Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxairmike

The burger is a platter, so fries on the side (a decent amount, too, if I remember right), and I'm pretty sure the plain hot dog was not much higher than the stand just down the street in front of the ride.

As for expecting better than Disney...no, its not better than Disney, but I don't think the environment lends itself to that kind of result either. And I'm a fan of whoever is pushing the envelope and giving me regular bang for my buck. Right now that happens to be Universal. I have no loyalty to any park or chain (I was disenchanted and learned that lesson several years ago working for a different chain), just a general love for the industry at large.

maxairmike

Exactly. I wouldn't call Terrace, Cosmic Ray's, or even most of the DAK CS locations excellently themed on their own. They're all part of a larger "system" that makes them seem much better than they are. FFB's "system" isn't yet done.

lazyboy97o

Springfield is a problem for "theming" because it is itself essentially a non-place. It is a sort of bland urban strip. By its very nature it cannot have depth and texture. This is probably one of the times I will ever say an intellectual property is needed, as tr show is what gives an otherwise non-place any sense of place.

Computer Magic

DAK can be pretty polarizing. I understand the viewpoint of those who love it, but the emphasis on animal exhibits and trails, although well done, makes it seem too much like a zoo. And my town has one of the best zoos in the country, including some highly themed trails and exhibits. But it doesn't cost $92, or even a MYW $50 for the day. Admission is zero, nada, zilch, so it's hard for me to get enthused about paying those amounts for DAK, with its small number of rides with broken effects.

One other point on MYW tickets. To me it takes incredible gall to provide 2 half-day parks, and then charge as much as they do for the "privilege" of park hopping. No thanks. We haven't added the park hopping option in many years. On the other hand, at Disneyland park hopping makes good sense.

Okay, one more point while I'm on a roll. There is a lot of debate about whether or not DAK is a half day park. But the ultimate authority, Disney themselves, think it is half day park because they only keep it open barely more than half a day during a good chunk of the year (only slight hyperbole).
My last trip in Feb, DHS closed before DAK many of nights and there wasn't any after dark DHS event.

Call me when I can visit your zoo see Disco Yeti, Nemo and Lion King, ride the rapids, get zapped by a bug, all for free ;-)

I never stay at any park for the entire day. I take a mid day break. So for $50 (park hopper and tax) per day I can visit as many parks for 8 days.

This is what's great about American, we can agree to disagree :)

|Q|

We do realize we are recreating something that is drawn in simple FLAT 2d animation right? The simpsons is not a highly textured environment... The recreation should be similarly flat and uniform...

Moe's looks cool, but i don't really like Barney's shiny look. I think he would have looked a lot better with a more matte finish.

71jason

Do you hate the Hog's Head in WWoHP then? Because there is seating for the Three Broomsticks in there too.

Ditto Finnegans. And there is an effort at Moe's to match the tables to the original in the show--observe the pool table.

In fairness, it looks like Duff Gardens will be more of a straight-up "bar," albeit outside, similar to High Octane in DHS, but larger.

Clever Name

Troll is likely.
Side note - In Uncle Walt's rumor magnum opus he mentions that a new adventure is coming to Magic Kingdom. Is that the PoTC adventure game? If so, isn't that confirmed and beyond rumor? Or is he referring to something substantial I have not heard about?
I knew it! They're going to replace the Tiki Room with Rappin' Hawaii Holiday and a tutorial about How To Rap (for the uninitiated):

71jason

The prices are the worst part of it IMO. $10 burgers.. (not meal.. burger).. was it $7 or $8 for the hotdog.. etc. Crazy pricing for standard fare stuff.

Right in line with WDW and Sea World (at least Uni and SW offer an AP discount):

Caseys--$7.59 for a dog/fries.

Pecos Bills--$10.59 for a burger roughly equivalent to the Clogger and fries

Agreed that's pricey, but hardly a new direction for Orlando theme parks.

stlphil

As
ToT has crazy money in ride system and infrastructure...
Splash has tons of money in scale and AAs...

Do you really think Splash is 'just a log flume'?

Both were very expensive attractions - but for different reasons.
Also don't forget that most of the AAs in the original Splash were reused from America Sings. Some of them weren't even re-skinned.

Trying to compare directly to ToT is accountant-think, not creative-think. That's why you get the false analogies.

stlphil

My last trip in Feb, DHS closed before DAK many of nights and there wasn't any after dark DHS event.

Call me when I can visit your zoo see Disco Yeti, Nemo and Lion King, ride the rapids, get zapped by a bug, all for free ;-)

I never stay at any park for the entire day. I take a mid day break. So for $50 (park hopper and tax) per day I can visit as many parks for 8 days.

This is what's great about American, we can agree to disagree :)
No disagreement at all. Like I said at the top of my post, if you like DAK I totally get it.

Calvin Coolidge

Springfield is a problem for "theming" because it is itself essentially a non-place. It is a sort of bland urban strip. By its very nature it cannot have depth and texture. This is probably one of the times I will ever say an intellectual property is needed, as tr show is what gives an otherwise non-place any sense of place.

This is the problem that I have with Dino-Rama. As detailed as it is, and as rich as its backstory may be, it is at face value just a cheap carnival, an one that cost a lot of money at that.

coolbeans14

Yes. Youre comparing E ride vs a cloned E Ride.

There shouldnt have been any developmental costs for DL's ToT

I didn't make that link, what am I like!

also, I don't think of Splash Mountain as just a log flume, I just would expect it to be cheaper than ToT-even a cloned version.

Clever Name

Follow my posts for guidance in this area. As anyone can tell you, I always stay on track and on time just like Casey Jones. Unlike Casey, I'm still alive. That reminds me, does Casey Jones ever appear at meet and greets?

Oh, and don't confuse Casey Jones with Choo Choo Charlie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom