Splitsville bowling moving into Downtown Disney West Side

devoy1701

I am of two minds when it comes to Splitsville, on one hand I'm glad something new is coming on the other side my response is a resounding meh. Locally splitsville is a very nice but expensive place to bowl, with expensive drinks and food. In that respect it should fit right in DTD, but I really hope they make it more than just another Splitsville.

Definitely expensive in relation to other bowling alleys around here. But I'm also not very keen on the Tampa night crowds...not my scene!

A good addition -- quite perfect actually. Family-friendly, particularly during the day, but profit-friendly as well, as I'm sure alcohol will be a big part, particularly at night. Give me a decent sports bar as well, and I'll be satsified with the West Side, which I have not been in a long, long, time.
I shall attempt to look on the bright side, then, Steve.
Not sure how family friend this is. I wouldn't consider Tampa's Splitsville Family-friendly...but as others have said, it depends on what kind of "spin" is put on this Splitsville.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
It might be wishful thinking but I think they may have bigger and better plans for the AC concept.

I got hit with the same realization after viewing Splitsville's web site that they seem to be making the WestSide the more adult oriented area. It does make sense and it will be very interesting to see what that means for DQ and also the former PI area. There is no reason they can't have smaller clubs that have dancing but I still think a full fledged dance venue in the manner of Mannequins would prove a mistake. Splitsville and Paridiso seem to reflect the direction they are going. A Piano Bar or Jazz club in a similar style could do very well. I love the idea of a dress code. Who knew a bowling venue could be so trend setting? :lol:

HoB should be thanking their lucky stars for such a choice location and that they did not leave due to all the doom and gloom. They really are in a great position as is Bongos IMO. DTD really is starting to mesh and be what it was meant to be.

Here we are in agreement. In fact, in one of my many posts way back when, I believe I stated that when they built west side, they should have effectively taken a couple of the clubs and relocated them along the West Side, which would have drawn out the crowd and mixed in dining and shopping with the clubs. Of course at the time they did not even have the island un-gated, but this is basically what CW has done and they thrive.

acr123

There is no reason they can't have smaller clubs that have dancing but I still think a full fledged dance venue in the manner of Mannequins would prove a mistake. Splitsville and Paridiso seem to reflect the direction they are going. A Piano Bar or Jazz club in a similar style could do very well. I love the idea of a dress code. Who knew a bowling venue could be so trend setting? :lol.

I agree a dress code is a great idea but there is no way I think that a dance venue would be a mistake at all. They need at least one if not two dance clubs similar to Mannequins that feature a light show and other elements within you cant experience anywhere else in the country. While I dont think more than two such clubs are necessary, I feel this type of entertainment option is still very necessary to make PI/HW a well rounded, often visited night time entertainment area. It should be designed to hold the best options of night life that cator to the diverse tastes in what people want in such entertainment. A piano or jazz bar alone or in place of a real dance club just wont do.

Unfortunately, If Disney is looking at third parties to fill this area, I doubt anyone has much of a say in what the final product will turn out to be. That will be decided by those who are interested in locating on the property and the offerings will likely change over time as tenants come and go.

devoy1701

It might be wishful thinking but I think they may have bigger and better plans for the AC concept.

I got hit with the same realization after viewing Splitsville's web site that they seem to be making the WestSide the more adult oriented area. It does make sense and it will be very interesting to see what that means for DQ and also the former PI area. There is no reason they can't have smaller clubs that have dancing but I still think a full fledged dance venue in the manner of Mannequins would prove a mistake. Splitsville and Paridiso seem to reflect the direction they are going. A Piano Bar or Jazz club in a similar style could do very well. I love the idea of a dress code. Who knew a bowling venue could be so trend setting? :lol:

HoB should be thanking their lucky stars for such a choice location and that they did not leave due to all the doom and gloom. They really are in a great position as is Bongos IMO. DTD really is starting to mesh and be what it was meant to be.

This does make sense...move the adult areas to the West Side so there is no longer this huge adult venue separating the areas that have offerings for the family...no need for bridges to circumvent the island and cause for traffic problems.

hmmm....

njDizFan

Yes, I like it. Keep the clubs and such to one end so families don't need to risk scaring their children with sights of drunken mobs while attempting to get to the Marketplace. :lookaroun

jt04

I agree a dress code is a great idea but there is no way I think that a dance venue would be a mistake at all. They need at least one if not two dance clubs similar to Mannequins that feature a light show and other elements within you cant experience anywhere else in the country. While I dont think more than two such clubs are necessary, I feel this type of entertainment option is still very necessary to make PI/HW a well rounded, often visited night time entertainment area. It should be designed to hold the best options of night life that cator to the diverse tastes in what people want in such entertainment. A piano or jazz bar alone or in place of a real dance club just wont do.

Unfortunately, If Disney is looking at third parties to fill this area, I doubt anyone has much of a say in what the final product will turn out to be. That will be decided by those who are interested in locating on the property and the offerings will likely change over time as tenants come and go.

Bongos has dancing on the weekends I am pretty sure. HW artwork depicted there would also be a club of some sort. Again, Disney has to walk a fine line because places like the AMC, DQ, and Cirque need families in the evenings and a "real dance club" in the manner of Mannequins would only drive families away in the evening or keep many from showing up at all. Disney is not about to create a new PI fiasco.

This does make sense...move the adult areas to the West Side so there is no longer this huge adult venue separating the areas that have offerings for the family...no need for bridges to circumvent the island and cause for traffic problems.

hmmm....

It appears it will be able to become more adult oriented in the evenings but not at the expense of families who may be visiting DQ, the AMC or Cirque.

Of course this is all my opinion.

acr123

Bongos has dancing on the weekends I am pretty sure. HW artwork depicted there would also be a club of some sort. Again, Disney has to walk a fine line because places like the AMC, DQ, and Cirque need families in the evenings and a "real dance club" in the manner of Mannequins would only drive families away in the evening or keep many from showing up at all. Disney is not about to create a new PI fiasco

I disagree. What is the difference in having a dance club in an over 21 bowling alley (just an example) to having a independent dance club? They both have booze and they both have music. The only difference I can think of is that a independent club would be more likely to have a better light show and atmosphere inside.

jt04

I disagree. What is the difference in having a dance club in an over 21 bowling alley (just an example) to having a independent dance club? They both have booze and they both have music. The only difference I can think of is that a independent club would be more likely to have a better light show and atmosphere inside.

As I said (and you refuse to hear) younger families, in large percentages, will be driven from an area that relies on their business. Bongos has dancing very late, the HoB in Orlando does not book certain acts, and PI closed because it was not a viable concept for Disney practically and thus financially.

Disney can not and should not try to compete directly with Vegas or New Orleans or South Beach. They have learned that lesson. It does not work.

PS- If you can't see the difference between Splitsville and RnRBC or Mannequins then we probably can't communicate anyway. :wave:

acr123

As I said (and you refuse to hear) younger families, in large percentages, will be driven from an area that relies on their business. Bongos has dancing very late, the HoB in Orlando does not book certain acts, and PI closed because it was not a viable concept for Disney practically and thus financially.

Disney can not and should not try to compete directly with Vegas or New Orleans or South Beach. They have learned that lesson. It does not work.

PS- If you can't see the difference between Splitsville and RnRBC or Mannequins then we probably can't communicate anyway. :wave:

Oh believe me I hear you loud and clear. Im not saying they should bring back a club centric PI (which YOU seem to refuse to want to hear). What I am saying is that throwing in a COUPLE quality clubs in the new offerings isnt going to "drive" young families from the area anymore than the other Over 21 offerings would that will likely be developed in this area. By providing a mix of night time entertainment appropriate for all ages and tastes, the area has the potential to be a huge draw.

jt04

Oh believe me I hear you loud and clear. Im not saying they should bring back a club centric PI (which YOU seem to refuse to want to hear). What I am saying is that throwing in a COUPLE quality clubs in the new offerings isnt going to "drive" young families from the area anymore than the other Over 21 offerings would that will likely be developed in this area. By providing a mix of night time entertainment appropriate for all ages and tastes, the area has the potential to be a huge draw.

We will have to agree to disagree. I just think a large club would lead to loitering in the area and the parking lots not to mention under age drinking, crime and drugs that is almost always associated with the club 'rave' scene. You just won't get that on a problematic scale with smaller, more intimate clubs. Sorry to sound like a kill joy but these would be real issues if they bring back clubs. Best to go with classier, more upscale offerings with entertainment to suit all tastes. IMO.

flavious27

I think this is going to be great. I think a Roller Rink and Drive In Movie Theatre could also be great ideas.

We already had a roller rink in dtd, and well ... There would need to be some kind of allure to it, the only allure there is to roller rinks right now are the roller derbies.

A drive in could work for parking lots that are empty at night, like dak.

Prince-1

I've been to one of their places in Tampa. It was very fun and the food was pretty good. I do have a hard time believing that the place will keep to the over 21 crowd after 9:00. With all the families that will want to go their they are risking losing lots of money and getting some bad PR.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
With all the families that will want to go their they are risking losing lots of money and getting some bad PR.

No it won't. If anything it will draw people that want a break from nonstop kids and the numerous couples/older groups of friends that visit the area.

Kamikaze

No it won't. If anything it will draw people that want a break from nonstop kids and the numerous couples/older groups of friends that visit the area.

I think he's saying that people might be upset if they want to bring their kids bowling and there is drinking inside.

I'm guessing that at say 10 they make it 21 and over to avoid this problem.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I think he's saying that people might be upset if they want to bring their kids bowling and there is drinking inside.

People need to stop being thin skinned in that case.

The one in Fredericksburg is 21+ at 8. It is no different than the CineBistro rules.

flavious27

Because it is disney?

Other bowling alleys serve alcohol, some allow drinking in the lanes while some only allow it in lounges. Guests should know by the appearance and marketing of this business, that it is not their unusual Brunswick Zone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom