Spaceship Earth Burning Rome Scene

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's not finished, it's just there. Maybe to TDO it's finished, but no, it isn't.

And sorry people have a different opinion than you do. Isn't it terrible?

When an artist decides his painting is finished - it's finished. If you decide you think it needs more color - then you have just destroyed the artists artwork.

aladdin2007

When an artist decides his painting is finished - it's finished. If you decide you think it needs more color - then you have just destroyed the artists artwork.

More color? It doesnt have any color. They opted to not follow through with original plans (otherwise it would have been artwork) so were left with crap in there falling apart. This is considered finished to TDO yes, but its far from finished according to the original plans. But it looks like until some day in the future when a new sponsor comes along, were stuck with it as is. TDO and Siemens :hurl:

Oddysey

ITs sheer speculation by people on this board....The descent is finished.

If you go looking for garbage, you will find garbage. If you sit and watch what is programmed for you, then you wouldn't be looking up at the ceiling to find it -- just like any "show"....sit too far to the side of the orchestra and you will see the people waiting in the wings to come on for their next scene....and you will see the garbage "backstage" too --

A lot of complaining about nothing because people here like to do that.

The trash is the most apparent right after the video ends so the show that was programmed for me was over. I wasn't looking for garbage, but once the programmed show exposed the ending screen I looked upwards. Since the cars are tilted so that the passengers look upward, the intended or programmed show became the ceiling. At that time I happend to notice some things on the ceiling/wiring that looked like crumpled up fast food bags lying along the structure. I certainly wasn't looking up there thinking "I wonder if I can find garbage on the ceiling." In fact, the ceiling is the last place that I would expect or think to be searching when or if I were searching for garbage. Instead it stuck out like a sore thumb, and I was happy to see that a fellow poster noticed it also.

HMF

More color? It doesnt have any color. They opted to not follow through with original plans (otherwise it would have been artwork) so were left with crap in there falling apart. This is considered finished to TDO yes, but its far from finished according to the original plans. But it looks like until some day in the future when a new sponsor comes along, were stuck with it as is. TDO and Siemens :hurl:

I personally think the descent as it is now is all that was planned, Though that does not make it less bad. . What happened to Spaceship Earth is a tragedy. I can only hope that it will one day return to it's former greatness.

HMF

The artist was WDI. So no, its still not finished.

You have far more faith in WDI than they deserve. As bad as TDO is WDI is not blameless, TDO did not write the narration or come up with the stupid screen-based ending or tear out the beautiful 94 ending set pieces and replace them with cardboard triangles with blacklight on them

cooleo

SSE is my favorite attraction & the Burning Rome scene is my favorite of that attraction. It is horrible what they have done to the descent. Also, They have to get rid of the Judy Dench spiel. Usually when you update a ride, you would expect they would "Plus" it. In this case they did the opposite in my opinion. Still my favorite but but nearly as much as it was.

aladdin2007

You have far more faith in WDI than they deserve. As bad as TDO is WDI is not blameless, TDO did not write the narration or come up with the stupid screen-based ending or tear out the beautiful 94 ending set pieces and replace them with cardboard triangles with blacklight on them

Good point, those were not TDO choices your right. Those traingles did have an intended purpose to do more, it just wasnt carried out to completion.

misterID

Yes, but this isn't like Imagination where Fitz completely destroyed it. And trust me, I have problems with WDI. But there was an actual awesome plan for the descent and it got chopped by TDO.

aladdin2007

Yes, but this isn't like Imagination where Fitz completely destroyed it. And trust me, I have problems with WDI. But there was an actual awesome plan for the descent and it got chopped by TDO.

Bingo! the sponsor sure didnt come to the rescue in this case either.

ADP2

After 2 years I think it's safe to give our opinions about the updated SSE attraction. We've had enough time to digest the changes and form opinions.

I think with SSE they've plussed it in some areas and minused it in others.
Plus - The ride vehicles now have vidoe monitors making it interactive.
Plus - the animatronics
Plus - Some of the show scenes
Plus - The story to include the Information Age
Plus - The post show area

Minus - The Narrator - Not as powerful of a message with Judy Dench
Minus - Some of the show scenes
Minus - The decent
Minus - The track still needs some WD-40

I think we all feel when an attraction goes down for a major refurbishment it should come back with everything plussed. When we see a number of minues or loss of show we feel like we got cheated. That's probably the case with SSE.

PhilharMagician

After 2 years I think it's safe to give our opinions about the updated SSE attraction. We've had enough time to digest the changes and form opinions.

I think with SSE they've plussed it in some areas and minused it in others.
Plus - The ride vehicles now have vidoe monitors making it interactive.
Plus - the animatronics
Plus - Some of the show scenes
Plus - The story to include the Information Age
Plus - The post show area

Minus - The Narrator - Not as powerful of a message with Judy Dench
Minus - Some of the show scenes
Minus - The decent
Minus - The track still needs some WD-40

I think we all feel when an attraction goes down for a major refurbishment it should come back with everything plussed. When we see a number of minues or loss of show we feel like we got cheated. That's probably the case with SSE.

I unfortunately put a lot more minus' in my list

Minus - The ride vehicles now have monitors (horrible idea in my book. It really really seems out of place)
Minus - loss of light tunnel on top
Minus - Narration timing at top when turn to "our SSE"
Minus - Paper boy selling papers to the wall
Minus - Missing chariot
Minus - The loss of the decent show scenes to finish the story
Minus - Loss of Jeremy Irons narration.
Minus - Removal of space station to never be used again
Minus - Not repairing or modifying the track to remove the speed bumps

Plus - The post show

You both forgot a minus that is the topic of this thread!

minus - Burning rome smells like 'stale "I think that used to smell like it was burning" Rome'

G00fyDad

This thread is the "poster child" for typical broken attraction threads. :ROFLOL:

"Spaceship Earth's burning Rome smell is broken! Fix it!"
"Yeah TDO! Fix it!"
"That's right we deserve to have it fixed and you're lazy good for nothings if you don't!"

"Oh, wait.... they fixed it? Crap.... Now what can we gripe about?"

"There's trash everywhere on the ride!"
"Yeah, the decent is screwed up!"
"Get rid of monitors in the vehicles!"
"Paper boy is facing a wall!"

Don't hate me for this post. It is a d**n accurate depiction of the way things typically go. I do have to give people here credit though. At least they mentioned that they were happy about the smell returning for a little bit before the onslaught of newly re-opened complaints hit.

And yes. I agree with every single thing that is being proclaimed wrong with SSE in this thread. I just find the near bi-polar attitude hilarious.

Oddysey

This thread is the "poster child" for typical broken attraction threads. :ROFLOL:

"Spaceship Earth's burning Rome smell is broken! Fix it!"
"Yeah TDO! Fix it!"
"That's right we deserve to have it fixed and you're lazy good for nothings if you don't!"

"Oh, wait.... they fixed it? Crap.... Now what can we gripe about?"

"There's trash everywhere on the ride!"
"Yeah, the decent is screwed up!"
"Get rid of monitors in the vehicles!"
"Paper boy is facing a wall!"

Don't hate me for this post. It is a d**n accurate depiction of the way things typically go. I do have to give people here credit though. At least they mentioned that they were happy about the smell returning for a little bit before the onslaught of newly re-opened complaints hit.

And yes. I agree with every single thing that is being proclaimed wrong with SSE in this thread. I just find the near bi-polar attitude hilarious.

This is very true and pretty funny.

PhilharMagician

You both forgot a minus that is the topic of this thread!

minus - Burning rome smells like 'stale "I think that used to smell like it was burning" Rome'

Not forgotten. It is an issue, but not part of the attraction overhaul a few years ago.

Currently there are more issues than just the smoke smell in Rome, but those are standard ongoing maintenance issues. :brick: I personally expect breakdowns at times and problems with effects but they should be down for maybe a few hours or days as parts are procured, not weeks, months or indefinately.:brick:

HMF

I unfortunately put a lot more minus' in my list

Minus - The ride vehicles now have monitors (horrible idea in my book. It really really seems out of place)
Minus - loss of light tunnel on top
Minus - Narration timing at top when turn to "our SSE"
Minus - Paper boy selling papers to the wall
Minus - Missing chariot
Minus - The loss of the decent show scenes to finish the story
Minus - Loss of Jeremy Irons narration.
Minus - Removal of space station to never be used again
Minus - Not repairing or modifying the track to remove the speed bumps

Plus - The post show

Minus-censoring Renaissance sculpture to protect young eyes, Who cares about historical accuracy
Minus-Apparently in the 70s Scientists working on mainframe computers came to work dressed like strippers .

HMF

I believe Fitz was working in Theme Park Productions at the time and had little if anything to do with the Imagination debacle, the Producer on that project was Orin Shivley I believe. BTW, How do you know there was a plan for the descent other than internet speculation? It would seem to me if they really wanted to keep your attention on the screen they would not plan to distract you from it with actual active scenery. All in all Bob Zalk and company did a wonderful job tearing the heart out of what was probably the greatest ride I had ever been on and turning it into a pale shadow of it's former greatness.

For one thing, I wish the interactive "video" had some more variability with it. I seem to always get the same combination, even when trying to choose different answers. Now the only way I get to have something different is to choose a theme for my facial expression ahead of time :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom