Space Mountain

SpiffyScribbles

Original Poster
I have no plans to go to Disney World anytime soon (though I wish I did), but I had some questions about Space Mountain so as to be better informed for my next visit.
I am not much of a thrill ride person. I ride and enjoy Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Test track and was wondering if they would be considered on the same level as Space Mountain. I've heard that it's basically Thunder Mountain in the dark, but I've also heard it's not uncommon for it to cause motion sickness. Have any of you had experiance with that?

wdwfan4ver

I never had any problems with motion sickness with Space Mountain, but I haven't been on the ride since trim brakes was added in September of 2013. The Trim Breaks were added due to how bad the condition of the structure of track is thanks to a 2009 refurbishment that had a budget cut.

The concern should be the back due to the condition of the track. I am bringing this up because 3 years ago A person I know had their back bothering them after being on Space Mountain. The catch is that person didn't have any back issues prior to that ride.

JoeCamel

I don't ride any longer, it is the roughest coaster I have been on outside of BG's Gwazi ad they are tearing that down. Plus I am getting too old and fat to be sitting in a bucket tossing around in the dark. I have fond memories of riding the Matterhorn as a kid though. the RVs on space are hard to get into and out of if you are not agile.

mergatroid

I never had any problems with motion sickness with Space Mountain, but I haven't been on the ride since trim brakes was added in September of 2013. The Trim Breaks were added due to how bad the condition of the structure of track is thanks to a 2009 refurbishment that had a budget cut.

The concern should be the back due to the condition of the track. I am bringing this up because 3 years ago A person I know had their back bothering them after being on Space Mountain. The catch is that person didn't have any back issues prior to that ride.

For me that's ruined the best part of the ride, the one 'big' drop.

HouCuseChickie

While this is true with roller coasters in general, I've found a very obvious ride difference in the various seating spots in the cars. In some seats, it's very bouncy ride while in other spots it's less of an issue.

As for the scare factor, my older daughter was finally tall enough to ride the 44" rides in 2013. The rides you noted beyond Space were never an issue for her, but I was curious to see how she'd respond to Everest and Space Mountain. She loved EE...talks all the time about wanting to ride again. Space on the other hand terrified her and I don't know when she'll be ready to go back on. I'm not sure if it was the dark, the bouncing about or the combo of these things. I realize it's different with a child, but just figured I'd share her story since clearly she was fine with EE.

DizneyPryncess

Space Mountain is the only coaster I dislike at WDW. I find it to be more jerky than the others. I get nauseated on it, and it hurts my neck & back afterward for a little while. I'm like you, I'm not a big thrill ride person - but I do like BTMR, EE & Splash.

DisneyPrincess5

To me, Space is definitely similar to Thunder. The difference I see is that due to the pitch blackness, it does tend to make me a bit dizzy and it takes me a minute to get reoriented when I'm off. It's fun and I love it, but it does take a minute to recollect. Usually by the time I'm out the doors to Tomorrowland, I'm fine. When you do go back, I say try it once at the end of the day 1-2 hours after you eat.

ItlngrlBella

I last rode it in 2013. It was rough and my instinct always when I ride it is "duck" my head constanly because when I ride it I feel like my head is going to hit something above (since you catch glimpses of track above you and it's so dark). In my case, my back and neck were sore from tensing up and ducking.

Not sure if this helps but this is what I found online in regards to its layout:

image.jpg

image.jpg

SpiffyScribbles

Original Poster
I last rode it in 2013. It was rough and my instinct always when I ride it is "duck" my head constanly because when I ride it I feel like my head is going to hit something above (since you catch glimpses of track above you and it's so dark). In my case, my back and neck were sore from tensing up and ducking.

Not sure if this helps but this is what I found online in regards to its layout:

View attachment 90165

View attachment 90166
Thanks for the pictures! I don't think I've seen the top one before, and it's pretty interesting.

Prog

Space Mountain is a favorite among my family, ages 9-69, and varying degrees of back condition.
It's far from the roughest ride I've ridden. That would be Lake Compounce's Wildcat, which did a number on my back... at age 12. I hear it's been refurbished recently, though.

Lee

Adventurer

View attachment 90165

View attachment 90166
Martin's diagram is, naturally, accurate.
The model in the bottom photo...not so much.

Lee

Adventurer
Space Mountain is a favorite among my family, ages 9-69, and varying degrees of back condition.
It's far from the roughest ride I've ridden. That would be Lake Compounce's Wildcat, which did a number on my back... at age 12. I hear it's been refurbished recently, though.
Sadly, Space Mountain is now 30 years old, and has yet to have a full track refurb. It shows.

EvilQueen-T

I'm not a big thrill ride person either because of a history of motion sickness...it's part of why I love going to disney. I've never had any problem on space. I agree with others that it is more jerky but not to the point that I don't enjoy it or would ever think of skipping it. Thunder is my favorite. I do get motion sick on star tours and everest but never on the others you've mentioned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom