Space Mountain Question: The Green Screen Effect

Tom

Beta Return
Around it's opening, a couple of tech guys said that the green screen effect was cut from the budget. Who knows if we will ever see it working.

I saw this masterpiece for the first time today.

Could they have at least printed a sign in the sign shop that was on a solid piece of fiberglass or plastic instead of this cheap vinyl banner?

At least they spent a lot of time hanging the black fabric behind it, nice and straight and taught. Oh wait...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am curious about the IR or UV tech you are talking about, I have never seen or heard of it and I try to stay current with new tech in the industry.
I saw a demo at work for `on the fly` keying; basically this kit was in a suitcase; a ring of IR LEDs that sat round the lens facing the subject/screen, and a reflective cloth that is actually designed to only bounce light back from the direction of the source ie the LEDs and lens. Key onto only the IR part of the spectrum and you have near invisible to the eye keying. I admit the scale of this was really for head a shoulders shots but upscale it and don`t worry about the bouce (use more than just LEDs as a key source) and you have non-green (or blue) keying.

Skyway

I remember the head Imagineer on the project (name?) was quoted in the Orlando Sentinel saying that the green screen would be used to put people in the locations "advertised" in the post show scenes.

That would seem to shed doubt on the budget cut theory.

But why has it taken nearly 2 months to install?

_Scar

You're right, thats why we have triangles in SSE that don't do anyhting :lol:

At the time I first rode SSE after the refurb I didn't realize it was unfinished at all. But after you see the green screen and a cheap banner on the otherside, it's common sense something is not working and it looks cheap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom