Splitting afternoon tea

Ciara

Original Poster
Well sort of. I have afternoon tea booked at 12:45. What I was hoping to do was the Bedfordshire or Derbyshire tea for myself and Boyfriend just wants to have a beer or two and possibly nibble on the food from mine. He doesn't drink tea and he is pretty picky so I'm not sure he will be super into the food. We don't want to order him a whole tea for these reasons but do people "share" here or would I be like a weirdo guest? :confused:

Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched but couldn't find an exact answer!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Force him to join you in the tea experience. It's not about the food and the tea -- it's about being civilized, relaxing together, and behaving like adults.

I think it could be a learning experience for him... and you.

Deno

Well sort of. I have afternoon tea booked at 12:45. What I was hoping to do was the Bedfordshire or Derbyshire tea for myself and Boyfriend just wants to have a beer or two and possibly nibble on the food from mine. He doesn't drink tea and he is pretty picky so I'm not sure he will be super into the food. We don't want to order him a whole tea for these reasons but do people "share" here or would I be like a weirdo guest? :confused:

Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched but couldn't find an exact answer!

I don't think you can Ciara. I also don't think (although someone may correct me) that you can order beer? I think it's the packages only.

Ridiculously overpriced though. I'm a tight Brit though but that price for afternoon tea just seems crazy, even by theme park standards.

Ciara

Original Poster
I don't think you can Ciara. I also don't think (although someone may correct me) that you can order beer? I think it's the packages only.

Ridiculously overpriced though. I'm a tight Brit though but that price for afternoon tea just seems crazy, even by theme park standards.

Bummer! I do see it on the menu from allears.net but I was wondering about that too! It is very pretty exspensive... I thought it would be a cool and relaxing expierence but I think I will maybe just cancel. It's a min $90 if we both have to get packages and for that we could almost have a signature meal!

Last edited:

docdebbi

the least expensive is only $35, now with tax and tip, it's a little bit higher, but not horrendous. You are not eating at a signature for $35 each including your drink. So it's not that bad. And for what you get, (especially the pastries/dessert) it actually is a value- FOR DISNEY WORLD at least. So the cost wouldn't be the problem.
If he refuses to eat what they serve, that's another story. But it truly is a wonderful experience. I would see if he can't be gently nudged to do something you want......and then offer him something he wants in return. (can you say pub in England?)

21stamps

Bummer! I do see it on the menu from allears.net but I was wondering about that too! It is very pretty exspensive... I thought it would be a cool and relaxing expierence but I think I will maybe just cancel. It's a min $90 if we both have to get packages and for that we could eat a signature meal!

No! Don't cancel! It's a beautiful room and will be a wonderful experience! I'm still kicking myself for cancelling last year!!!
Just have boyfriend order the least expensive offering. :)

Give in to my peer pressure.. I want a review and pics!! ;)

Ciara

Original Poster
the least expensive is only $35, now with tax and tip, it's a little bit higher, but not horrendous. You are not eating at a signature for $35 each including your drink. So it's not that bad. And for what you get, (especially the pastries/dessert) it actually is a value- FOR DISNEY WORLD at least. So the cost wouldn't be the problem.
If he refuses to eat what they serve, that's another story. But it truly is a wonderful experience. I would see if he can't be gently nudged to do something you want......and then offer him something he wants in return. (can you say pub in England?)

Do you know if that is the least exspensive? I thought I maybe read somewhere price had gone up by $5 or $10. Maybe that was for the other package though. I would be willing to pay that for myself knowing I'd enjoy it but it's really a toss up with him. Do you know what comes on the sandwiches? If he would at least eat those and the pastries I think it would be a value!

Ciara

Original Poster
No! Don't cancel! It's a beautiful room and will be a wonderful experience! I'm still kicking myself for cancelling last year!!!
Just have boyfriend order the least expensive offering. :)

Give in to my peer pressure.. I want a review and pics!! ;)

I want to go some badly! :arghh: It looks beautiful and quite and such a nice break from the parks! I think I need to find a really good review and try to sway him :angelic: can adults order the mrs.potts?? I think he would be quite pleased with that offering haha

21stamps

I want to go some badly! :arghh: It looks beautiful and quite and such a nice break from the parks! I think I need to find a really good review and try to sway him :angelic: can adults order the mrs.potts?? I think he would be quite pleased with that offering haha

I don't know if you remember from my trip report.. but that was by far the most difficult reservation for me to get. Calling/checking multiple times per day.. so, if that many people love it, it must be great, right?lol. Just tell him how sought after it is.. ;)

We did eat/drink there in the evening when it was the Garden View Champagne and Wine room.. I'm not sure if they did away with that now that Mizner's is back to normal? But that could be another option if it still exists. I would choose the tea experience though.. tell him to take one for the team! I'm with @docdebbi , let him choose another restaurant/bar/experience for a trade.

Are you guys doing Trader Sam's at all?

Ciara

Original Poster
I don't know if you remember from my trip report.. but that was by far the most difficult reservation for me to get. Calling/checking multiple times per day.. so, if that many people love it, it must be great, right?lol. Just tell him how sought after it is.. ;)

We did eat/drink there in the evening when it was the Garden View Champagne and Wine room.. I'm not sure if they did away with that now that Mizner's is back to normal? But that could be another option if it still exists. I would choose the tea experience though.. tell him to take one for the team! I'm with @docdebbi , let him choose another restaurant/bar/experience for a trade.

Are you guys doing Trader Sam's at all?

I do remember! There is only one day in our trip I've been able to snag one so I feel like it's meant to be :rolleyes: I think making a trade would definitely work. After tea I thought we would checks out some of the monorail resort bars, maybe that would be enough for him! Trader sams is definitely on the list, if we can get in :D

21stamps

I do remember! There is only one day in our trip I've been able to snag one so I feel like it's meant to be :rolleyes: I think making a trade would definitely work. After tea I thought we would checks out some of the monorail resort bars, maybe that would be enough for him! Trader sams is definitely on the list, if we can get in :D

Monorail bar hopping sounds like the perfect day to me!!

I prefer the Tiki Terrace when at Trader Sam's, I mean come on, what's better than a ukulele player?!lol. If there is a long wait for the inside, just check the Terrace.. you'll be able to get in one of the 2 for sure.

docdebbi

copied from another site- but exactly what I had last time I was there a few months ago. As far as I know they have not raised the price, but they certainly could have, it's WDW.

The Bedfordshire Tea -

First Course
Medley of Finger Sandwiches accompanied with Berries, Cheese and Lavosh (edit- I know I had cucumber and mayo, chicken salad, egg salad and something else for sandwiches)
-
Second Course
Buttery Scone and Jam Tart
-
Finale
Choice of delicate House-Made Pastries, Strawberries and Creme, or English Trifle

Accompanied by your choice of tea
(charge for additional pots of tea)
$35

Ciara

Original Poster
copied from another site- but exactly what I had last time I was there a few months ago. As far as I know they have not raised the price, but they certainly could have, it's WDW.

The Bedfordshire Tea -

First Course
Medley of Finger Sandwiches accompanied with Berries, Cheese and Lavosh (edit- I know I had cucumber and mayo, chicken salad, egg salad and something else for sandwiches)
-
Second Course
Buttery Scone and Jam Tart
-
Finale
Choice of delicate House-Made Pastries, Strawberries and Creme, or English Trifle

Accompanied by your choice of tea
(charge for additional pots of tea)
$35

Thank you so much for the info! Ecspecially about the sandwiches! I think I've talked him into it :)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We dragged my son in law to the tea. He enjoyed it...and we got the selection that started with champagne, since we were celebrating their engagement.

I've done the tea several times. Believe it or not, it's rather filling. Tell him if he does tea with you at the GF, you'll do a pint with him at the Rose & Crown......

disneyfirstLJ

My daughter and I have done the afternoon tea twice. Our server was great about switching out some of the sandwiches for my daughter as she preferred the ham and cheese offering from the Mrs. Potts tea but wanted the other items from the adult tea. We had a great experience both times. Yes, it was expensive but I felt the down time was worth it. Plus we had a very enjoyable time together away from the parks. The Grand Floridian is such a beautiful resort and the tea gave us an excuse to enjoy the resort.

I highly recommend it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Do you know if that is the least exspensive? I thought I maybe read somewhere price had gone up by $5 or $10. Maybe that was for the other package though. I would be willing to pay that for myself knowing I'd enjoy it but it's really a toss up with him. Do you know what comes on the sandwiches? If he would at least eat those and the pastries I think it would be a value!
Some guy named "Josh" something or another just did a review of his tea experience on his own website. Not sure if I can link to it on here, so I'll just suggest you google "Josh" and "easy" and "WDW." Good news -- you can order craft beers from the bar...

Sans Souci

I went there about a week and a half ago. I got the Cheshire package.

The fruits were papaya, pineapple and anjou pears. The cheese was really mild selection--Tilamook Cheddar, brie, gouda and some sort of cheese that had sage through out.

The sandwiches were egg salad, coronation (curry) chicken, cucumber/cream cheese and one with a gorgonzola type spread. There was also a tiny onion tart.

The pastry selection chocolate dipped strawberries, 4 different flavored macarons and a choux pastry shaped swan filled with raspberry.

I always make a point of doing this whenever I go to WDW. It's a pleasant way to spend an afternoon. :)

CaptainAmerica

You are not eating at a signature for $35 each including your drink. So it's not that bad. And for what you get, (especially the pastries/dessert) it actually is a value- FOR DISNEY WORLD at least. So the cost wouldn't be the problem.
You're joking, right? "What you get" for $35 is a fistful of grapes and some cheese sandwiches. Something like Boma is $40 and you can eat all the beef and zebra domes you can fit in your body. I understand it's not the same experience but the one thing the Afternoon Tea definitely is not is a "value."

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You're joking, right? "What you get" for $35 is a fistful of grapes and some cheese sandwiches. Something like Boma is $40 and you can eat all the beef and zebra domes you can fit in your body. I understand it's not the same experience but the one thing the Afternoon Tea definitely is not is a "value."
Value is always in the eye of the beholder, and since we do the tea every single trip, it is a value to us. Just because it isn't to you, is your opinion, which you are entitled to. But don't try to tell someone else that it isn't a value and shouldn't go, just because you don't think so.

In your example we should all just go to the cheapest buffets, as they are the only place that have "value" to you, apparently. Let's just close down all the signature restaurants, as those cannot possibly hold any "value" to anyone due to their high price.

CaptainAmerica

Value is always in the eye of the beholder, and since we do the tea every single trip, it is a value to us. Just because it isn't to you, is your opinion, which you are entitled to. But don't try to tell someone else that it isn't a value and shouldn't go, just because you don't think so.

In your example we should all just go to the cheapest buffets, as they are the only place that have "value" to you, apparently. Let's just close down all the signature restaurants, as those cannot possibly hold any "value" to anyone due to their high price.
Swing and a miss. That's exactly the opposite of the point I'm making. Read the post I quoted and responded to. That person introduced the concept of "value" as "the amount of stuff you get for the amount of money you pay." I never told anybody they shouldn't go, did I?

I'd selectively use the words "value" versus "worth." For example, I know that the Nachos Rio Grande is a terrible value but it's still worth it to me. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is a better value than Animal Kingdom Lodge, but Animal Kingdom Lodge is worth it to me. The way way the previous poster phrased his/her comments is akin to saying "the Grand Floridian is only $500 per night," which is a ridiculous thing to say on its face. You might still be willing to stay at the Grand Floridian at that price, but to phrase it that way is misleading to other readers who might not know any better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom