Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

HMF

I think you intended to reply to @Prince Thomas ? I was there and saw it all. Horizons, Spaceship Earth Mk. 1 with Vic Perrin, Communicore with glass walls looking out onto ponds and greenery, UoE with the Radok panels, "Coming Soon" signs for Israel, Africa, etc., the rainbow tunnel upstairs in Journey Into Imagination, "Listen to the Land," double-decker buses circling the World Showcase promenade, Laserphonic Fantasy, The Bird and the Robot...

We shall never see the like again.

But yes, HMF, it's great that threads like this allow people who started going more recently to understand what it is they missed. Although I saw almost everything that ever was at WDW, I wish I could go back in time and visit Disneyland when it was still at the stage that things were being added and not replaced.
Has it ever been confirmed that it was Vic Perrin? Marty Sklar says it was Lawrence Dobkin.

JoeCamel

I think you intended to reply to @Prince Thomas ? I was there and saw it all. Horizons, Spaceship Earth Mk. 1 with Vic Perrin, Communicore with glass walls looking out onto ponds and greenery, UoE with the Radok panels, "Coming Soon" signs for Israel, Africa, etc., the rainbow tunnel upstairs in Journey Into Imagination, "Listen to the Land," double-decker buses circling the World Showcase promenade, Laserphonic Fantasy, The Bird and the Robot...

We shall never see the like again.

But yes, HMF, it's great that threads like this allow people who started going more recently to understand what it is they missed. Although I saw almost everything that ever was at WDW, I wish I could go back in time and visit Disneyland when it was still at the stage that things were being added and not replaced.
About 5 years ago I waiting for the welcome show/rope drop at The MK and was talking with a first timer. They asked about EPCOT after the other parks and all I could say after telling them AK and HS were places to experience was that EPCOT was just sad. The CM holding the crowd looked at me and asked "Why?".
Could have replied "if you were 25 years older you would know.... I just let it lie.

Slowjack

Has it ever been confirmed that it was Vic Perrin? Marty Sklar says it was Lawrence Dobkin.
Marty is wrong. I was told Perrin by the WDW PR department when the Jeremy Irons version was just opening. But you can hear for yourself. Here's Dobkin. Listen to this for a minute (narration starts about forty seconds in):

And here's Perrin. Listen to this:

And now listen to Martin's video. Start at 24:40 for a nice clear section of narration.

That's Perrin all the way. Same voice, same inflections, and quite different from Dobkin.

HMF

Am I the only one who finds it embarrassing that in a ride that is supposed to be historically accurate that in the 1969 Television Scene there is a copy of "The Beatles Greatest Hits from 1982?
3312412341_62e04f8a1b_b.jpg

Slowjack

About 5 years ago I waiting for the welcome show/rope drop at The MK and was talking with a first timer. They asked about EPCOT after the other parks and all I could say after telling them AK and HS were places to experience was that EPCOT was just sad. The CM holding the crowd looked at me and asked "Why?".
Could have replied "if you were 25 years older you would know.... I just let it lie.
Future World is so different that it's effectively a completely different park than what it was in the 80s, and much of it is shuttered. I just console myself that EPCOT Center was a World's Fair, and World Fairs are not meant to last.

Slowjack

Am I the only one who finds it embarrassing that in a ride that is supposed to be historically accurate that in the 1969 Television Scene there is a copy of "The Beatles Greatest Hits from 1982?
3312412341_62e04f8a1b_b.jpg
Ha! Nice catch. That reminds me of this exchange:

HMF

The album changes from time to time.. generally a xmas album around the holidays.. keep your eyes peeled next time your ride it..
Still, that is a big oversight. I have only ridden the 07 version once (Though I have watched it on youtube several times) I rode the 94 version multiple times.

Surfin' Tuna

Adding to the sadness that is Epcot, the TV in the moon landing scene has not worked for at least the last six weeks. We go every week and every week my kid asks the same question. Well all look fondly back at the Horizons days. My poor kid will have to look back fondly at the...?

Of course, I'll keep going though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Adding to the sadness that is Epcot, the TV in the moon landing scene has not worked for at least the last six weeks. We go every week and every week my kid asks the same question. Well all look fondly back at the Horizons days. My poor kid will have to look back fondly at the...?

Of course, I'll keep going though.
Still??!! Let me have a word.

MaximumEd

Made an account just to post in this thread. First, Martin, your videos are amazing and bring back some great memories. My wife, daughter, and myself just started going regularly to WDW and DL in 2014. Before that, I had only been to WDW once, and that was with my father in 1986. I was 13. About the only thing I remember from MK is Space Mountain and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Epcot, however, blew my little 13 year old geek mind! Journey Into Imagination was the coolest. Still have an old polaroid of me outside the ride with The Dreamfinder holding a small animatronic/puppet Figment. World of Motion is the thing I remember most. There was this concept vehicle called "The Lean Machine". It was a 3 wheeled prototype where the chassis stayed upright, but the passenger compartment would lean into a turn. Very cool. Horizons, SSE, Communicore, WOM, The Land, it was the coolest thing I had ever seen to that point. The Living Seas was still under construction and a couple months from opening, so I never got to see the original version of that, but I have fond memories of WOM and SSE like it was yesterday, even 30 years later. There are still things there I enjoy, but it kind of makes me sad every time I go now. Will be there in 2 weeks.

Slowjack

Made an account just to post in this thread. First, Martin, your videos are amazing and bring back some great memories. My wife, daughter, and myself just started going regularly to WDW and DL in 2014. Before that, I had only been to WDW once, and that was with my father in 1986. I was 13. About the only thing I remember from MK is Space Mountain and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Epcot, however, blew my little 13 year old geek mind! Journey Into Imagination was the coolest. Still have an old polaroid of me outside the ride with The Dreamfinder holding a small animatronic/puppet Figment. World of Motion is the thing I remember most. There was this concept vehicle called "The Lean Machine". It was a 3 wheeled prototype where the chassis stayed upright, but the passenger compartment would lean into a turn. Very cool. Horizons, SSE, Communicore, WOM, The Land, it was the coolest thing I had ever seen to that point. The Living Seas was still under construction and a couple months from opening, so I never got to see the original version of that, but I have fond memories of WOM and SSE like it was yesterday, even 30 years later. There are still things there I enjoy, but it kind of makes me sad every time I go now. Will be there in 2 weeks.
Welcome to the boards! That was about my experience, too. I'd been to WDW as a small child twice with my whole family, but didn't remember much. Then when I was 14, my father and I went to EPCOT Center, just the two of us. My dad was an engineer by education and a city planner by occupation, and was an early believer in things like geographic information systems and personal rapid transit. So he was as inspired and impressed by the park as I was.

Goofyernmost

Can confirm it wasn't working first week of February. Kind of ruins the whole scene.
I mentioned that it wasn't working when I was there in the third week of February. That has me concerned, It cannot be that big a deal to fix that unless they are having a problem finding a working, 1960's TV, but, I would think that they could scrape up something. I don't suppose there are many old time picture tubes around anymore. Flat screen would be wrong in many directions. Seems like they should be able to manufacture something that looks like a TV but is just a rear projection thing, if that isn't what it is already.

The problem with that scene is that it is so glaringly obvious that it isn't working that it couldn't even be helped by a strobe light and a disco ball.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I mentioned that it wasn't working when I was there in the third week of February. That has me concerned, It cannot be that big a deal to fix that unless they are having a problem finding a working, 1960's TV, but, I would think that they could scrape up something. I don't suppose there are many old time picture tubes around anymore. Flat screen would be wrong in many directions. Seems like they should be able to manufacture something that looks like a TV but is just a rear projection thing, if that isn't what it is already.
You'll probably find it's a modern screen behind a fresnel in a false box.

I'm chasing it up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom