SPLITSVILLE

TP2000

OK, you've ruined it for me. Thanks. lol

I'm so sorry Hans, I know you wanted to love this. I did too. :(

But I think we need to realize what we are getting here. Their menu is not fresh, and nowhere near on-trend for the West Coast circa 2017. It is heavily tilted to frying frozen proteins and reheating sauce bags as the final step in production, with a sugar-rimmed Mega Margarita mix to wash it down.

What works in a suburban shopping mall in Cincinnati or Tampa or Dallas won't necessarily work for Southern Californians, especially Orange County. http://www.splitsvillelanes.com/

It will be interesting to see if they try and tout the "sushi" and food/drink program here, or just stick with it being a cool looking bowling alley that serves some food.

Last edited:

TP2000

The point is the bowling is just there as an entertainment gimmick so this bar isn't like other bars. Measure the place as a bar/restaurant...

Based on their crummy dinner menu, mostly copied from an Applebee's circa 2005, that seems really dangerous.

Based on their bar menu built around domestic draft beer, flavored vodka, and margarita mix, that seems disastrous.

But at least they offer "party cocktails" of flavored vodka in sizes up to 86 ounces! :eek: http://www.howlsplitsville.com/cincinnati-oh/drink-menu/

I think it would be better for Splitsville's business if we measure it as a bowling alley that also serves food. And 86 ounce vodka drinks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I have to concede that this is disappointing. By any measure, bowling alley or bar/lounge, if the menu at the WDW venue comes to DLR it is going to be a letdown even for business travelers starving for some fun after a long day of boring education sessions and meandering around a tradeshow floor. Nice building, but HOB was the real deal at least as far as food and entertainment goes. I fully expect this place to be full of woo girls.

So far Splitsville Anaheim appears to be a step down from what was there before, but I guess we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I have to concede that this is disappointing. By any measure, bowling alley or bar/lounge, if the menu at the WDW venue comes to DLR it is going to be a letdown even for business travelers starving for some fun after a long day of boring education sessions and meandering around a tradeshow floor. Nice building, but HOB was the real deal at least as far as food and entertainment goes. I fully expect this place to be full of woo girls.

So far Splitsville Anaheim appears to be a step down from what was there before, but I guess we'll see.

And you were trying to say it's gonna be the new hot spot. ;):D Like I said it'll be busy for the first couple months, then when people get over the "new" factor it'll be dead.

Oh and Krab is imitation crab made from chemicals, typically found in mass produced California Rolls. Not that I eat Sushi, not my thing, but I know people that do. Bay Area people are picky about their Sushi, probably as much as LA folks.

TP2000

I have to concede that this is disappointing. By any measure, bowling alley or bar/lounge, if the menu at the WDW venue comes to DLR it is going to be a letdown even for business travelers starving for some fun after a long day of boring education sessions and meandering around a tradeshow floor.

Splitsville is a corporate chain and their food and beverage menu is nearly identical across all their locations from Boston to Dallas to Tampa. The only difference is that the WDW menu is $4 to $7 more per entree than their other locations.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Splitsville is a corporate chain and their food and beverage menu is nearly identical across all their locations from Boston to Dallas to Tampa. The only difference is that the WDW menu is $4 to $7 more per entree than their other locations.

Well gotta charge more for the honor of eating at a Disney location. So I expect it'll be $10 more because its in DTD and in LA.

Curious Constance

I thought Splitsville was owned by Disney?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Based on their crummy dinner menu, mostly copied from an Applebee's circa 2005, that seems really dangerous.

Based on their bar menu built around domestic draft beer, flavored vodka, and margarita mix, that seems disastrous.

But at least they offer "party cocktails" of flavored vodka in sizes up to 86 ounces! :eek: http://www.howlsplitsville.com/cincinnati-oh/drink-menu/

I think it would be better for Splitsville's business if we measure it as a bowling alley that also serves food. And 86 ounce vodka drinks.

It does not cater to bowlers at all. It doesn't even offer regulation sized lanes.

You are trying to compare it to a boutique type bar experience - it has no aspirations for that either as you have seen from their menus.

It's TGIFridays meets the corporate party scene meets the Dave and busters scene. The goal is to lure in people looking to socialize around food and drink in a one-off type of experience. It's not the place you go to regularly. It's not your "goto bar". It's not where you go for fine dining. It's where you go as a group when you want to get some food/drink and mix it up for the group with the social activity.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It does not cater to bowlers at all. It doesn't even offer regulation sized lanes.

You are trying to compare it to a boutique type bar experience - it has no aspirations for that either as you have seen from their menus.

It's TGIFridays meets the corporate party scene meets the Dave and busters scene. The goal is to lure in people looking to socialize around food and drink in a one-off type of experience. It's not the place you go to regularly. It's not your "goto bar". It's not where you go for fine dining. It's where you go as a group when you want to get some food/drink and mix it up for the group with the social activity.

Well then that's gonna be a long term issue with this location. There is not enough of a tourist market for one-off visitors to make it profitable. This is not WDW where its like 80/20 tourists. Its DLR where its like 80/20 locals. They'll have to cater to the local market or they will die.

Curious Constance

Would you recommend it for someone like me who likes to keep to myself and direct eye contact makes me nervous?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well then that's gonna be a long term issue with this location. There is not enough of a tourist market for one-off visitors to make it profitable. This is not WDW where its like 80/20 tourists. Its DLR where its like 80/20 locals. They'll have to cater to the local market or they will die.

Two words... convention center

All those hotels exist and have for a long time and aren't surviving on just locals.

I don't think it will work long term there... but for other reasons.

TP2000

It does not cater to bowlers at all. It doesn't even offer regulation sized lanes....

It's TGIFridays meets the corporate party scene meets the Dave and busters scene. .

Oh, geez, they are mini-lanes? I think I get it now.

Your TGIFridays analogy is perfect, and I agree.

This place's Applebee's-On-A-Good-Day menu sounds gross, with vodka-corn syrup cocktails aimed only at Woo Girls and the men who love them.

Just as the dining and bar scene in central OC has gone upscale and local and hip-artisanal, Downtown Disney goes downscale and slides into Corporate Cheese with Splitsville.

This isn't a good move for Downtown Disney, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

And you were trying to say it's gonna be the new hot spot. ;):D Like I said it'll be busy for the first couple months, then when people get over the "new" factor it'll be dead.

Sure, if you say so. At this point I really don't care. I'm kind of tired of arguing about something neither of us can predict with any certainty. Apparently Disney and the investors feel that they can turn a profit, so we'll just have to see.

I bet the rent to have a business on Disney grounds is much more than most places, hence the higher prices.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sure, if you say so. At this point I really don't care. I'm kind of tired of arguing about something neither of us can predict with any certainty. Apparently Disney and the investors feel that they can turn a profit, so we'll just have to see.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Who's arguing? I was just giving you a hard time and agreeing with TP at the same time.

To Disney its likely just rent, to the Splitsville corporate investors its a way to get into the LA/CA markets.

I honestly don't care if this place is successful or not. I'm just giving my opinion just like anyone else.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Two words... convention center

All those hotels exist and have for a long time and aren't surviving on just locals.

I don't think it will work long term there... but for other reasons.

Three words, Disney Security Bubble. The convention center crowd isn't going to traverse through Disney Security unless they are already going into DLR. And definitely not just to go to a TGIFriday-style overpriced AppleBee's of bowling. Especially when there are several other choices for the same type of venue in less than a couple mile radius.

One thing this place does have going for it is the new 4 diamond hotel Disney is building in the next couple of years. So that will increase the tourist crowd but not enough in my opinion to be profitable.

In my honest opinion they will be using this as a launching point to bring other locations to CA. Which means they care less about profits and more about location location location. But that is another topic for another day. In the end we shall see how this location turns out in the short and long term.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom