Soarin'

Sledge

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I posted this in another thread but I didn't think it was noticed so I thought I'd post it again in it's own thread. Hopefully that is ok.

I have only been to California once in my life and it was about a year before CA opened so obviously I haven't been on Soarin'. I was just wondering what it was like. When I ask I usually get "Your feet hang and it's like a hang glider over California." Yep, could have told yuh that one. Is it in one big room where the IMAX is all over the ground and you can see a bunch of other "gliders" around you or does it go into different rooms? To me it sounded like the modern day Peter Pan. The more details you can give... the better. :D

Thanks mucho.

Lee

Adventurer
It's all in one room.
87 guests are suspended in a giant mechanism which lifts you into the air.
While in the air, you hang in front of a giant Omnimax screen which, when aided by synchronized movements of the ride system, gives you the sensation of flying over various landscapes.

Here is a piece of concept art that might help you get the idea.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
The "gliders" are in sets of three that are lined up one in front of the other when you board. The floor is concrete and lit by floor lighting that reminds you of runway lights. The gliders are a long bench seat with only lapbelts as there is not motion that would move you in your seat (probably more so to keep you from bailing once the ride has started).

The ride starts with the gliders moving to stack up with the front glider taking the top position. This "lift" into position is fairly quick and gives a nice little rush. The top glider is fairly high in the room and the bottom only a few feet up, but in the dark and looking forward, you don't notice your height in the room.

The "Omnivision" screen is a parabolic in front and above you. The motion and sensation come primarily from movement of the film. (If you have ever been in a regular Omnivision movie where you skim landscape, go over a cliff or whatever, you know what I mean). There is slight movement from the gliders, a breeze blown in your face that also contribute to the feeling of motion. Added in for good measure are smells that are added at appropriate points in the trip. So for all intents and purposes, you don't move during the show (as you do for Peter Pan or omnimovers).

Hope that gives you the additional information you are looking for.

stitchcastle

Is the WDW version gonna have gliders too? cause if it will be on gliders then it won't fit at all with their "airport" concept.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
stitchcastle said:
Is the WDW version gonna have gliders too? cause if it will be on gliders then it won't fit at all with their "airport" concept.
Yes its a direct lift from DCA. The airport theme doesnt mean it has to be a jet airliner that you board. Airports have all kinds of aircraft types, jets, gliders, microlites, helicopters etc. :)

KevinPage

wdwmagic said:
Yes its a direct lift from DCA. The airport theme doesnt mean it has to be a jet airliner that you board. Airports have all kinds of aircraft types, jets, gliders, microlites, helicopters etc. :)

Steve,

Any word if the musical score and Patrick Warburton briefing are going to be exactly the same?

mattb

wdwmagic said:
Don't forget the "airports" that are (and were) Space Mountain and Horizons.

Disney's use of the word "-port" can be interpreted many ways.

Lee

Adventurer
will_hsv said:
How many theaters are there? I am sure there would need to be more than one to get a good throughput.

There are 2 theatres.

sounds like a similar set up to the back to the future ride technology at universal

Ummmmm....kind of similar...but not exactly. True, you are in a big room seeing a film and moving around, but that is all the similarity.
It's not nearly as intense, but is a more exhilarating experience.
Back to the Future can be kind of violent.....Soarin is smooth as silk.

dxwwf3

Lee said:
It's not nearly as intense, but is a more exhilarating experience.
Back to the Future can be kind of violent.....Soarin is smooth as silk.

BTTF is the most "violent" attraction in Orlando. I would enjoy the attraction alot more if got to sit on the inside of the front row. That way I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning up the blood after having my head pounded against the side of the car for 3 minutes :lol:

Seriously though, BTTF COULD be a really good attraction, but it's just too rough and uncomfortable.

Can't wait to see Soarin. Even if it isn't a "thrill" ride, it still looks great and it sort of reminds me of a Horizons throwback (with the omnimax screens and the orange scent).

trdisneyfan

Also, in Soarin, everyone starts out on the ground, and the whole contraption is hoisted up into the air. If you're in the front row when you load onto the ride, you'll be on the top row when the seats are raised vertically. And if you're in that front row you'll be pretty darn high off the ground during the show. If you're in the second or third row, you can see the feet of the people in the row in front/on top of you dangling from the seats.

If you haven't been on it, I think they've shown it on a few of those Travel channel specials on WDW. They have an interview with one of the Imagineers who designed the ride system, and he shows how he came up with the lift system on an old Erector set, and he explains the lifting system with this miniature version he used as a prototype. It's pretty cool.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
If there isn't any "movement", why is the GD building so big? How far are you from the screen? How high are you lifted?

GymLeaderPhil

corran horn said:
Ho-ho-no. That'd be 'Wild Arctic' at Sea World.
Which is why there's a walk-on entrance to the Polar Bear exhibit at the end. I always feel like I'm going into Ice Station Cool and having a Beverly when I exit the motion simulator.
-Phil

Lee

Adventurer
Thrawn said:
If there isn't any "movement", why is the GD building so big? How far are you from the screen? How high are you lifted?

Why so big? The screens are 80ft tall and the ride mechanism is rather large.

How far from the screen? Eh...30ft or so....

How high are you lifted? Front row goes highest, around 35-40ft I believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom