So Disney IS A Bargain?

Pluto15

The one additional point is in relation to supply and demand and market conditions. If the park tickets were under priced then the parks could be oversold all year round. The crowds could be unmanageable and it would lessen the experience and Magic if parks got closed to guests on a regular basis. The price in my opinion is value for money and at $30 a day on my trips equates to a few dollars an hour when spending the day at the parks. I tend to have breakfast at resort then take a few snacks do food is not overpriced for me and there are thousands of options at ranging prices. The buffet at trails end is exceptional value for example.

Californian Elitist

Still think they do...it's a big reason we all go back. We crave more of the Disney memories, the content, the way it makes us feel, the way it makes our family feel. Disney's content is miles ahead of all the rest and my theory for why everyone want to go there the first time and go back multiple times. Six Flags and Universal aren't as popular for a reason. Your "habitual" post was just as ridiculous as you seem to think my crave content point was. Disney goers go because it's a habit, even with your SOME caveat....I don't agree. A company doesn't lead that much because people are tricked into going back out of habit. MOST choose to go because it's the best. Sure there are some habit people, I guess, but Disney leads like 2 to 1 when comparing the most popular MK to most popular Universal.

I never think much before posting. It's a discussion board, not a dissertation. I really don't get offended if you don't agree. I, like most people, generalize all the time, but it's generally true....at least I think so.

Who is "we?" There you go, generalizing again.

How was my post ridiculous? I said not everyone who goes to Disney goes because they're head-over-heels in love with the place. That's ridiculous? I can tell you some do go out of habit, I gave you an example with my mother. You either forgot that part or purposely ignored it. And if you don't believe Disney is partly cruising on its legacy, again, you're delusional.

And you did think at least a little bit before you wrote this post, hence the use of "some" and "most."

Otterhead

I will say that one of the aspects of Avatar that has me interested is that it is the first thing since 2006 that is not aimed at the under 8 crowd.
It's been a long time since I was 8.
A lot of things have been added since 2006 that are aimed at the "over 8" crowd. I guess you've never heard of Test Track, Star Tours, Expedition Everest... nah!

Then again, I'm glad I'm not one of those people who thinks that you're only allowed to enjoy animation if you're a toddler.

Matt_Black

Then again, I'm glad I'm not one of those people who thinks that you're only allowed to enjoy animation if you're a toddler.

Especially since, at least as far as WDAS and Pixar go, animated films have been increasingly targeting Gen-Xers and older as much as kids. Wreck-It Ralph is a prime example, as that was chock full of references that kids today weren't going to get.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Content is one thing to argue about price , but another to consider is subject matter. Some of us (see I was disinclined to default to the ubiquitous all people) are not seeking prurient exploitation that permeates modern public media for our vacation consumption. We know its out there, but choose to take a break from it. When we hop "in the bubble" in the world we can choose to check some worries at the door. For the privileged of removing those concerns we are quite willing and have paid quite hefty sums. My wife and I don't need our horizons expanded.

We are not looking for the NYC, London, Dubai, or Vegas experience... been there done that and its not our cup of tea. I've spent a few decades traveling the globe to places both nice and lots more that were not so nice. Disney World is a fun respite from the maddening crowds.

copcarguyp71

I think it is worthy of note that many times those across the pond or outside North America get pretty earth shattering deals that those of us here in the US are not privy to or eligible for. I saw one post earlier from a Brit that said with the 14 day stay at the resort that the park tickets ended up being free...yeah, we do not enjoy such wonderments as far as I know here on North American soil.

Consider this in your arguments back and forth (and back and forth and back and forth...) that those in the U.S. and those outside the U.S. see very different deals and as such our perception of value for the dollar may be quite different as well.

Ariel1986

If I compare WDW admission prices to theme parks in Europe then the value is fantastic. In addition you have stunning ️️weather great scenery and an amazing setting. I've never bought a day pass always the 14 day pass. On occasions it has been free as a hotel deal so I've experienced admission for absolutely free which is amazing. Like everything if you are careful and look at options you can save money. You can buy your own snacks rather than but in the Parks every day. You can find CS meals with enough to share etc. I find food prices in the park as cheap as prices back home and I would expect to pay more in a theme park. Here if you go to the cinema you will pay two or three times more for drinks snacks etc than in a shop. Maybe even more.

Wheh purchasing the 14 day Disney pass it works out at less than $30 a day with park hopper included. That's entertainment from first thing to last thing almost 16 hours. You could go to two water Parks and four amazing theme parks for less than $30 and I'm my honest opinion that's anazing. The cinema here can cost the same for two adults.

Personally I could spend all day multiple times at any of the parks. Equally it's great to park hop and some days so multiple ones.

Life can be incredibly expensive but you can find ways to save and find deals and its a very personal things re what's value and what's under or over valued. Personally I think Disney is worth every penny and the magic and memories and atmosphere is priceless. I remember vacations from years and years ago

Yes I would love some of WDW's complainers to come over and experience some of our lovely *sarcasm* theme parks over here in the UK! They might realise how lucky they still are to have Disney World even in it's current "terrible" form in comparison.

I still love visiting Disney World and the whole experience is still a great value to me- there's nothing that can rival it over here. The parks are on a whole other level. The fact that they're all also Disney whose films I have a huge and nostalgic love for, the Florida weather and the fact I can have a fun filled two week escapism vacation for similar prices (and sometimes less) of other international trips, then it's still a winner for me.

And I like Universal too. We always go when in Orlando. It's not a either or for me, I love Disney and I really like Universal. If I'm deciding to go on a theme park-escapism vacation, there is no other place but Orlando that can provide this, to me. I still find great love and escapism in Disney's bubble, therefore it is of value to me still.

Ariel1986

I think it is worthy of note that many times those across the pond or outside North America get pretty earth shattering deals that those of us here in the US are not privy to or eligible for. I saw one post earlier from a Brit that said with the 14 day stay at the resort that the park tickets ended up being free...yeah, we do not enjoy such wonderments as far as I know here on North American soil.

Consider this in your arguments back and forth (and back and forth and back and forth...) that those in the U.S. and those outside the U.S. see very different deals and as such our perception of value for the dollar may be quite different as well.

That is true although we do have to pay quite substantially higher airfare prices to "hop over the pond"!

copcarguyp71

That is true although we do have to pay quite substantially higher airfare prices to "hop over the pond"!

BUT...domestic airfares have also gotten quite unreasonable and exchange rates make some of that up as well. I still think that value for the dollar remains skewed depending on where you are and since the argument of this thread is based on the cost of admission that those wanting to prove a point may omit their cost of arrival to further make the argument in their favor.

Ariel1986

BUT...domestic airfares have also gotten quite unreasonable and exchange rates make some of that up as well. I still think that value for the dollar remains skewed depending on where you are and since the argument of this thread is based on the cost of admission that those wanting to prove a point may omit their cost of arrival to further make the argument in their favor.

Well I will say that I have never found a deal where the tickets are free. That is a good deal! We do have the option of two and three week park hopper tickets which do actually work out cheaper than the magic your way tickets. But the smallest ticket purchase available in the UK is a 7 day park hopper (including water parks)- we don't have the option of 1,2,3 days etc. unless we buy tickets from an American site or when we are there.

So I don't think there's much difference in the actual park ticket price value, wherever you are coming from really. I think- well for me, but I would think also for other people in the UK and Europe- that the difference in how we perceive the value is that there is nothing like the American theme parks in the UK or Europe. Yes we have Disneyland Paris and there's Port Aventura in Spain, but even these actual "resort" parks do not compare in quality/time/price/escapism value and the vacation that can be made out of a trip to Florida.

Last edited:

DisneyMusician2

Although airfares are up, you can still find good fares, at least from the northeast. It does take some savvy and some shopping, but to be fair it is no different for any trip that gets booked. Airfare is always a prime factor.

Pluto15

I'm not sure what deals are available in the US or annual passes but in Europe there are desls often. My current package included a free 14 day park ticket for the entire family, magical express etc. Often the dining plan is free as well. When you compare to the price if booking hotel direct it is definitely not just an inflated price as it works out free which is a great saving. There are also often but 7 days get 14.

copcarguyp71

I'm not sure what deals are available in the US or annual passes but in Europe there are desls often. My current package included a free 14 day park ticket for the entire family, magical express etc. Often the dining plan is free as well. When you compare to the price if booking hotel direct it is definitely not just an inflated price as it works out free which is a great saving. There are also often but 7 days get 14.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury...I rest my case. Thanks for Verifying this @Pluto15 ;)

Pluto15

Well I will say that I have never found a deal where the tickets are free. That is a good deal! We do have the option of two and three week park hopper tickets which do actually work out cheaper than the magic your way tickets. But the smallest ticket purchase available in the UK is a 7 day park hopper (including water parks)- we don't have the option of 1,2,3 days etc. unless we buy tickets from an American site or when we are there.

So I don't think there's much difference in the actual park ticket price value, wherever you are coming from really. I think- well for me, but I would think also for other people in the UK and Europe- that the difference in how we perceive the value is that there is nothing like the American theme parks in the UK or Europe. Yes we have Disneyland Paris and there's Port Aventura in Spain, but even these actual "resort" parks do not compare in quality/time/price/escapism value and the vacation that can be made out of a trip to Florida.

Most tour operators have a deal on just now offering free park tickets for summer months which is s big saving

Pluto15

I think there may be a lot more choice in the US and with the same deals not available to US citizens the prices may be higher? That seems unfair as Americans should have the best deal not the worst as after all it's their theme park. The UK theme Parks are few and incredibly expensive so it makes Disney seem far more reasonable but it's maybe not a fair comparison. Also snacks and items seem far higher in the US than here. A family of four hete going to the cinema with snacks in London would cost a small fortune. I wish the same desks re free tickets free dining plan were offered to all

Otterhead

My current package included a free 14 day park ticket for the entire family, magical express etc. Often the dining plan is free as well.
A 14-day park ticket for US residents would be about $400-$500 a person; I think the 14-day ticket is sold (or, er, given) exclusively to EU residents. The dining plan for 14 days would be about $800 for each adult. So, yes, that's an amazingly huge savings that Americans don't receive.

Pluto15

A 14-day park ticket for US residents would be about $400-$500 a person; I think the 14-day ticket is sold (or, er, given) exclusively to EU residents. The dining plan for 14 days would be about $800 for each adult. So, yes, that's an amazingly huge savings that Americans don't receive.
image.jpg

That's a huge cost!!! There are desls all the time here with free 14 day tickets and dining plan for all members of the family. That's like over $1300 saving per person

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom