Small World Storymaker Finale

twilight mitsuk

There are numerous creative ways Disney could implement the goodbye screen into other attractions, making this a thing to look forward to at the end of any given ride.

For example, when your train is arriving back to the station on BTMR, have one designed as a "Wanted" / "Reward" poster, reminiscent of the old west, with the various passenger names showing up on the screen. Or at the end of HM, have the "hurry back" spirit holding a large screened death certificate with the names appearing as recently deceased. Instead of Captain Jack mumbling about his shiny rewards at the end of POTC, have him holding a screen showing all the names of his new pirate recruits. For SGE, it could simply be a personal apology from park mgmt. to all the guests who witnessed the attraction. The possibilities are vast with how this could creatively become a new tradition. Regardless of how they choose to implement the goodbye screen to each ride / attraction... it is only necessary that they do so in good time. As paying guests who shell-out a small fortune to vacation at Disney, if we are not in someway part of the stories, then none of it is worth our time. Guest recognition: It's a good thing.

along with your photo

Rteetz

I heard from a reliable source that the next stage is going to be the dolls coming to life and already knowing your name as they spring to life and haunt your nightmares for eternity.
Considering they are developing a small world movie that might actually happen.

No Name

Like ET? Revolutionary...
Last time I went on ET, they didn't bother to get our names. Sounds like you'd be happy to hear that though, since it's the equivalent of the feature "breaking."

Really though, and you're not nearly the only one, but the ET comments are not totally accurate. Sure, yes, ET has been doing it for years. But on the ride, it's not very unexpected, since it's the only ride you have to give your name for before you board. StoryMaker is far better because it elimates that extra and often telling step of giving your name, making this a true, nice, and subtle surprise.

And I'm sure certain foreigners love how ET pronounces their names. :D

Its the name on your MDE profile.

Nobody on the boat knows its your name except you and your family. The person in the row in front doesn't know if the name is yours or the person behind you or whoever. It would only be special to you.
Currently it doesn't seem like there is a way to opt out, other than using an RFID card instead of a band.
But when I was looking at MDE it asked me to confirm I agree with the terms again, which includes stating that a band can be used to deliver your site/app information to deliver personalised experiences.

Yes. I do not believe that a name will ever be attached with a picture, or at least not in the near future. That would bother quite a few people and pose a security risk. However, what they did here seems like a pretty safe thing, and something that won't throw off very security-conscious people off too much.

The whole purpose of this is that it!'s supposed to feel natural and special, not forced or creepy. Sure, it'll have a little bit of a creepy feeling for some, but the way they implemented this gives an "oh haha, our names, that's cool!" feeling rather than a "holy spitballs, how do they know my PERSONAL INFORMATION!!!" feeling. This serves it's purpose well.

I wouldn't mind an opt-out option though for those that don't want it. It can't hurt.
I visit Disneyland much more than Disneyworld, I only get to Florida once every couple of years. My last trip was February of 2015 and it included the use of the magic bands, FP+, Dining Plan, etc.. I would guess the majority of Disneyworld visitors are traveling and also participate in the full experience. I understand that to locals or more frequent visitors this stuff may seem hokey or a waste, but to a Disney parks fan that doesn't visit Disneyworld more than every couple of years the experience was actually kind of magical. I cannot wait until my next trip in February of 2018 (delayed to make sure Pandora is open) and I hope more Storymaker experiences are in place.

I've actually been waiting and hoping next gen experiences would be coming to Disneyland, interactive queues would especially be appreciated. For me this stuff absolutely enhances my experience and I know my opinion is different than the majority, but I think the cost has been worth it and I hope they charge full steam ahead implementing more of it everywhere.

Yes! There are so many possibilities, and they don't all have to be screen-based or goodbye messages like this. Characters knowing your name is the biggest one, that would be the epitome of special feeling, especially for children who think the characters are real. They'll truly feel invited! They'll truly feel like the character knows who they are! Can anyone honestly deny that that's a great use? Also, another great use would be a balloon guy knowing that it's your birthday, and saying "Happy Birthday! Would you like a balloon?" And guess what? I bet these people would be more inclined to buy a balloon. Same thing for many other areas.

Creating this connection and feeling is what'll really take the experience to the next level. And I don't just throw the term "next level" out there for anything. This technology, if used well, will truly bring a type of "specialness" that hasn't been seen before. And that specialness will lead to better profits, a win-win for everyone.

AndyS2992

Which ones are the Wales dolls? I always like to guess/name the countries with my daughter.
They are (or rather were) placed on the moon above England as seen here:
Entrance_Its_a_Small_World_Magic_Kingdom_Walt_Disney_World-1024x768.jpg

Which now looks like this:
its-a-small-world-disney_2374041.jpg

JoFu

Creating this connection and feeling is what'll really take the experience to the next level. And I don't just throw the term "next level" out there for anything. This technology, if used well, will truly bring a type of "specialness" that hasn't been seen before. And that specialness will lead to better profits, a win-win for everyone.
I agree. This is, I think, what Disney does best. Sure, maybe ET has been saying names for years, but it isn't unexpected, magical or very special. Any fan that is brought to or near to tears during Fantasmic! or World of Color knows that other parks are unlikely to elicit that feeling. I think that's because Disney has a huge library of special moments to pull from and to merge that content with customization or making people feel like it's just for them has the ability to be something huge.

Theme Parkitect

I agree. This is, I think, what Disney does best. Sure, maybe ET has been saying names for years, but it isn't unexpected, magical or very special. Any fan that is brought to or near to tears during Fantasmic! or World of Color knows that other parks are unlikely to elicit that feeling. I think that's because Disney has a huge library of special moments to pull from and to merge that content with customization or making people feel like it's just for them has the ability to be something huge.

That was the kindest and most eloquent description of the entire Next Gen program. Well done, sir, well done! :D

No Name

It amazes me how many Fisney fans have absolutely no grasp of the definition of the word 'subtle.' Placed and intended to be seen by all is not subtlety. If a concept is a positive there should be no need for such lying.
Non-subtle, in my view, would be a doll popping up with a sign saying "Happy Birthday Joe" or something like that. Something that throws you off a bit, and not in a bad way. It's just something that seizes your attention at first instant. Personally, I think this is very subtle. It's not popping out, it's just there, and a person or a family member will likely happen to see it if they're looking at the right time.

I can understand that you think subtle means even smaller than what I think it means. I guess we have different definitions of what subtle is, and that's fine. No problem at all there. But I'm certainly not wrong or "lying." It seems that you are trying to argue this change as a negative thing, and are therefore accusing me of somehow lying about what subtle means to defend my point? Even you know how rediculous that is. It's pretty weak to go after my use of a word rather than the actual point I made.

I really do want to hear your's and other's dissenting opinions, and some other people have given some, which is great. If you have anything to say as to why this is a bad addition, I would be glad to hear.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Non-subtle, in my view, would be a doll popping up with a sign saying "Happy Birthday Joe" or something like that. Something that throws you off a bit, and not in a bad way. It's just something that seizes your attention at first instant. Personally, I think this is very subtle. It's not popping out, it's just there, and a person or a family member will likely happen to see it if they're looking at the right time.

I can understand that you think subtle means even smaller than what I think it means. I guess we have different definitions of what subtle is, and that's fine. No problem at all there. But I'm certainly not wrong or "lying." It seems that you are trying to argue this change as a negative thing, and are therefore accusing me of somehow lying about what subtle means to defend my point? Even you know how rediculous that is. It's pretty weak to go after my use of a word rather than the actual point I made.

I really do want to hear your's and other's dissenting opinions, and some other people have given some, which is great. If you have anything to say as to why this is a bad addition, I would be glad to hear.
Subtle has a definition and you are trying to twist that definition. Something clearly noticeable and intended to be seen is not subtle. It being supposedly small and hard to notice (subtle) is one of your points. And these screens were installed with the idea that people would pay and a virtual doll would pop up with exclusive up charge messages.

I already made a comment on why this is a bad concept, because it is a focus on the self and not on the larger community as per the message of the attraction.

Cmdr_Crimson

For me, who doesn't get in often, can you describe what the integration in Everest would be?

There are advertising screens just as you exit the queue to get to the outside loading area and they are digital screens..
Expedition-Everest-Queue-3-Animal-Kingdom-Attraction.jpg

And here's the Muppet*Vision For Rent sign that should also be intergrated with it as well..
full

JoFu

There are advertising screens just as you exit the queue to get to the outside loading area and they are digital screens..
Expedition-Everest-Queue-3-Animal-Kingdom-Attraction.jpg

And here's the Muppet*Vision For Rent sign that should also be intergrated with it as well..
full
Oh, cool! Those weren't there last time I visited (about a year ago).

No Name

Subtle has a definition and you are trying to twist that definition. Something clearly noticeable and intended to be seen is not subtle. It being supposedly small and hard to notice (subtle) is one of your points. And these screens were installed with the idea that people would pay and a virtual doll would pop up with exclusive up charge messages.

I already made a comment on why this is a bad concept, because it is a focus on the self and not on the larger community as per the message of the attraction.
Okay, sure, I can see how it goes against the theme and message of the attraction a bit. I just don't think this is a major break in theme to the point where it's a bad thing.

Tossing Disney characters all over DL's classic ride bothers me. This, not at all, I like it.

And also, about the up-charge messages, well, it's certainly possible they'd go that route. But would I mind? Well.. maybe. On one hand, I'm sure some people would love to pay for something like that, and it would still be a surprise (maybe even a better one) for the other person/people. On the other hand, it lessens the total surprise for everyone. So I have mixed feelings on that.

My use of the word subtle is not worth arguing. Yes I agree that it's noticeable and intended to be seen. Overall we just have different opinions on this.

SirNim

MagicBands can be read from a distance, they use the same general technique to associate ride photos to riders without them specifically doing anything.
So here's a hypothetical. If the 15 year old son in the family decides to stay in bed, sick, at the hotel the day the rest of the family goes to MK, and the mother accidentally brings the son's band in her purse to the park (even though the son is still at the hotel, asleep), the band is not read for admission at the front gate. But, will the son's name still appear on the Goodbye screen since the band is on the mother's person (in her purse)?

JoFu

So here's a hypothetical. If the 15 year old son in the family decides to stay in bed, sick, at the hotel the day the rest of the family goes to MK, and the mother accidentally brings the son's band in her purse to the park (even though the son is still at the hotel, asleep), the band is not read for admission at the front gate. But, will the son's name still appear on the Goodbye screen since the band is on the mother's person (in her purse)?
That's a really strange edge case, but one they could easily get around with logic. You'll have to try it and tell us!

Adam N

What
a specific hypothetical. Haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom