Space Mountain

SpiffyScribbles

Original Poster
It's been made darker, but Space Mountain is not in total darkness. You'll be able to see the track if you sit up front.
That's comforting to know. I really think I wanna at least try it once when I go again. I'll probably like it actually. I just have a tendency to build things like this up in my head.

JillC LI

I do not care for most thrill rides but it is primarily because I don't like that feeling of my stomach lurching on the big drops. I have no problem with BTMRR. I do not particularly enjoy that last big drop on Splash but I tolerate it because it is so quick and I want to enjoy the rest of the ride. I rode Everest once and will never do so again because of the drops. I am fine on RNRC because there are no drops, and the darkness and speed does not bother me. I will ride Space Mtn once per trip. I do not find it nauseating at all, and the darkness does not bother me. However, there are a few mini drops which are borderline for me being able to handle them. I do feel that Space is rougher than RNRC. I think that if I could handle Space, then someone like you probably could too. I'd do what you said and try it once towards the end of the day, not after eating, so you can decide for yourself. I'm glad I tried Everest once so I can say I experienced it even though I never want to experience it again! (Same for ToT by the way.)

BJones82

I think the motion sickness all depends on the individual, my Fiancée gets very sick from car rides but loves roller coasters and Space Mountain is one of her top rides at MK to do every time we visit and she doesn't get sick on it.

Just food for thought, sometimes you never know until you try it for yourself :)

PinnySmart

I don't ride any longer, it is the roughest coaster I have been on outside of BG's Gwazi ad they are tearing that down. Plus I am getting too old and fat to be sitting in a bucket tossing around in the dark. I have fond memories of riding the Matterhorn as a kid though. the RVs on space are hard to get into and out of if you are not agile.
It was always a favorite up until a year or so ago when I turned 40. It is just hard to get in and out of. Hopefully it will get the Disneyland treatment sooner or later.

MarkTwain

It's been made darker, but Space Mountain is not in total darkness. You'll be able to see the track if you sit up front.

This. If you look sit up front and look carefully you should be able to see the track for most of the ride.

@SpiffyScribbles , you sound just like me before I rode it. I rode (and loved) rides like Thunder, Splash, and Test Track many times, but avoided Space Mountain because of all the fear I built up around it.

One night I finally plucked up the courage and rode it... and realized it was just Thunder Mountain in the dark. I've since ridden it many times and have never had any problems or feelings queasiness afterward. Even the "big" (?) drop isn't what it used to be with the brakes that slow the vehicles down. Ride Thunder Mountain with your eyes shut and you will have a VERY similar experience to Space Mountain.

I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

P.S. I'm also of the opinion that the front seats are tamer than the back, so that may be another incentive to ask for the front.

SpiffyScribbles

Original Poster
This. If you look sit up front and look carefully you should be able to see the track for most of the ride.

@SpiffyScribbles , you sound just like me before I rode it. I rode (and loved) rides like Thunder, Splash, and Test Track many times, but avoided Space Mountain because of all the fear I built up around it.

One night I finally plucked up the courage and rode it... and realized it was just Thunder Mountain in the dark. I've since ridden it many times and have never had any problems or feelings queasiness afterward. Even the "big" (?) drop isn't what it used to be with the brakes that slow the vehicles down. Ride Thunder Mountain with your eyes shut and you will have a VERY similar experience to Space Mountain.

I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

P.S. I'm also of the opinion that the front seats are tamer than the back, so that may be another incentive to ask for the front.
Thanks for the encouragement :) I think I will try the front if they'll let me request it. It's funny you mentioned that because I actually prefer the back of Thunder Mountain because it feels faster.

SpiffyScribbles

Original Poster
Just for comparison, RCDB says Big Thunder Mountain Railroad hits a top speed of 36 mph whereas Space Mountain only ever gets to 27 mph.
The speed isn't my main concern. I've ridden and enjoyed Test Track with no problem. I think I'm more worried about the stomach dropping sensation when going down hills. Would you say it's comparible to the feeling on Splash Mountain or worse?

lazyboy97o

The speed isn't my main concern. I've ridden and enjoyed Test Track with no problem. I think I'm more worried about the stomach dropping sensation when going down hills. Would you say it's comparible to the feeling on Splash Mountain or worse?
It's all very little drops. The biggest, before the brakes were added, was probably most comparable to the little drop on Splash Mountain where you go right back up.

Prog

The drops are mild but not being able to anticipate them kind of amplifies the adrenaline, like how pirates feels worse than Maelstrom. It's still not a very wild ride and enjoyed it even when I was young and despised drops.

imagineer boy

This clip of both sides with the lights on will help you judge:

I don't like drops either, but most of the drops on Space are fine for me. The last one can cause a little bit of that sensation but its brief.

alissafalco

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I'll probably steer away from Space Mountain for now, with the exception of Youtube POVs of course.
You're not missing anything. I just rode in January and it was very rough and jerky and I got banged around, it actually wasn't fun at all. Stick to Thunder now that's fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom