So Disney IS A Bargain?

BoarderPhreak

Compared to a Moon shot, yes, absolutely. :p

Seriously though, it is a bit funny when people look at the $105/day price as the sole indicator of cost. If you're going to be there for the week, it behooves you to add as many days as possible (which is Disney's plan, after all). Though it stops being economical once you have to pay for the non-expiration option on days you don't use. It didn't used to be this way... And they caught on. Otherwise, you could just get 7-day passports and stockpile them.

Ariel1986

I don't think anyone has been painted as such for simply liking things.. including Disney World. Maybe the problem is people are not understanding why their post gets the response it does? I can pretty much assure you it's not because you like something... but generally is because people chose to be SELECTIVE in what they see/hear. Sure there is the typical 'I love the hat' and the retorts that happen there.. but more often than not, the opinion was formed with a narrow view. Sometimes people are just saying "are you aware of the alternatives?" or considered them... yet some will take that as an attack on them. Mainly because again, they aren't willing to open up and take in other inputs.

People are free to whatever opinion they want... but that doesn't mean people will necessarily embrace or respect one that is ill informed or defies common sense. If you say "I love paying 3x the price..." - it may be your opinion, but don't expect a group hug over it.

I don't think anyone has said they "love paying 3x the price", but people have probably said "I will still pay to go" after the prices have increased or comparing prices to years ago. And that's where they are then bashed for being a "pixie duster".
Of course others are allowed to then have an opinion on if it is silly or not to pay more when they perceive the value to have declined, but there's no reason to belittle another person for still being happy to pay and still seeing value.

That is the main problem here now, it's not differing opinions- of course people are allowed to not agree- it's that it's not left at that. People attack each other for it. If you honestly think that no one has been called names here or painted as a pixie duster and such for simply stating they love Disney still, then I think you might have some blinkers on! I'm not trying to attack you personally here I am just saying there are dozens of threads where all someone has to say is "I had a great trip" or this was nice or say that they don''t see a negative someone else has- and they are automatically named a "pixie duster" as if their opinion is not valid. Take the recent DHS update thread that someone started- a poster was reporting on a recent trip and their positives from it- and within a few posts someone had posted a meme of the Lego Movie song "everything is awesome" implying that the OP's opinion is invalid as they are obviously some blinded, fingers in their ears pixie duster!

I can't speak for others... but for myself, and other posters I tend to respect... I don't see that until the person has demonstrated they aren't willing to consider anything but their preformed opinion and reject reality and substitute their own.

I am happy if people are respectful, but there are a lot of people here who are not. Fair enough if you only see someone as such if they are unwilling to consider anyone else's opinion after several posts back and forth- but wasn't your first response to DisneyExpert to tell him if he didn't like it then he should look elsewhere?
And anyway even if someone is substituting their own reality against yours and others reality- of a theme park resort- is that really a crime? Do they need to be belittled? They aren't living in denial of a severe life threatening situation or one that could be harming to others safety are they? They're choosing to still enjoy a theme park that may not- according to some opinions- be as good as it used to!

Just because someone wants to subscribe to 'ignorance is bliss' - don't expect everyone else to reject everything they know to fawn along with you.

I don't think anyone wants people to fawn along with them- I think people would like to be respected if they express a positive opinion and not be constantly bashed about how they are wrong. It seems the other way around to me- to the people who want to subscribe to "everything is terrible, the value has decreased and it's not how it used to be, it's a stressful experience that isn't worth it" seem to expect everyone else to agree with them and that everyone else must reject any of their own positive perceptions or enjoyment they have had from their own experiences.

It seems a lot of people who do enjoy Disney and don't feel the need to constantly bash everything, tend to stay out of negative threads and simply post advice and trip reports. They don't hijack negative threads telling all the posters how wrong they are to have those opinions. On the other hand the more negative posters seem to hijack any positive or innocent inquiry post from a new member about the terrible state of WDW and belittle people who disagree. (And I'm not accusing you of this, this isn't a personal attack, this is from posts I have seen from others who do bash everything and attack other such posts.)

No, I said 'if that is what you are looking for' - that place has it for you. I never said for someone to leave here.. but don't whine it includes things YOU don't want. The site has plenty of tools to control what you want to get from the site.

There is no clause about what to enjoy.. but the site does have an owner that has allowed both pro and con views on the subject... so thereby there is a clause that says "you don't have to love everything" to be allowed to contribute.

I'd wager if people actually had an open mind about topics and took things less as an attack on their preferences... they'd feel a lot less singled out.

Again, of course people are allowed to express different opinions. And anyone should be allowed to contribute- it's just that lately it seems unless you post something negative or about the corporate side of Disney then you can't contribute without being belittled or shut down. Yes you can avoid certain threads, but it's pretty hard now to enjoy even simple posts on here that don't discuss the more in-depth opinions, or subjects on the parks, because they get taken over with the "we're right, you're wrong" name calling, de-railing posters.

ParentsOf4

It's not about wanting to pretend everything's fine and never hearing or seeing anything bad- it's about not being allowed to say you still enjoy Disney World and *gasp* like it, or still find value with it, despite other people's views about the current "condition" of the place- without being belittled and scoffed at and spoken to as if you are some ridiculous, dismissable, unintelligent low-life!
I love Walt Disney World.

There, I wrote it. :)

I double-dog dare anyone to write that they hate Walt Disney World. :D

The thing is, very few on this website actually hate WDW. Overwhelmingly, we are fans; that's why we post here.

However, some are more frustrated with what's been happening at WDW in recent years than others. Some are so frustrated that they sometimes overreact when someone has a positive opinion.

Conversely, some are so tired of reading the complaints that they accuse those who express their honest concerns as being doom-and-gloomers.

Hopefully, we all recognize that WDW still is a lot of fun, even if we don't always have the same opinions of the current state of WDW. :)

tweak89

Well, I love going to Disney Parks. In the last three years I've been to WDW, DLR and DLP. But, sandwiched in between those were visits to Universal Orlando, Sea World/Discovery Cove and a few Six Flags parks as well as other non-amusement park vacations.

Would I say that Disney is a bargain? Absolutely not. But that's just for ME and my wife. Do we get a lot of enjoyment out of our visits? Heck Yes! But, as a couple with no kids we can find much better travel bargains that we enjoy as much if not more than our Disney visits. Lest anyone declare me a Disney hater, my Mickey Mouse tattoo would like a word with you! :p

Example: We love going to Six Flags parks because we love coasters. If you want to talk bargain, a Six Flags season pass gets you into ALL Six Flags parks for the year (as well as getting friends in free/private ride times for pass holders/early entry etc...). So, for me and my wife a Vacation to a city with a Six Flags park is a much bigger bang for our buck than Disney could ever be. Doesn't make Disney any less appealing/enjoyable, it's just not as big a bargain FOR US. Is it the same atmosphere as a Disney (or Universal park for that matter), nope. But it's enjoyable to us nonetheless and that's what is important when judging the "worth" of any vacation.

I think too much of the infighting here (and at the other Disney boards) comes down to folks feeling personally insulted if others don't feel the way they do(no matter what side of an argument they fall on). And that's a shame. So, criticize my OPINION all you want, because it won't change. Just like I don't expect anyone else's personal OPINION to change as a result of MY EXPERIENCE and OPINION.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is the main problem here now, it's not differing opinions- of course people are allowed to not agree- it's that it's not left at that. People attack each other for it

This is a discussion forum. By posting, you are volunteering your statement (opinion or fact) for commentary, retort, agreement, celebration, whatever. It's like walking into a circle of people having a discussion, and blurting out your own input. If it meshes well with the ongoing conversation, it may build the conversation, or even turn it. But even if purely opinion, it's likely to spark a response. If it's an statement that differs radically from your audience's prior understanding, its likely to be challenged... regardless of 'fact or opinion'.

It's simply part of conversation. Its possible people won't agree with your claim, and unlike a lecture, or face to face, the asynchronous nature of text forums makes conversation more blunt or disjointed. Some take offense to that.

If you honestly think that no one has been called names here or painted as a pixie duster and such for simply stating they love Disney still, then I think you might have some blinkers on!

Well, if you can articulate your thoughts and beliefs in a credible way.. generally people won't turn to the name calling. The less they can do so, probably the quicker it comes out.

I'm not trying to attack you personally here I am just saying there are dozens of threads where all someone has to say is "I had a great trip" or this was nice or say that they don''t see a negative someone else has- and they are automatically named a "pixie duster" as if their opinion is not valid. Take the recent DHS update thread that someone started- a poster was reporting on a recent trip and their positives from it- and within a few posts someone had posted a meme of the Lego Movie song "everything is awesome" implying that the OP's opinion is invalid as they are obviously some blinded, fingers in their ears pixie duster!

So you post an opinion.. someone has a differing one. Either you wonder why, you explore why, you ignore it, or articulate your position and counter point. If you get upset over someone having a differing view (and challenging you in doing so)... you may have a problem with an open turf discussion forum.

I am happy if people are respectful, but there are a lot of people here who are not. Fair enough if you only see someone as such if they are unwilling to consider anyone else's opinion after several posts back and forth- but wasn't your first response to DisneyExpert to tell him if he didn't like it then he should look elsewhere?

Uhh.. while that was my first post towards him in this thread.. that is not the first post he's made on the forum that I've read or interacted with. Users have histories that extend beyond single threads..

And anyway even if someone is substituting their own reality against yours and others reality- of a theme park resort- is that really a crime?

I don't think it's a 'crime'... but if you are going to participate in a discussion with other people on the business, the industry, and the company itself... yes, we all need to live within the same reality. Just because the subject matter is entertainment including fantasy.. that doesn't mean we should all act like we ourselves live in a fantasy world.

I don't think anyone wants people to fawn along with them- I think people would like to be respected if they express a positive opinion and not be constantly bashed about how they are wrong. It seems the other way around to me- to the people who want to subscribe to "everything is terrible, the value has decreased and it's not how it used to be, it's a stressful experience that isn't worth it" seem to expect everyone else to agree with them and that everyone else must reject any of their own positive perceptions or enjoyment they have had from their own experiences.

Well some things come with the common understanding of the people in the conversation. If you jump into a circle of people that have a long history of covering a topic.. there are things that are commonly understood between them without having to spell it out first. Often people come in blindly without noticing that and take it the wrong way.. are everyone saints? No.. but if you come in without awareness of your audience.. things tend to be a rougher start :)

Again, of course people are allowed to express different opinions. And anyone should be allowed to contribute- it's just that lately it seems unless you post something negative or about the corporate side of Disney then you can't contribute without being belittled or shut down. Yes you can avoid certain threads, but it's pretty hard now to enjoy even simple posts on here that don't discuss the more in-depth opinions, or subjects on the parks, because they get taken over with the "we're right, you're wrong" name calling, de-railing posters.

If they are acting irrational and don't represent anything you want to be a part of - you don't have to have their posts interfere with your experience.. use the ignore link. I'm not saying you need to create a 'view that only matches your world' - but if there are a few that you just feel you can't rationalize with... just ignore them.

It's only a discussion forum about a hobby/interest :)

And kudos to @ParentsOf4 of saying it much more concisely :)

JillC LI

Yes, Universal's become a very very nice park and they've put in some astoundingly great attractions. I'd love to see it sometime; pity that it's so expensive. I'm not a fan of having to pay extra to see the Harry Potter stuff on top of an already-pricey day pass.

Haven't read through all 10 pages of this forum to see if this was mentioned already, but why would you have to pay extra to see the Harry Potter stuff "on top of" your park ticket? The Harry Potter stuff is IN the park, not a separate park. In fact, it is now in BOTH parks, so you can see some of it with a one day pass to either park, or you can see it all with a two-park pass, just like a park hopper pass at WDW.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Haven't read through all 10 pages of this forum to see if this was mentioned already, but why would you have to pay extra to see the Harry Potter stuff "on top of" your park ticket? The Harry Potter stuff is IN the park, not a separate park. In fact, it is now in BOTH parks, so you can see some of it with a one day pass to either park, or you can see it all with a two-park pass, just like a park hopper pass at WDW.

Its referring to the idea that simply people are buying the park hopper solely because of the HP 'split' when they might not have otherwise. It's a stretch.. but certainly not a foreign concept. I mean, Disney doesn't have 4 parks because they didn't have additional room in a prior park ;)

Ariel1986

This is a discussion forum. By posting, you are volunteering your statement (opinion or fact) for commentary, retort, agreement, celebration, whatever. It's like walking into a circle of people having a discussion, and blurting out your own input. If it meshes well with the ongoing conversation, it may build the conversation, or even turn it. But even if purely opinion, it's likely to spark a response. If it's an statement that differs radically from your audience's prior understanding, its likely to be challenged... regardless of 'fact or opinion'.

It's simply part of conversation. Its possible people won't agree with your claim, and unlike a lecture, or face to face, the asynchronous nature of text forums makes conversation more blunt or disjointed. Some take offense to that.

Well, if you can articulate your thoughts and beliefs in a credible way.. generally people won't turn to the name calling. The less they can do so, probably the quicker it comes out.

So you post an opinion.. someone has a differing one. Either you wonder why, you explore why, you ignore it, or articulate your position and counter point. If you get upset over someone having a differing view (and challenging you in doing so)... you may have a problem with an open turf discussion forum.

Uhh.. while that was my first post towards him in this thread.. that is not the first post he's made on the forum that I've read or interacted with. Users have histories that extend beyond single threads..

I don't think it's a 'crime'... but if you are going to participate in a discussion with other people on the business, the industry, and the company itself... yes, we all need to live within the same reality. Just because the subject matter is entertainment including fantasy.. that doesn't mean we should all act like we ourselves live in a fantasy world.

Well some things come with the common understanding of the people in the conversation. If you jump into a circle of people that have a long history of covering a topic.. there are things that are commonly understood between them without having to spell it out first. Often people come in blindly without noticing that and take it the wrong way.. are everyone saints? No.. but if you come in without awareness of your audience.. things tend to be a rougher start :)

If they are acting irrational and don't represent anything you want to be a part of - you don't have to have their posts interfere with your experience.. use the ignore link. I'm not saying you need to create a 'view that only matches your world' - but if there are a few that you just feel you can't rationalize with... just ignore them.

It's only a discussion forum about a hobby/interest :)

And kudos to @ParentsOf4 of saying it much more concisely :)

Look I agree with everyone having there own opinions and being allowed to, of course! And yes having discussions as this is a forum, obviously. I am open to others opinions- I read a lot of the different threads on here.

The point I was trying to make and that we appear to disagree on is the rate and common occurrence at which "positive" posters are dismissed from discussion, in all threads- not just ones they've jumped in half way through or where someone has raised a negative point and they won't listen.

Anyway, we appear to have a differencing view of that and could go back and forth for ages. Shall we agree to disagree? As you stated- and as did I- this is a theme park/hobbie discussion forum. It's not the end of the world. :)

Otterhead

Interesting. When I was at WDW, I had breakfast with some folks who'd just been to Potter the day before, and they kept complaining that they had to pay admission to Universal with a Harry Potter upcharge, then pay a second admission to get into Diagon Alley. They said it ended up being far more expensive than a day at Magic Kingdom. Possibly they were mistaken?

Pluto15

I think everyone's opinion should be respected in a forum discussion board, that said opinions should be posted in an adult and respectful way.

Personally I think WDW is the most anazing and magical place. That may just be my view and feelings and it could be because it's so different to my own country and lifestyle etc but it's magical to visit.

Sure like every business there are always areas to improve but on the whole I find the cast the parks and resorts fantastic.

In life we have choices where to go and what to spend our money on. I have no idea what the stats are but I'm sure disney have a high percentage of regular and return customers. I'm sure the executives and board there want disney to be continually successful and improve.

I don't think disney is alone in prices rising. I find that in every aspect of life. Flights hotels restaurants are all struggling in the economy and as such have to at times increase in line with the market.

For me Disney offer the opportunitiy of a value moderate or delux vacation in terms of resorts food and tickets.

Personally it's value for me an well worth saving and planning for it. For many others it may be overpriced or not value for money. It's a very personal choice. My friends and family may prefer to spend money on a cruise or beach holiday.

I love Disney I always have and always will. Fortunately there are thousands of alternatives for everyone to choose.

There are many wonderful holiday destinations but not many that have the magic of WDW :)

acishere

Interesting. When I was at WDW, I had breakfast with some folks who'd just been to Potter the day before, and they kept complaining that they had to pay admission to Universal with a Harry Potter upcharge, then pay a second admission to get into Diagon Alley. They said it ended up being far more expensive than a day at Magic Kingdom. Possibly they were mistaken?
You need the 2 park pass to explore both Harry Potter areas in one day. Entering Universal Studios with a one park pass you can access Diagon Alley without paying anything extra. However if you want to board the Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade in IoA you need a two park pass, which does cost more. They probably bought a one park ticket and tried to board the train to the other park. Instead of comparing the cost to a day at MK, it would be more accurate to compare the price to a 1 day WDW park hopper ticket.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The point I was trying to make and that we appear to disagree on is the rate and common occurrence at which "positive" posters are dismissed from discussion, in all threads- not just ones they've jumped in half way through or where someone has raised a negative point and they won't listen.

But it takes two to be offended.. some people are just too sensitive ;) I see that far more entrenched than people who must see the dark cloud in everything. You see people ultimately dig in with 'well its MY OPINION and you must accept it!!!' - generally as their lashout when they can't support their opinion.

I just think if it's so bad and a pattern... you should just avoid those posters. People act like wdw1974's threads are the whole site at times.

Ariel1986

But it takes two to be offended.. some people are just too sensitive ;) I see that far more entrenched than people who must see the dark cloud in everything. You see people ultimately dig in with 'well its MY OPINION and you must accept it!!!' - generally as their lashout when they can't support their opinion.

I just think if it's so bad and a pattern... you should just avoid those posters. People act like wdw1974's threads are the whole site at times.

Well that's kind of my point- even people who avoid thread's like wdw1974's still get bulldozed by the people who automatically knock everything. You can't go into many threads or start a new thread on here without some people just having to quip in with an unnecessary derogatory comment about the parks, or worse, a comment unnecessarily directed at someone who has simply posted a positive comment.

But anyway... I'm stopping now... promise... ;):D

copcarguyp71

I prefer to compare Disney to itself...or at least its' former self. Is the value I feel today equal to, lesser than or greater than a previous experience? That is the crucible that I feel is really the most accurate in representing a fair and equitable decision making process. All this NFL game, movie ticket, Caribbean vacation comparison seems pointless.

I feel there used to be better value for the dollar than there is today. You may however not. The same can be said of many things including gas and food but I cannot chose not to buy those things...I can however chose where my vacation dollar goes based on what I feel I get a better value for in terms of enjoyment for the dollar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom