.

I loved this series, but the ending was a bit predictable. You knew Kang was coming, he was already confirmed for Antman and Wasp 2.
Add to that making him the one who remains was a nice twist.
I also find it funny that in the end, the only Loki variant to show growth or real change was.... our original Loki. In the end Sylvie stayed Sylvie.
I love they have committed to season 2, which I bet comes just before Antman and Wasp 2 as a lead in. I also assume you will see Kang somewhere either in Dr. Strange 2 or maybe Spiderman 3 - or both.

What I wonder now is, it seems our Loki variant is outside of the timeline, so how does he react to that freedom, and what to do with it?
"Our" Loki got put into a new branched timeline. And given his (re)growth during the series I doubt he'll do anything but try and get things back to normal.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm learning very quickly I'm going to have a really hard time understanding the multiverse thing. Is the idea that when loki got sent through the door by sylvie, it dropped him a random branch of the multiverse and not back at tva from the branch he had been on?
Yes, he is in one of the random split branches from the main timeline.

hopemax

And this is where I get off the MCU train. So far not being a comic book person hasn’t affected my ability to understand what is happening. In the MCU. I accept there are deeper meanings and Easter Eggs and a greater sense of satisfaction that come through being one, but I just feel lost.

I had to come here to find out who that character was. I assume some people were like “I knew it,” from a costume, others via the backstory. But what was obviously supposed to be a “moment” means nothing to me and I don’t really care to find out what I don’t get.

I didn’t know who Agatha was or the Power Broker or other characters in films, but I still felt like I was able to participate in the excitement or annoyance and basically have an appropriate reaction to the finales. Everyone is so excited, and I feel left at the station.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Original Poster
And this is where I get off the MCU train. So far not being a comic book person hasn’t affected my ability to understand what is happening. In the MCU. I accept there are deeper meanings and Easter Eggs and a greater sense of satisfaction that come through being one, but I just feel lost.

I had to come here to find out who that character was. I assume some people were like “I knew it,” from a costume, others via the backstory. But what was obviously supposed to be a “moment” means nothing to me and I don’t really care to find out what I don’t get.

I didn’t know who Agatha was or the Power Broker or other characters in films, but I still felt like I was able to participate in the excitement or annoyance and basically have an appropriate reaction to the finales. Everyone is so excited, and I feel left at the station.
If it helps, that was a variant of Kang who will be appearing in Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania.

doctornick

I mean that’s fair if it’s how you feel but this is a character who is going to appear in additional future MCU stuff - Loki season 2 and Ant-Man 3 at least (and likely much more). It might be better to think of him like the Thanos cameo at the end of The Avengers. It was just an Easter egg for the fans but the meat of the character was yet to come.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Original Poster
Biggest argument with a friend this morning - they considered this "selfcest" and I called it "twincest'. Either way, I've never been so yucked by a forced kiss since... oh yes, "Rise of Skywalker".

I mean it was beyond this level of awkward (and this was at least intentionally not good):

1626314021226.png

Blech. Tom and Sofia have great buddy chemistry. Even great sibling chemistry. And Tom is so good at playing the vulnerable side of Loki. But (IMO) there was zip zero and zilch romantic chemistry between them.

So, did anything else happen in the episode besides more of:

1626314188645.png

*checks notes*

They're off to see the Wizard.
And it turns out he's just the Ancient One...

1626314426866.png

Me as I'm watching: "a Loki doesn't trust"
*three seconds later*
Variant Loki: "You can't trust and I can't be trusted."

And so breaketh the multiverse...

Is it time for "What If..." yet? No? Well, maybe I'll go watch "Black Widow" on Disney+ again.

hopemax

If it helps, that was a variant of Kang who will be appearing in Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania.
I know that now. But I shouldn’t have to rely on other viewers and a message board to understand key concepts. I have also managed to get through the MCU without Ant-Man. I did watch the first one but got bored and can’t remember much beyond the suit, Michael Douglas and Luis. Totally skipped the sequel other than the blip credit scene. I already had the next one on my skip list. But I was interested in more Guardians, Black Panther sequel and Shang-Chi. But I know how these things build on each other. So I have to ask how much work do I want to do to keep up? And I realize that if it’s work, then that’s a sign.

Everyone always asks when regular people are going to get off the bus and I’m raising my hand, saying I give. DH can go to the theater without me and if I see one of those movies I mentioned on Disney+... I do. If I don’t, it is what it is.

hopemax

I mean that’s fair if it’s how you feel but this is a character who is going to appear in additional future MCU stuff - Loki season 2 and Ant-Man 3 at least (and likely much more). It might be better to think of him like the Thanos cameo at the end of The Avengers. It was just an Easter egg for the fans but the meat of the character was yet to come.
That’s fine for a post credits scene. This was supposed to be a finale. The payoff for watching the season.

BrianLo

That’s fine for a post credits scene. This was supposed to be a finale. The payoff for watching the season.

I actually had no idea who Kang was either... but I don't know if it really mattered to my enjoyment.

It explained well enough in the exposition if they chose to break the timeline there would be a war. I think the pay-off was that this is just the mid point in this story and another season is coming.

doctornick

Season 2 is coming. It’s not exactly uncommon for TV series season finales to introduce elements that will be built on more next season.

Again, no problem with how you feel. Sometimes things don’t click for someone. But I don’t think one needs to “know” who is Kang is to have this season finale work.

waltography

Tom and Sofia have great buddy chemistry. Even great sibling chemistry. And Tom is so good at playing the vulnerable side of Loki. But (IMO) there was zip zero and zilch romantic chemistry between them.
There was absolutely romantic chemistry between the two that we could see as early as Lamentis; I mentioned it early on in this thread, and even two weeks ago Twitter had been siding with Ravonna for pruning Loki before he said "I love you." 😂 I definitely didn't agree with the decision to have them romantically linked, though, and I also wish they leaned more on a platonic or sibling relationship.

I really think this is going to be the most pivotal D+ series. It's seems like the foundation of the entire Phase 4.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier feels markedly inconsequential, by comparison.
I agree with this sentiment, mostly because in Loki's final moments the universe has dramatically changed as a result of the actions of those in the series. WV and FatWS were more personal journeys that didn't really change anything world-wise — Wanda ends up alone once more, Sam becomes Cap. We won't really get the pay-off for either until Strange 2 and Cap 4, it seems.

I'm also very much not a comic book person and don't really have any idea who Kang is, but I think they did an appropriate job introducing him in this last episode. At this point, this character is philosophically not Kang because he never calls himself Kang; he's introduced to us as He Who Remains, and that's the role he plays in this finale.

There's a built-in expectation of being let down by the man behind the curtain because the jig is up and the mystery's solved, much like when we see who the real Wizard of Oz is. He Who Remains explains the rationale of the TVA, tells them he provides stability in the universe, shares the potential threats that await from instability, and leaves the decision up to Sylvie and Loki. Boom - final conflict set up, HWR is in and out.

DKampy

I can actually see hopemax's point...I am actually worried for the next Phase of the MCU. The brilliance of the MCU was one never needed to watch every movie as each story was self contained for those who picked and chose, but it also worked on another level for the comic book enthusiasts who see every movie and saw how everything was linked together...this next phase feels like it is going to require people to watch everything to understand what is going on...MCU can not survive on comic people alone they have been successful because of the every day people

Wendy Pleakley

It's always tough to find a balance between building an overall story and keeping the films accessible on their own. I felt that Thanos could have been integrated more, the main characters don't even know who he is when we get to Infinity War. Maybe they feel that the MCU has a loyal enough audience now that they can integrate the films & shows a bit more.

This series didn't engage me very much. I kind of felt like Loki was just being dragged along a journey with a vague goal and no clear antagonist. It doesn't help that Loki is kind of a villain but kind of not?

Did we really need six episodes to get to the introduction of the villain? It's starting to feel like a cliché where they drag these series on and they seem to exist primarily for delivering the "wow" moment at the end. I didn't feel this show was super effective as a standalone series, as opposed to being a launch pad for what is to come.

I still enjoyed it. The MCU offers consistently quality entertainment. Even the "average" stuff is fun.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom