So why exactly did Disney ruin Journey Into Imagination?

The Empress Lilly

Not sure if it was posted earlier, but the creators of the movie talked to Imagineering when the film came out about their ideas for the ride.
Inside Out producer Jonas Rivera:
My pitch is that I think this could be a pavilion at Epcot. You’ve got The Sea. Nemo’s there. So in The Land there’s a section called Imagination that’s still there and it’s still cool. [The character] Figment and all that. I loved that as a kid. And I thought, well, ‘We have the mind now.’
Uhm, ok.

Imagination...senses...emotion...same thing and stuff. Well it's all, like, the mind and stuff? ( <--question mark intonation)

If its all the same, perhaps he should've included 'smell' as one of his five IO emotion characters, say, replacing Anger, and added Figment as the character 'Imagination' for Joy.

Otterhead

Imagination...senses...emotion...same thing and stuff. Well it's all, like, the mind and stuff?
"Docter: I think it’s gotta be the Stream of Consciousness ride. And you travel down it."
Their concept is a ride through the mind, exploring emotions and imagination. So it'd expand the idea of the pavilion beyond just whimsy and imagination to how emotion affects it.
Personally I don't think it's a great fit, but no, they weren't saying that senses are the same thing as imagination. But given that the current ride is largely about smell and hearing and sight....

Figments Friend

My pitch is that I think this could be a pavilion at Epcot. You’ve got The Sea. Nemo’s there. So in The Land there’s a section called Imagination that’s still there and it’s still cool. [The character] Figment and all that. I loved that as a kid. And I thought, well, ‘We have the mind now.’
Uhm, ok.

Imagination...senses...emotion...same thing and stuff. Well it's all, like, the mind and stuff? ( <--question mark intonation)

If its all the same, perhaps he should've included 'smell' as one of his five IO emotion characters, say, replacing Anger, and added Figment as the character 'Imagination' for Joy.

( laughs )

Yeah, I really love the part where he thinks the Imagination Attraction is inside of the The Land Pavillion.
Uh huh...
;)

Oh, and I would be willing to bet a substantial sum of money that the primary reason this person remembers the Imagination Attraction at all and 'loved it' as a kid was because it was the Original 'Journey' and not the garbage that followed.
:cool:

-

The Empress Lilly

Oh, and I would be willing to bet a substantial sum of money that the primary reason this person remembers the Imagination Attraction at all and 'loved it' as a kid was because it was the Original 'Journey' and not the garbage that followed.
:cool:

-
Well considering he started working for Pixar in the early nineties, his childhood enchantment was indeed formed by Figment and Dreamfinder. ;)

Can't blame him for wishing to redo the current pavilion.

DreamfinderGuy

This is why Epcot died, even people at Disney don't know anything about it.

Goofyernmost

The way the quote reads, it sounds like he was just saying that in the 'land' (the park) there's a section called Imagination. If he's been there as a kid and is a big fan, as he says he is, I think the capitalization was added by the editor of the story.
Wait... you mean the whole of Future World being a land? How novel as well as correct. Confusing I agree and very poorly worded on his part, but, I think that may be the correct interpretation. The only other excuse is that he saw it only as a kid and being a kid didn't have the most refined memory development and thought that it was in that building. Hey, who knows, everyone could be right in this case.

Goofyernmost

As usual, I apologize for bringing it up in the first place.
We all have to loosen up on the paranoia. I was agreeing with you. This crowd is way to literal in every post they read and at the same time are constantly reading between the lines. Putting in things that were never said or meant. That is a tough thing to do, but, it is done constantly. Tough Room!:confused:

Goofyernmost

I know; sorry, I didn't mean to point a finger at you. But I apologize for instigating people to claim that Epcot's been ruined, it's destroyed, blah blah blah, the usual malarky.
Well, if you don't throw out that side all anyone see's is their perspective. Don't apologize ever for your opinion. Many times people disagree, but, that doesn't make them right and you wrong.

DreamfinderGuy

The way the quote reads, it sounds like he was just saying that in the 'land' (the park) there's a section called Imagination. If he's been there as a kid and is a big fan, as he says he is, I think the capitalization was added by the editor of the story.
I figured he meant "The Land" as a pavilion, very poor word choice and very poor wording.

montyz81

We all have to loosen up on the paranoia. I was agreeing with you. This crowd is way to literal in every post they read and at the same time are constantly reading between the lines. Putting in things that were never said or meant. That is a tough thing to do, but, it is done constantly. Tough Room!:confused:
That's what happens when Disney leaves so many treasured theme park attractions to go stale for so long. People try to grasp for any information they can about it's future, even if it means attempting to draw conclusions about statements from statements by Disney employees. It's not our fault, it's theirs. hahahaahah.

mimitchi33

I guess it's because of people using their nostalgia goggles too often so that they can hate on an attraction some Disney visitors cherish. That Scrappy video posted a few pages back sums it all up, ironically...
And of course we all want that Disney Collectors Pin of Figment Farting out his name....
s-l1000.jpg

Unforgettable Happens Here!
Aww shucks, how could we forget THIS memorable moment from the current ride?
figment_moon.jpg

The moon will always be with us.
At least they decided to ditch the Re-imagining of the of the Pavilion to Phineas & Ferb since the show ended..There was even concept art of the dancing fountain area where the Figment Topiary stood and the now Visa Chase photo spot...Also Notice the lady in the concept art.. The image is the same woman from Spaceship Earth in the 80's section of Computer technology....They may have had plans to have her as a face character at one point perhaps?
image_zps9b01c15e.jpg
7469099e4d9176819a17b3f3a33aa33f.jpg
If they did this, I wouldn't like it at all. But I do applaud them for having a black lead character.
What is probably the saddest realization of this thread is the possibility that 25 years from now, my girls may be discussing how much better the version they grew up riding was with their kids.
This also applies to people who grew up in the 2000's, like me. I was born in 1998, and I first rode the ride when it opened, and LOVED IT. But if they do replace it with Bing Bong, I wouldn't care, since I love that little candy elekitten! -hugs her Bing Bong stuffed animal collection-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom