Split Stay

Bob and April

Disney will move your luggage from one hotel to the next. One downside is that you have to meet bell services twice the day you move - to pick up the bags that morning and then get them whenever you want. It's nice to be able to see 2 resorts during one vacation but we never felt completely settled at the first resort because we knew we we were going to have to pack everything up and move soon.

Tinkerkelle

We do a split stay each time but with WDW and Universal to take advantage of both onsite perks. Our trips are 15 days so we get a decent amount of time at each hotel.
We pack a bag for each of the hotels so one is tucked away ready for use at the second hotel and the first bag is tucked away at the second hotel with stuff that has been used.
Always save the best for last - you don't want to get used to the location and amenities of a deluxe then move to value.

lostpro9het

We've done a few split stays. Some times its a 3day/4day and sometimes its a 2day/5day. Bell service will come to your room and get your bags(at least in the deluxes) and deliver them to your room at the new resort. We did most of our split stays to experience more resorts when deciding to buy into DVC. For a short stay combined with a long stay we would actually pack two sets of luggage and just keep the long stay clothes in the car and carry some overnight bags in for the short stay.

DisneyJunkie

I've never done a split stay, myself, but have considered it. On one hand you get to try out more than one resort for your stay, but on the other it seems like a lot of work and headache involved in getting yourself re-situated into another resort when you've just gotten settled into the first. Then there's the matter of new reservations and tickets and so on. I think it's just easier to stay in one resort, get yourself settled in on that first day, and let that be that for the entire trip.

Gaston's gal

We have done the split stay & use that day as our "relax by the pool and check out the new resort" day. It's pretty easy. Just keep a day bag for what you will need while your luggage is getting switched.

popcenturylover

We've done one split stay & I absolutely hated it! When I get to a resort & unpack & settle in I want to stay settled in. I hate unpacking & then packing everything back up just to move & unpack again for a few more days.

LAM378

I did 3 split stays last year. I'll probably never stop with them, because I want to experience different resorts but I love to end up at my favorite, Y&BC.
I always have my young son with me, and the most recent trip involved 5 adults and 3 kids under age 6, and it was still fine. Definitely make the "nicer" resort--or the one you're just more excited about--the second resort.

I always have a car, which helps. I have let Disney move my luggage but I prefer to do it myself, because it can take them awhile. When I let them do the moving, I carry a change of clothes.

I think the key to a seamless split is staying super organized and mindful that you're leaving Resort 1. If you prepare for the split at home before you leave, it's easy and doesn't kill any WDW time. As previous posters mentioned, packing two separate bags simplifies things, or you can use packing cubes to organize two trips within one suitcase. I don't really unpack at Resort 1. I have a cool toiletry case that hangs on a towel bar and has all kinds of zippered pockets, meaning I put things back as soon as I use them. I pack an expandable duffel in my luggage for souvenirs and dirty laundry. I don't lose any time packing for Resort 2 because I've been doing it as I go, and the extra bag means I don't have to play Tetris with my luggage for the split stay or for when I finally leave to go home.

Normally moving day is a "day off" -- we stay at Resort 1 swimming or relaxing right up until check out at 11 a.m. I make a 12-ish lunch ADR somewhere, usually at another resort. By the time we load the car, eat lunch, explore that resort, and get back in the car to go to Resort 2, it's pretty close to 3 pm check-in time. We don't feel like we're room-less for too long, if at all, which I think is important with little kids.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I was tempted by this myself as the family and I cannot fully decide between the contemporary and Poly. Yet at the end of the day, splitting the stay for us while possible added a level of complexity that would decrease our overall enjoyment of the vacation.

For instance we'd need to take time out of our schedule to handle packing/unpacking and transferring to another resort. While that time may be minimal, if the other resort is very busy check in time can be long. That's time away from the parks. Another issue is magic bands, do we get two sets. We'd need to make sure we don't mix them up and then of course is our meal plans.

These are not unsurmountable issues, but rather complexities introduced to our vacation that I'd rather not have.

Blairnicol

I did a split stay for the first time this last trip (AoA, OKW, AKL). I think it depends on your personal situation. If you are unable to make the trip work financially if you don't do the split, or if you are dying to stay at XYZ deluxe resort, but can only swing it with a split stay, then it could be for you. For me, it was a burden and a giant waste of time. I would rather rat-hole an extra $200ish or stay a half step lower to keep from having to go through the hassle. I value both my relaxation time & my park time too much to go through the 2/3 hrs that it took to switch each time. If I were staying for over a week, it might be different...but even then. It was not an experience I enjoyed.

btriple

We did last year where part of our group had to leave early and I was not footing the bill for a 2 bedroom villa for just my family. Worked out fine and we plan on doing it again this year. The luggage transfer does take a while, but they said it should be at the next resort by 3pm, i think it was more like 1:30pm. For last year we did the transfer day was just a pool day and my wife loved that so much we had to add an extra day this year just to have another pool day, just to relax and the bool at the yacht club pool is awesome for the kids. the transfer from hotel to hotel did take some time, for us it was Wilderness to MK to Yacht club via bus....but the bus from MK to yacht in the morning was all ours, guess we could call a cab. This year we will just drop of our bags at bell hop and head over to Studios and check in that evening or just use the online check in thing. If you use the DME you might have to let them know you will be a different resorts.

jlsHouston

I almost always do a split stay if I am there for at least 10 days. I pack everything the night before the move, and get all the laundry caught up and then the move day I drive our luggage to the next resort and do the check in process. Sometimes the room is ready and sometimes it is not. I leave a "pool" bag out so we can do the pool if the new room is not ready or we go to DtD for a couple of hours or a park and I leave luggage at the new resort so it is in the air conditioning and not the car. I guess I kind of lose a day but I don't feel like it's a real loss because we enjoy changing the scenery so it is worth the time spent moving. Most of the time the 2nd resort is the more "deluxe" resort although this past trip went from the Four Seasons to SSR 1 bedr....let me tell you...the Four Seasons is awesome.

mouse_luv

DBF and I did a split stay on our last trip together last Fall and will never stay any way other than that again. I think if we were to stay in one DVC the whole time it will be a big deal or for a big event! LOL
It really was seamless with the luggage and bell services and everything. I love being able to experience two resorts in one stay.

Demeter Tess

We've done quite a few split stays. They were really fun in that they let us experience almost every resort on property within the span of a few trips, but man, it is exhausting to switch resorts over and over. Especially if you're a stickler for getting to rope drop, it can be tough getting your bags over to bell services prior to hitting the parks. IMHO, give yourself at least 3 nights at a resort before switching rooms. We've done 2 nights here, 2 nights there, and it just felt like we were constantly on the go and unable to really soak in the ambience and enjoy the unique perks that each resort offers. Now that we've done so many split stays, we've found our favourites that we want to return to again and again!

So yes, totally doable and very fun! Just make sure you've got your time carefully planned out on your "switch day."

StephK

We have booked a split stay in October this year. 5 nights @ POR and 5 nights @ CBR. Can someone tell me, if we get up early, move our own bags and check in before the room is ready, can we still make room requests and leave our luggage in storage for the day?

LAM378

We have booked a split stay in October this year. 5 nights @ POR and 5 nights @ CBR. Can someone tell me, if we get up early, move our own bags and check in before the room is ready, can we still make room requests and leave our luggage in storage for the day?

Yes. Have the room requests noted on your reservation (if you haven't already). CBR will know what room you've been given even before your room is ready, and they'll be able to tell you if you got your requests; if you didn't, they might be able to move things around while you're gone for the day. Bell services will hold your luggage while you're gone.

Just be sure to stop at the desk and check out of POR before you leave there.

NCO91590

I've done a split stay and almost lost all of my DDP credits. We were staying in the same room, in the same resort, but for some reason (DVC nonsense), they had us listed in the system as checking in and checking out. We had been saving TS credits for a signature meal, not to mention all the snack credits. Luckily we thought to ask before they actually checked us out of the system. So, I guess I would just let you know that for DDP purposes, you will lose your points at midnight when you check out. Just something to remember.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

We usually do stuff like this, just to try out the resorts. Our honeymoon was one night at BCV, three nights at SS and two nights at BLT. Totally worth it, though I don't think I'll stay at SS again unless it's super cheap.

dreamfinder

I've done them a few times, nothing really to worry about. Simply repack, drop your bags at bell services and ask them to transfer to your new hotel. They should be there mid afternoon at the latest, possibly much earlier. If you pack wisely, you have one bag for the first part of your trip for everyone to use, and a different bag for the second part, so you only unpack what you need when you need it. No waste in time really, drop your bags, go to the park, and then when you are done at the park go to your new hotel, check in, grab your stuff and voila! New hotel.

Another issue is magic bands, do we get two sets. We'd need to make sure we don't mix them up and then of course is our meal plans.

You do, and it doesn't matter. As long as both reservations are linked to the same MDE account, the bands will work interchangeably. You can use bands from past trips, buy bands while you are there, whatever it doesn't matter.

Meal plans may be a problem if they force you to buy a ticket. Since tickets are front loaded price wise, and minute savings you get from the dining plan would be more than offset by the cost of the tickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom