Small World Storymaker Finale

Slowjack

I remember when weather.com had a local weather tweet feed, and thinking--what a huge amount of technology just to allow people to talk about the weather. I guess I feel the same way about this. Heck, the E.T. animitronic actually says your name out loud and has been doing so for a quarter-century.

To redeem this idea they could tie it into the theme of the ride in some way. Something like the globe at Spaceship Earth postshow, where it shows where everyone has come from?

And I agree with what others are saying: they need to keep the effects working before they spend money on junk like this. There were more than a half-dozen inanimate effects when I rode a few weeks ago.

Monorail_Red_77

and the neat part is those screens have been there for a year (maybe more) just never activated. Almost like they ran out of money before they were able to complete it. Sorta like the end of spaceship earth that is so exciting to experience

True. When they were first installed the screens displayed goodbye, etc. Then they were covered over with display boards. Then in the last month or so they were uncovered again, and again displayed various goodbyes. Good to see that they are working with MM+ finally.

disney4life2008

Its the name on your MDE profile.

Nobody on the boat knows its your name except you and your family. The person in the row in front doesn't know if the name is yours or the person behind you or whoever. It would only be special to you.
Currently it doesn't seem like there is a way to opt out, other than using an RFID card instead of a band.
But when I was looking at MDE it asked me to confirm I agree with the terms again, which includes stating that a band can be used to deliver your site/app information to deliver personalised experiences.

I understand that, even still I do not want to see my name. Its just not my thing but I am very conservative about these type of things. I could do without seeing peoples names period. But, the last scene on the ride is a bore so I can accept.

lazyboy97o

I find it so hard to keep track... why do we hate this seemingly innocent upgrade and wish for it to break?
Because the attraction is supposed to be about us, not you. It is a needless fix to a problem that only exists amongst those making the decisions who don't like their product and feel an incessant need to make thing 'relevant.'

CaptainAmerica

Why? What don't you like about it? Your opinion is your opinion and it's fine, but if you're going to make a sort of snarky comment, it would at least be nice to know why you're against it.
Don't you know? We hate everything around here. We hate classic things because they're old. We hate new things because they're not classic. We hate upgrades because they're not big enough. We hate big upgrades because they take too long. We hate things that don't take long because that means they were done "on the cheap." We hate things that aren't done "on the cheap" because they're a waste of money.

I feel like there's a ton of cynicism towards these, but I realized they are not exactly geared towards us. I think when a kid sees their name on the board, it will be a cool experience. Basically make them feel part of the ride...personal. I'm looking forward to seeing it on Monday.
Not even just kids. I think this will be a nice "magical" touch even for those adults that don't read forums and don't know it's coming.

OliveMcFly

ET's been doing it for years. :hilarious:
et_promo.jpg

MississippiBelle

Am I the only one slightly bothered that every person on the boat is included on one screen? Not that I need a screen to myself, but it takes away the magic of getting a personalized greeting and turns it into a laundry list of everyone who is riding.

asianway

Am I the only one slightly bothered that every person on the boat is included on one screen? Not that I need a screen to myself, but it takes away the magic of getting a personalized greeting and turns it into a laundry list of everyone who is riding.
Like ET? Revolutionary...

glvsav37

Bothered.....IDK?

there may be more screens, or at least it will cycle though b/c there are only 5-6 names on that screen and the boats hold so many more. So i think the term 'laundry list' is a little too much to describe these.

JoFu

I visit Disneyland much more than Disneyworld, I only get to Florida once every couple of years. My last trip was February of 2015 and it included the use of the magic bands, FP+, Dining Plan, etc.. I would guess the majority of Disneyworld visitors are traveling and also participate in the full experience. I understand that to locals or more frequent visitors this stuff may seem hokey or a waste, but to a Disney parks fan that doesn't visit Disneyworld more than every couple of years the experience was actually kind of magical. I cannot wait until my next trip in February of 2018 (delayed to make sure Pandora is open) and I hope more Storymaker experiences are in place.

I've actually been waiting and hoping next gen experiences would be coming to Disneyland, interactive queues would especially be appreciated. For me this stuff absolutely enhances my experience and I know my opinion is different than the majority, but I think the cost has been worth it and I hope they charge full steam ahead implementing more of it everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom