So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 15: Uniting Universal (Official Hub Thread)

spacemt354

Chili's
UniMK is the toughie, so thoughts on that first. I'm agreed that it's unrealistic to include E.T. or BTTF in a new park. In fact, USJ replaced their BTTF with a Minions clone just this year :cry:, so it'd be realistic and also disciplined if we forced ourselves to use Uni's hot properties (Minions, Fast & Furious, etc.) in their place.

For the "animation" area...Uni owns their own animation studio now, Illumination Entertainment. They've done Despicable Me, Minions, Secret Life of Pets, and Sing so far, with plenty more stuff in production. Let's follow the Fantasyland model for Illumination, with a cartoony modern city sort of combining Pets' NY and Sing's Santa Monica (and wherever Despicable Me is) serving as a unified setting like Fantasyland's Bavarian village. Do attractions for all of Illumination's big hits so far (they have several among Uni's top 20 worldwide grossers, including all I've listed), plus expansion space for future Illumination successes. Call the area Illumination Station maybe. They're a down-market Pixar with a unified aesthetic, could give this area some solid identity. And with this, we can remove Sesame Street.

(Illumination also does Seuss adaptations, like The Lorax already, and Grinch Xmas and Cat in Hat to come. With a Whoville area in UniSea, let's save this stuff for there.)

My only other thought to help out UniMK is to offer up space for certain IPs in UniSea as needed. Example, if Jaws doesn't fit UniMK, the seaside Amity Village would work well between the Victorian docks and then Skull Island. I see UniSea as a more "legacy" park in many ways, with its 1930s Monsters and 1930s Kong, so an older classic property like Jaws could work out well there if needed.

Regarding UniSea's Old World sci-fi area...Though I'd suggested Doctor Who as an option (which would require licensing :arghh:), I like space's suggestion of classic sci-fi literature. Since DisneySea has its Verne area, an obvious counterpart is to do H.G. Wells, with rides for The Time Machine, War of the Worlds, and The Island of Dr. Moreau (transition to Kong). (Uni Monsters boasts Wells' Invisible Man.) It's unusual for Universal, since it's not really a movie adaptation land (War of the Worlds ought to be Victorian vintage, not Spielberg's modern version), but it could be really cool, and it's guaranteed to be timeless!

Were there earlier suggestions for a Les Miz land or ride which I missed? No mattter, it might be simple enough to do a Paris miniland transitioning from Victorian London over to Transylvania. Use the Paris Opera House, home of the Phantom, as transition. (A Victorian London transition option - a mummy exhibit at the Museum of London.)

I'm fine with LOTR and Westeros both as possibilities for the expansion pad. Let's ponder properties Uni own which could work here instead of them.

Will continue to think on the UniMK dilemma. Nice ideas thus far everyone! :)
Illumination Station or something like that sounds like a great way to mix the animated versions of those various locations similar to how Fantasyland does it! Really like that suggestion!

I think you've got a really good hold on UniSEA - if you'd like to sketch up your vision for it however brief over the next day or so or whenever you get back to the states - you're more than welcome to! I'll try to tackle this UniMK dilemma. I think a solution will come, and I actually think removing the old properties and going for the new ones might alliveate some of the issues. It opens things up, and allows Jaws a quaint location in UniSEA rather than adding to the horror/mystery element to this park.

I also might try and throw in some original attractions, similar to what Universal Studios did with Twister and Earthquake, Rip Ride Rock it, etc -- so that it feels more MK style and less like a redo of Universal Studios Orlando or any other Studio park.

Main goal and tough nut to crack is that balance between the IPs and their transitions. Works much better when each is in their own exclusive village like inUniSEA (and I can't wait to see the vision for that park!) going to take some time to ponder for UniMK (and all suggestions are open!) The only goal is to not create a duplicate of this

Last edited:

D Hulk

Illumination Station or something like that sounds like a great way to mix the animated versions of those various locations similar to how Fantasyland does it! Really like that suggestion!

I think you've got a really good hold on UniSEA - if you'd like to sketch up your vision for it however brief over the next day or so or whenever you get back to the states - you're more than welcome to! I'll try to tackle this UniMK dilemma. I think a solution will come, and I actually think removing the old properties and going for the new ones might alliveate some of the issues. It opens things up, and allows Jaws a quaint location in UniSEA rather than adding to the horror/mystery element to this park.

I also might try and throw in some original attractions, similar to what Universal Studios did with Twister and Earthquake, Rip Ride Rock it, etc -- so that it feels more MK style and less like a redo of Universal Studios Orlando or any other Studio park.

Main goal and tough nut to crack is that balance between the IPs and their transitions. Works much better when each is in their own exclusive village like inUniSEA (and I can't wait to see the vision for that park!) going to take some time to ponder for UniMK (and all suggestions are open!) The only goal is to not create a duplicate of this
USF_1day_map.jpg
Best of luck with your UniMK work. Those transitions will indeed be tricky. Maybe easiest is with green space, like from horror forests to adventure jungles? The only UniSea transitions I'm unsure about are those into Whoville from anyplace else. I'll figure that out.

My flight is tomorrow - or, tomorrow in Japan, I think they're like 3 days ahead of the U.S. or something o_O. Likely I won't have any chances to sketch then. Will be busy sleeping and rereading IT.

BTW, Earthquake and Twister weren't original. They were based on the movies Earthquake and Twister (respectively), well-forgotten 70s and 90s disaster films. But do by all means look up USJ's Space Fantasy, which is a total original - like a spinning version of Space Mountain ;) with a crazy anime aesthetic. Could be good inspiration!

spacemt354

Chili's
Best of luck with your UniMK work. Those transitions will indeed be tricky. Maybe easiest is with green space, like from horror forests to adventure jungles? The only UniSea transitions I'm unsure about are those into Whoville from anyplace else. I'll figure that out.

My flight is tomorrow - or, tomorrow in Japan, I think they're like 3 days ahead of the U.S. or something o_O. Likely I won't have any chances to sketch then. Will be busy sleeping and rereading IT.

BTW, Earthquake and Twister weren't original. They were based on the movies Earthquake and Twister (respectively), well-forgotten 70s and 90s disaster films. But do by all means look up USJ's Space Fantasy, which is a total original - like a spinning version of Space Mountain ;) with a crazy anime aesthetic. Could be good inspiration!
I think I might have something for UniMK - posting it shortly!

spacemt354

Chili's
4823418927701670918%253Faccount_id%253D9

The first thing you might notice is that I angled the entrance at 45 degrees rather than starting due north. My thought process was if I angle it, perhaps while trying to stick to the Magic Kingdom 'land' setup - I won't be as focused on keeping things so similar to the Magic Kingdom layout.

The initial idea I had was that our goal (or at least one of them) in this project is to make this resort feel more like a....resort. And the best way to do that is to incorporate resort hotels, and transportation to and from the resorts, to the parks. Which led to the idea of having two entrances (really 3 including the Nintendo park to park transportation)

The 'main' entrance will be for guests coming in for the day via the main parking deck. Guests will walk from the parking deck, through City Walk - and towards the entrance to either Uni Sea or UniMK.

The 'hotel' entrance is exclusively for resort guests. Guests at any one of UniMK area resorts can travel by boat right to the center of the action. The shaded regions on the map with arrows are waterways, so guests can sail under bridges and into the action - exclusively for the resort guests, similar to how Boardwalk guests can take a boat to Hollywood Studios in WDW - yet this is even better because you have your own entrance (similar to the International Gateway for Epcot)

Beginning with the 'main' entrance, guests will enter through a renaissance Parisian town setting, and off the main street with pastry shops, restaurants, shops... is a decrepit, morose alley where a Les Mis stage production will take place.

Going counterclockwise around the park, this French area will transition into a London street and a rendition of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Rather than going to Diagon Alley in this land though, we will be transported to the Ministry of Magic for an E-ticket thrill ride, among other London attractions, such as a walk-through of the Order of the Phoenix house perhaps?

In addition, the land will house a 2nd E-ticket -- one far out and away, over a sea, where Azkaban prison lies.

Leaving London, we transition into a more fanciful village setting, where 'Illumination Station' is. Here, facades from the film present a colorful array of different animated films of the past decade, such as Hop (@brb1006 's suggestion), Sing, Secret Life of Pets, Despicable Me, Minions, and room for expansion space for the land. This will be a sure-fire kid-friendly experience, which will transition into another kid-friendly land (and for kids at heart)

Nintendo World.
news-0608-nintendo.jpg

With Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, and anything Nintendo fans dream of. There will also be some sort of transportation to Universal's 2nd theme park (UniSEA) and the Zelda land over there.

Nintendo will be one of the largest lands in the park - and that combined with the Illumination Station will have plenty to do in the park for kids of all ages.

Transitioning into a more teenage thrill area - we enter the actual theme park from Jurassic World!
jw_set_ext_mainpark_heli_n_cs_v04_5k_layered_signs.jpg

Basically the image above. It will be complete with restaurants, shops, and even a monorail entrance from another area of the park (explained later) - it will be complete with a 3D show, dark ride, and thrill ride, among many more experiences.

Crossing another bridge and transitioning from a Central American mountain range in Isla Nublar - into a more mysterious Americano town, we enter Derry, ME and travel 'west' through America through some of the more mysterious Universal films. 'Float' down a sewer to escape IT, walk through the Bates Motel or Pet Semetary, or venture to be a caretaker at the Overlook Hotel on The Shining dark ride.

The mystery/horror landscape will be located in the back corner of the park - and for those who don't like scary things, they can skip it. It was designed this way so that all of the kid friendly activities are on the right hand side, completely away from anything Stephen King or horror.

Transitioning over the waterway to the resort hotels, we enter the final land so far - the 'action' landscape.

Here we enter the gritty streets of an Asian city (Hong Kong possibly) and immerse ourselves in an environment conducive to action. We have a Bourne attraction, a Stunt show (theme tbd) and a Fast and the Furious SCOOP attraction, all taking place within the Hong Kong aesthetic. This city landscape then transitions back slowly either into the Parisan village, or to the resort hotel entrance and main hub of the park, where you can see all the respective landscapes to explore from the central location.

Thoughts on this?

spacemt354

Chili's
Out of all of these the only land im a bit hesitant on is London, given the Victorian village in UniSea , and having double HP lands in addition to double Nintendo lands

A possible alternative to include more diverse properties is a New York land in its placing which could include
- Men in Black
- Fantastic Beasts
- Sesame Street subland which could transition into Illumination

StevenU

The first thing you might notice is that I angled the entrance at 45 degrees rather than starting due north. My thought process was if I angle it, perhaps while trying to stick to the Magic Kingdom 'land' setup - I won't be as focused on keeping things so similar to the Magic Kingdom layout.

The initial idea I had was that our goal (or at least one of them) in this project is to make this resort feel more like a....resort. And the best way to do that is to incorporate resort hotels, and transportation to and from the resorts, to the parks. Which led to the idea of having two entrances (really 3 including the Nintendo park to park transportation)

The 'main' entrance will be for guests coming in for the day via the main parking deck. Guests will walk from the parking deck, through City Walk - and towards the entrance to either Uni Sea or UniMK.

The 'hotel' entrance is exclusively for resort guests. Guests at any one of UniMK area resorts can travel by boat right to the center of the action. The shaded regions on the map with arrows are waterways, so guests can sail under bridges and into the action - exclusively for the resort guests, similar to how Boardwalk guests can take a boat to Hollywood Studios in WDW - yet this is even better because you have your own entrance (similar to the International Gateway for Epcot)

Beginning with the 'main' entrance, guests will enter through a renaissance Parisian town setting, and off the main street with pastry shops, restaurants, shops... is a decrepit, morose alley where a Les Mis stage production will take place.

Going counterclockwise around the park, this French area will transition into a London street and a rendition of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Rather than going to Diagon Alley in this land though, we will be transported to the Ministry of Magic for an E-ticket thrill ride, among other London attractions, such as a walk-through of the Order of the Phoenix house perhaps?

In addition, the land will house a 2nd E-ticket -- one far out and away, over a sea, where Azkaban prison lies.

Leaving London, we transition into a more fanciful village setting, where 'Illumination Station' is. Here, facades from the film present a colorful array of different animated films of the past decade, such as Hop (@brb1006 's suggestion), Sing, Secret Life of Pets, Despicable Me, Minions, and room for expansion space for the land. This will be a sure-fire kid-friendly experience, which will transition into another kid-friendly land (and for kids at heart)

Nintendo World.
news-0608-nintendo.jpg

With Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, and anything Nintendo fans dream of. There will also be some sort of transportation to Universal's 2nd theme park (UniSEA) and the Zelda land over there.

Nintendo will be one of the largest lands in the park - and that combined with the Illumination Station will have plenty to do in the park for kids of all ages.

Transitioning into a more teenage thrill area - we enter the actual theme park from Jurassic World!

Basically the image above. It will be complete with restaurants, shops, and even a monorail entrance from another area of the park (explained later) - it will be complete with a 3D show, dark ride, and thrill ride, among many more experiences.

Crossing another bridge and transitioning from a Central American mountain range in Isla Nublar - into a more mysterious Americano town, we enter Derry, ME and travel 'west' through America through some of the more mysterious Universal films. 'Float' down a sewer to escape IT, walk through the Bates Motel or Pet Semetary, or venture to be a caretaker at the Overlook Hotel on The Shining dark ride.

The mystery/horror landscape will be located in the back corner of the park - and for those who don't like scary things, they can skip it. It was designed this way so that all of the kid friendly activities are on the right hand side, completely away from anything Stephen King or horror.

Transitioning over the waterway to the resort hotels, we enter the final land so far - the 'action' landscape.

Here we enter the gritty streets of an Asian city (Hong Kong possibly) and immerse ourselves in an environment conducive to action. We have a Bourne attraction, a Stunt show (theme tbd) and a Fast and the Furious SCOOP attraction, all taking place within the Hong Kong aesthetic. This city landscape then transitions back slowly either into the Parisan village, or to the resort hotel entrance and main hub of the park, where you can see all the respective landscapes to explore from the central location.

Thoughts on this?
This looks good! I like Kong in the UniSEA park! The UniMK is more kid friendly and teenagers and the UniSEA is more teenages and adults, but still has Whoville for kids.

spacemt354

Chili's

Nintendo World.
news-0608-nintendo.jpg

Thoughts on this?
Out of all of these the only land im a bit hesitant on is London, given the Victorian village in UniSea , and having double HP lands in addition to double Nintendo lands

A possible alternative to include more diverse properties is a New York land in its placing which could include
- Men in Black
- Fantastic Beasts
Before venturing any further I'll tag some others so they can chime in too
@tcool123
@Poe Dameron
@JokersWild

spacemt354

Chili's

Nintendo World.
news-0608-nintendo.jpg

Thoughts on this?

- Men in Black
- Fantastic Beasts
@FigmentPigments
@Disney Dad 3000
@Angels and Disney's

spacemt354

Chili's

Nintendo World.
news-0608-nintendo.jpg

Thoughts on this?

- Men in Black
- Fantastic Beasts
@Brer Oswald
@David2319
@BigThunder26

spacemt354

Chili's

Nintendo World.
news-0608-nintendo.jpg

Thoughts on this?

- Men in Black
- Fantastic Beasts
@TwilightZone
@brb1006
@MonorailRed

MonorailRed

Applebees

Nintendo World.
news-0608-nintendo.jpg

Thoughts on this?
Love it!

Agree on the New York land. If you have two London based lands that might seem a bit odd. o_O And New York allows you to use Fantastic Beasts which is what they'd want to promote anyway! :D

spacemt354

Chili's

Nintendo World.
news-0608-nintendo.jpg

Thoughts on this?
@AceAstro
@Twilight_Roxas
@QuillPenn

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom