Pre-Trip So this just happened over a game of rummy...And we're going live!

We're back...

Long story short, maybe, a few weeks ago I started a new job that afforded me a 5-day weekend for this fourth of July. The short notice left us with little time to plan a vacation and we have been resigned to a staycation. We had been checking the DVC availability for a few weeks to no avail and even the cash rooms seemed out of the question. We accepted the fact that we would just hang out in North Georgia for a long weekend....until tonight. For whatever reason, maybe it was the Victory Blackboard series no.6 in our glasses, we hammered out a last minute trip to PoP while playing rummy during dinner...what the heck?!?!
CA9DEA0C-2D7A-439D-B169-55DD9FE2736A.jpg

The kid informed us that she had the weekend off and I looked to @imahistorygeek and asked if she could be off. Without hesitation she said "for Disney, yes!" About three minutes later and a few internet searches we found that PoP was available for long weekend on the cheap! We pulled the trigger and now in five nights we will return to the bubble....on a whim! Absolutely ZERO has been planned so we will see where things take us. Disney Springs seems to be in the future for the ladies and a few late nights at the parks for the DW and I.

Stay tuned for more and maybe a semi-live TR

Last edited:

imahistorygeek

Well, I slept on my opinion of Pandora. Please take into account that we did not ride either ride. The rides could be amazing. The is all based on walking around.

1st, AK is my favorite park. I love the animals. This was one of the main reasons we bought points at AKL. I love to read about Disney's conservation efforts and to be a part of that. Rides are secondary.

2nd, I really didn't have any expectations going in. I've never seen Avatar. I have zero interest in the movie. I didn't know anything about the the theming.

daylight impression - smells like green peppers (to be fair, we also smelled this at MK) and the looks like Rainforest Cafe and ET ride. There's a neat effect at the entrance.

Evening impression - I'd read that Pandora all lit up at night was "amazing." Again, some neat effects, but it was very dark (I wouldn't be surprised if lights were added at some point) and the color looked like the little mermaid in MK after the refurb. All blacklight, all the time.

Overall, I didn't know what to expect, but it IMO, does not live up to the hype. I have no idea how this even fits into the AK themeing.

I know disney cannot make everyone happy. There are things I like that others do not. I really like the Pop refurb rooms. I also loved the lightened walls in AKL after the refurb. I love the new Fantasyland.

Honestly, I wish they would have used some of all that money to build a walkway between AKL and AK or finish the walkway to nowhere.

SSH

1st, AK is my favorite park. I love the animals. This was one of the main reasons we bought points at AKL. I love to read about Disney's conservation efforts and to be a part of that. Rides are secondary.

Love this! :inlove: You described exactly why it's our favorite park too.

"I have no idea how this even fits into the AK theming." I totally understand the confusion if you haven't seen the film (and most guests won't see it before visiting.) You go from a real-world natural environment to this day glo, black light world - and it's like WTH? :confused:

But there is a marvelous connection between Avatar the film and AK the park. The film theme is all about the value of respecting and living in harmony with nature vs plundering the riches found in nature for our own ends while damaging and destroying everything and everyone that gets in our path. It feels very relevant to so much of what AK teaches.

Sadl few guests will ever get this. The visuals are stunning, the FOP ride is amazing - but WDW forgot to tell the story. They can't expect people to do their "homework" and watch the movie before visiting. They need street performances re-enacting key scenes from the film, live shows, character interactions..they need the verbal storytelling to connect the dots and make it meaningful.

sheriffwoody

Ok I'm still on page 3, but I just have to say...Our room at pop had no decoration aside from one framed image on the wall, and I think that was based on the decade. Other than that, the room was soooooooooo cheap-motel. So this refurb looks amazing to me. I don't know what the heck themed rooms you guys have stayed in, but we were super unimpressed with ours last year. I like the more modern approach of the refurb! The theming there seems to be mostly around the outside/pool areas anyway.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So to finish last night out we decided to take a journey through time before heading back over to Pandora.
IMG_0250.JPG

I was so committed to the live updates I was even working during the ride.
IMG_0259.JPG

So we're back home now and I've had plenty of time to consider the latest change to AK.

Please do not click below unless you want my unbiased opinion on the change to AK

I think the next two pictures define the amount of imagineering that went into Pandora: The land of, oh wait we're already through it?!?!
IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

The only message of conservation I took away from this "addition" was in regards to the amount of space they dedicated to the area, or lack there of. It felt like we were only a few steps in and we were already at the end! I think I'll stop there too in effort to reduce the number of feelings that get hurt. I get it, though, Disney has starved us for new content for so long that an oversized Spencer's Gifts seems fascinating and majestic. Actually, I think Spencer's Gifts may be larger than Pandora so that may be a poor reference. I really need to end on a positive note.....lets see....ok at least the areas of AK we love are now less congested because of this new disas...distraction!

I appreciate you all following along and participating in the fun. It was a wild and unique journey for us. A new PTR should be coming soon to address our 19th anniversary trip at the Poly this September so if I haven't crushed your Pandora feelings too much be on the lookout!

Last edited:

Zipadeelady

So to finish last night out we decided to take a journey through time before heading back over to Pandora.
View attachment 213495

I was so committed to the live updates I was even working during the ride.
View attachment 213496

So we're back home now and I've had plenty of time to consider the latest change to AK. I think the next two pictures define the amount of imagineering that went into Pandora: The land of, oh wait we're already through it?!?!
View attachment 213497
View attachment 213498

The only message of conservation I took away from this "addition" was in regards to the amount of space they dedicated to the area, or lack there of. It felt like we were only a few steps in and we were already at the end! I think I'll stop there too in effort to reduce the number of feelings that get hurt. I get it, though, Disney has starved us for new content for so long that an oversized Spencer's Gifts seems fascinating and majestic. Actually, I think Spencer's Gifts may be larger than Pandora so that may be a poor reference. I really need to end on a positive note.....lets see....ok at least the areas of AK we love are now less congested because of this new disas...distraction!

I appreciate you all following along and participating in the fun. It was a wild and unique journey for us. A new PTR should be coming soon to address our 19th anniversary trip at the Poly this September so if I haven't crushed your Pandora feelings too much be on the lookout!
You are totally busting my magical bubble. :cool::)

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So I keep hearing Tables in Wonderland isn't quite as worth it as it used to be with more and more AP discounts (this info coming from Len Testa of Touring Plans). Would you disagree with this? Seems like you are using it a lot :) We are still on the fence and obviously have to make a decision by tomorrow-ish
It depends on how you eat, and more importantly drink. As I know it the AP does not discount the resort QS dining like TiW does. The AP discount also excludes alcohol, which TiW includes. You'd need to do the math and also pay attention to the blackout dates. Also, the AP discounts are only good for the 45th anniversary, right? I'm not sure myself. Every year we purchase the TiW card we make our money back and well over. The TiW card is good for 13 months too.

Doc Disney

It depends on how you eat, and more importantly drink. As I know it the AP does not discount the resort QS dining like TiW does. The AP discount also excludes alcohol, which TiW includes. You'd need to do the math and also pay attention to the blackout dates. Also, the AP discounts are only good for the 45th anniversary, right? I'm not sure myself. Every year we purchase the TiW card we make our money back and well over. The TiW card is good for 13 months too.

Very true...thanks! They seem to think the AP discount will stay but we do like to use it for QS and alcohol with dinner so we should prob consider renewing. We for sure broke even and then some with our last card! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

MySmallWorldof4

Very true...thanks! They seem to think the AP discount will stay but we do like to use it for QS and alcohol with dinner so we should prob consider renewing. We for sure broke even and then some with our last card! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
I think the 20% AP is staying. At least for another year because when we received the postcard reminding us to renew dh's AP it said renew for 13mths and get 20% off merchandise and food. There was no disclaimer saying it was only good until September 2017, which is when I thought the deal was scheduled to end. I could be wrong though.:rolleyes:

lostpro9het

Original Poster
I won't have a Magical Spoiler Button over my Pandora review (mainly cause I am too stupid to figure out how to do it) and our nightmare experience ain't gonna be pretty........:eek:
Fixed that for you ;-)

Another north Georgian here! Thanks for taking us along for your last minute trip!
Awesome, nice to meet you! There several of us N.Ga. folks on here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom