Space Mountain closing intermittently in September

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
It is a dying breed of Arrow. It sums the company up to its finest point alongside of Lochness Monster. Edge of your seat but secure, fast, quick direction changes, and unique. Last thing any place needs is these over height and over smooth coaster that take the fun of a coaster away.
The smooth gigas (B&M and other) has their string points as well. Raging Bull at SFGA, and Apollo's Chariot down your way are smooth as heck, but they are great coasters. But smooth and small can indeed lead to a little boring. Of course, Space Mountan avoids that with effects and theming.

DicksonGR

I'm another that really likes the bumps on MK's SM. As has been said it adds to the experience. I hope they dont slow it down too much!

I'll be disappointed if it is shut for the first MNSSHP. But then I guess they're not going to open it up specially for an event. Hopefully I'm wrong ...

GLaDOS

It is a dying breed of Arrow. It sums the company up to its finest point alongside of Lochness Monster. Edge of your seat but secure, fast, quick direction changes, and unique. Last thing any place needs is these over height and over smooth coaster that take the fun of a coaster away.

Except Loch Ness has been taken care of over the years and isn't uncomfortable to ride.

I don't care about a few bumps here and there, but WDW's Space has become a ride I skip for how uncomfortable and sometimes downright painful it is.

beachlover4444

this ride needed to be slowed down in spots. I love this ride and been to the parks over 40 times in the last 25 years. When they sped it up, it didn't make it better. It kind of made it jerkier and less smoothe. There are times when you need the slow down spots before the next burst of speed to give you the lift and air time. It is almost so fast in spots that it is uncomfortable. The banking wasn't meant for that extra speed in certain parts of the ride. So I hope it gets better - and safer.

beachlover4444

And I'd like to see a little more black light effect. The 100 per cent darkness gets a little annoying. You start straining to see and it gets frustrating.

Skibum1970

There is one drop. Timed perfectly to the onboard music.

It's a great drop for such a small space. Having just rode DL's Space Mountain last week for the first time, I will gladly endorse it far over the MK version. It feels fast without the jerkiness of MK's and the onboard soundtrack rocks. The whole ride just feels so much more fun and out-of-control but not in a Crazy Train (We're goin' off the rails) sort of way. I found myself wishing that they would replace MK's with the DL version.

hokielutz

Maybe it was just too smooth? I'll check it out again this fall. :)

The drop in DL seemed more in like with one of the minor drops from the WDW version. Yes it is sync'd well with the music... but I didn't get the feeling that the DL drop was anything significant. My wife and I both agreed we were waiting and waiting for an exciting drop... but it never materialized.

WDITrent

I'll give you that one. Disneyland's Space Mountain doesn't have any drops like WDW's biggest. But overall it is much more gratifying. If anything, it makes me think about how much better WDW's Space Mountain would be than Disneyland's – with the potential in a much more fun track layout – if only it were fixed up properly.

Glasgow

Put me in the camp that prefers WDW's version. I thought DL's, while faster and smoother, wasn't imaginative enough with their track layout so you can always seem to predict the next turn. Splitting hairs, I know - maybe it's a bit of nostalgia or the fact the WDW SM cars are still inline, dunno. I did prefer the loading area in DL's SM, with the large space-port room, plus the LIM launch.

RSoxNo1

In my opinion, Space Mountain in Florida is the most overrated attraction on property (followed closely by Peter Pan's Flight). I would much rather ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Journey of the Little Mermaid than Space and Pan.

As for Space Mountain in Disney World vs. Disneyland, I don't think it's particularly close. While the track layout of Florida may be superior, it's more or less irrelevant in my mind because the track is so rough (except in seat 5 for some reason). Disneyland is a much smoother ride, has a fantastic on board audio track, and better effects. I couldn't think of a day at Disneyland without going on Space Mountain, while in Florida it happens all the time for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom