So why exactly did Disney ruin Journey Into Imagination?

mimitchi33

If you want an Inside Out attraction, just crank up the old Cranium Command and let'er rip.
I'm guessing they chose to be in the Imagination Pavillion because of the enormous success of the Bing Bong character. His merchandise flew off the shelves during Christmas of 2016, toddlers and cute-loving adults adore him, and his plush is the only Inside Out one that's still being sold at the Disney Store. Just take a look at this photo that was shot last Monday at the Roosevelt Field Mall:
b2aa057ad3.jpg

How dare you call Dreamfinder creepy!
Some people don't like rides a majority of people like. It's a Small World is a big example of this.

Brer Oswald

I just listened to the JimHill podcast on this recently- basically Kodak had a contract that said the ride needed to be drastically updated every 15 years or so. Problem was this was near the dawn of the digital age, and Kodak had just made some massive layoffs and was in need of restructuring, so they couldn't pony up enough cash for a fantastic redo of the ride, so "Journey into YOUR Imagination" was born, and the most problematic parts of the ride (the turntable, for example) were eliminated. After Journey 2.0 opened, the ride got HORRIBLE reviews from guests and fans alike, and was rated the lowest attraction at Epcot. The Imagineers were given a budget to redo the ride AGAIN, and one crafty Imagineer went back and found all the original Figments that were left to rot backstage and inserted them back into the ride (fully refurbished mind you). The ride was a much improved over the "YOUR" version, but Figment hasn't been the same since.
Those are all the figments used in the final scene correct?

Sketch105

Those are all the figments used in the final scene correct?

Correct. I believe the moon figment and the telephone/Taste and touch lab Figment are also from the original ride as well. I highly doubt they made any new animatronic figures because they pretty much all look on point to the 1980s ride version.

Since1976

After a 12 year stretch (1990 - 2002) between WDW trips, JIYI was the first attraction I did on my return -- on my honeymoon. I did not know the ride had changed.

It probably goes without saying that it was not a great start to our magical week. And it certainly did not impress my new bride, who had never been to Walt Disney World before.

I remember telling her, "There are better attractions here. Really!"

brb1006

After a 12 year stretch (1990 - 2002) between WDW trips, JIYI was the first attraction I did on my return -- on my honeymoon. I did not know the ride had changed.

It probably goes without saying that it was not a great start to our magical week. And it certainly did not impress my new bride, who had never been to Walt Disney World before.

I remember telling her, "There are better attractions here. Really!"
If the original was still around then she would have been very impressed.

Bender123

I took my kids (at the time 8 and twin s) for the first time about six years ago and decided it must just be my rose colored glasses and the kids will love the new version.

The train scared the twins and then it broke down with us stuck for 20 minutes in front of the smell screens that kept spraying skunk scent at us and we had to be walked out. We did not go back that trip. Now its a ride done in irony...We have to ride it in the same way you watch a really bad movie. Its so bad its fun to make your own commentary.

Oddly, I will be sad when this ride goes away, just because of the family survival day we experienced.

Chef Mickey

He was in one projection in the finale of Journey into Your Imagination.

Guest and management complaints forced the next overhaul as an emergency measure.

Eisner in particular was less than impressed with JIYI.
Hmm, seems like Eisner actually cared about rides and could at least facilitate changes to attractions.

Nothing beats the attractions WDW got under Eisner.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hmm, seems like Eisner actually cared about rides and could at least facilitate changes to attractions.

Nothing beats the attractions WDW got under Eisner.
He did to a certain degree. He demanded Imagination 2 and Alien Encounter be changed.

There again he also demanded to know what had been done to the ToT after riding it in DCA. No one had the courage to say this was what your budget cut did. Not to his face on that day anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom