SPLITSVILLE

flynnibus

Premium Member
Three words, Disney Security Bubble. The convention center crowd isn't going to traverse through Disney Security unless they are already going into DLR. And definitely not just to go to a TGIFriday-style overpriced AppleBee's of bowling. Especially when there are several other choices for the same type of venue in less than a couple mile radius.

Sorry - this isn't a theoretical - this is already reality today.

Practical Pig

How did I manage to live this long without hearing the term "woo girls" before now?

Kay-rab is nearly ubiquitous in the California Roll now, long since replacing the frozen King Crab leg of the original. It's made from ground whitefish like pollack, mixed with egg white and starch, and flavored with extracts of various shellfish and fish.

Yes there are other chemical additives that you'll commonly find in other processed foods, but how dire are those? Well, one usual additive, potassium chloride, is also both sold in small doses as a health supplement, and used in large dosage as the cardiac arrest-causing ingredient in the lethal injection cocktail used in executions. You decide.

I'm not Krazy about this Krab Krap, but considering the Korporate kitchens that will be cranking these rolls out, I think I prefer that Splitsville keep the highly-perishable fresh crab out of our harm's way.

But yeah, really cool building.

D

Deleted member 107043

Three words, Disney Security Bubble. The convention center crowd isn't going to traverse through Disney Security unless they are already going into DLR.

I can tell you from firsthand experience that they absolutely do this now.

Who's arguing?

Arguing, debating, disagreeing, whatever. :)

I know it's a friendly discussion, and I respect your opinion, but I don't care enough about Splitsville's final outcome to continue discussing whether the place will ultimately succeed or fail.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You all convinced me. I hope this place has lines around the block for the next 25 years. I'm being serious. I really do hope this place is as successful as you all are projecting. Because in the end it will be successful for DTD which is good.

I was just being a bit more realistic. I've been to places like this and I just know they aren't as popular as one thinks. They rely too much on corporate events to be profitable and has big down times when one isn't available. Maybe the WDW one has a captive market which is why it works. Maybe the Anaheim market can handle a third upscale bowling entertainment facility in a 5 mile radius. Maybe this will be the thing that will bring the largest tourist boom that DTD has ever seen. I don't know, as I've said before what do I know I'm just a guy on a fan board. :)

Antaundra

All of the DTD restaurants are mediocre and they're all full every weekend. Why should this one be any different? It doesn't have to attract bowlers to be successful, but I think the bowling will be a draw for tourists. When I come with friends and family who don't have APs we usually arrive mid afternoon and they don't want to pay for a full day ticket for a few hours in the park so we're always looking for something to do. Once we check into our hotel we're in the Disney bubble and don't really want to go somewhere else. After five hours in the car we don't want to sit through a movie. Usually we end up just walking around window shopping until we're tired/bored enough for bed. My mom always says she wished they had put put golf. We just want some activity to do as a family to kill a few hours. Bowling is perfect.

SSG

Original Poster
My mom always says she wished they had put put golf. We just want some activity to do as a family to kill a few hours. Bowling is perfect.

Speaking of golf at Disneyland, does anyone remember the miniature golf course that used to be at DLH? I went once as a youngster and thought playing holes based on DL attractions was pretty cool. From a Yesterland article:

For family fun, there’s the 18-hole Miniature Golf Course—the Magic Kingdom Golf Course—with landmarks of Disneyland Park.

hotelgolf_matterhorn197xrb.jpg

Posing at the Matterhorn

hotelgolf_mickey197xrb.jpg

Mickey and guests at the 18th hole

hotelgolf_scorecard1964.jpg

Magic Kingdom Golf Course score card

Texas84

What's weird is that I distinctly remember going to WDW's Downtown Disney in the late 1990's and dining at the Wolfgang Puck's there who had a wonderful fresh sushi bar. Chefs made nigiri and sashimi to order, and it was very nicely done. Apparently things in WDW have devolved such that a bowling alley offering a few Krab roll options is a big deal. Weird.

No one is saying Splitsville is "Teh best WDW sushi evah." That's silly. Have you been to Morimoto Asia? They have a sushi bar that my foodie in-laws can't wait to get back to. We told the chef to just surprise us and it was amazing. I hear there is also a good sushi bar at The Contemporary but I've never been. But as someone who lives in the southeast I think I understand your frustration. :)

D

Deleted member 107043

Here's another hand. It was relatively close to the heliport if I recall correctly.

Does anyone else remember Tennisland? I believe it's what replaced the mini golf course.

The Disneyland Hotel also had a campground/RV park on West Street (Disneyland Drive) that closed for the DLR expansion.

http://www.yesterland.com/vacationland.html

The DLR and Anaheim Resort makeovers in the early 2000s sure did work wonders for the immediate area around Disneyland. Nothing says "world class" tourist destination like an RV park!

vacationland_sign1974ww.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SSG

Original Poster
My favorite was a Peter Pan hole--could have been Skull Rock or Mr. Smee--where you putted into the pirate ship, the ball gathered speed as it rolled down to the ship's cannon, and was expelled through the cannon at considerable velocity to the hole. Seven year old me thought it was pretty cool to shoot a golf ball out of a cannon. Considerably older me would probably still like it.

TP2000

What a great photo! That's the Pirates ride building in the background, and judging by hair and fashion I would peg this photo as early 1970's. I don't have any specific memories of this mini-golf course, but I have lots of memories of the area around the Disneyland Hotel looking like that; a wooded berm around some green warehouse buildings. It was all kind of random and haphazard back then, especially on the western flanks of the Disneyland property.

No one is saying Splitsville is "Teh best WDW sushi evah." That's silly. Have you been to Morimoto Asia? They have a sushi bar that my foodie in-laws can't wait to get back to. We told the chef to just surprise us and it was amazing. I hear there is also a good sushi bar at The Contemporary but I've never been. But as someone who lives in the southeast I think I understand your frustration. :)

Okay, good to know. I haven't been to the new Disney Springs yet, it was constructionland last time and not high on my priority list anyway. I have AmazonPrime and rarely go to the mall anymore.

I forget who the poster was, but we had been told that people in Orlando were raving about this Splitsville sushi. Our culinary expectations for Splitsville may have been raised too high, even before Sushi-gate happened.

Upon further inspection, Splitsville offers a half dozen rolls made with Krab. And the rest of their menu is Applebee's-On-A-Good-Day and nothing to be excited about.

I'll cut Splitsville some slack, because to be honest I never went into House of Blues after a couple of bad service experiences there in the 2000's. It was just a big brick building to be ignored for me.

This new building at least looks better, and I'm sure some tourist families will appreciate it for a novel non-park activity after they check in at the hotel, where they can get some chicken fingers for the kiddies and a beer for Dad before they hit the parks the next morning. Let's hope they can carve out a reasonable business model with that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I'll cut Splitsville some slack, because to be honest I never went into House of Blues after a couple of bad service experiences there in the 2000's. It was just a big brick building to be ignored for me.

I think your expectations for what DTD is supposed to be might be a bit too high. Like most urban "festival marketplaces" ( see Fanuiel Hall, South Street Seaport, Pier 39, Disney Village circa 1980, Pike Place Market, etc) the primary audience is mostly non-adventurous tourists. Anyone seriously interested in the local culinary, shopping, and entertainment scenes will head to other cities in Orange County, LA, or West Hollywood.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

I think your expectations for what DTD is supposed to be might be a bit too high. Like most urban "festival marketplaces" ( see Fanuiel Hall, South Street Seaport, Pier 39, Disney Village circa 1980, Pike Place Market, etc) the primary audience is mostly non-adventurous tourists. Anyone seriously interested in the local culinary, shopping, and entertainment scenes will head to other cities in Orange County, LA, or West Hollywood.

Well, sure, it's mainly for tourists. But it was initially succesful because the locals flocked to it, and back in 2001 it had a healthy mix of unique restaurants that were NOT owned by the Darden Corporation. Ralph Brennan's, Catal, Naples, etc. The Patina Group was the one corporate presence, but even then that's just a local LA outfit known for stylish, upscale dining.

While I take my cocktails very seriously, I'm actually not much of a Foodie. But I have really enjoyed seeing the hipster young generation take their dining seriously in the last decade or so, going in for very local and very fresh ingredients done by local proprietors who embrace their community. And OC now has so many hip neighborhoods with very good restaurants and food halls, like the Anaheim Packing House, the Orange Circle in City of Orange, some great upscale ethnic spots in Santa Ana and Westminster, and the usual chef-driven hipster hot spots all along Pacific Coast Highway in OC.

It just seems in this hipster era when dining and entertainment around OC has changed for the better since Downtown Disney opened in 2001, that Downtown Disney is taking a huge step backward with the food offerings at Splitsville. Instead of trying to find a fresh, local concept that can stand on its own with locals and entertain tourists alike, we're getting Krab rolls and microwaved sauce bags from a corporate kitchen.

Miceage had said over a year ago that this Vice President Christie Fleischer woman was heading up a big redo of Downtown Disney. Apparently her idea of a fun night out is chicken fingers at Applebee's. Or Splitsville. :depressed:

D

Deleted member 107043

Well, sure, it's mainly for tourists. But it was initially succesful because the locals flocked to it, and back in 2001 it had a healthy mix of unique restaurants that were NOT owned by the Darden Corporation. Ralph Brennan's, Catal, Naples, etc. The Patina Group was the one corporate presence, but even then that's just a local LA outfit known for stylish, upscale dining.

While I take my cocktails very seriously, I'm actually not much of a Foodie. But I have really enjoyed seeing the hipster young generation take their dining seriously in the last decade or so, going in for very local and very fresh ingredients done by local proprietors who embrace their community. And OC now has so many hip neighborhoods with very good restaurants and food halls, like the Anaheim Packing House, the Orange Circle in City of Orange, some great upscale ethnic spots in Santa Ana and Westminster, and the usual chef-driven hipster hot spots all along Pacific Coast Highway in OC.

It just seems in this hipster era when dining and entertainment around OC has changed for the better since Downtown Disney opened in 2001, that Downtown Disney is taking a huge step backward with the food offerings at Splitsville. Instead of trying to find a fresh, local concept that can stand on its own with locals and entertain tourists alike, we're getting Krab rolls and microwaved sauce bags from a corporate kitchen.

Miceage had said over a year ago that this Vice President Christie Fleischer woman was heading up a big redo of Downtown Disney. Apparently her idea of a fun night out is chicken fingers at Applebee's. Or Splitsville. :depressed:

As usual you make some good points, but I dunno, the fact that Starbucks is the primary source for coffee and Rainforest Cafe is a long time anchor tenant says it all to me. There have been and still are a few unique and trendy offerings at DTD, however it's never been a destination for the kind of locally sourced organic small farm lowkey dining that's stereotypical of the millennial hipster set. This is Disneyland we're talking about not Portand or Brooklyn.

TROR

It matches the new queue for California Screamin' Renamed. Although it actually works well and I want more of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom