Six Flags

hypercatmatt04

Original Poster
So I had Six Flags job training today, and I noticed a lot of new things added to the park that seem like they came right from Disney.
First off, they showed us a video of a WDW Cast Member at Its a Small World being curtious to guests, saying thats how we should be.
Next, I noticed that they changed their ride reservation system's name to "Flash Pass". Hmm.
Also, the Lost and Found is called "Lost Parents".
Now, we have fireworks every Tuesday and Wednesday, instead of just on July 4th.
Also, a parade every day at 4 has been added.

Mecha Figment

yeah six flags over georgia is doing some new stuff too. actualy stuff they use to do when i was a kid. For example the characters are actualy going to be out in the parks again, a lot more, and signature books will be sold for the first time .

Rob562

hypercatmatt04 said:
So I had Six Flags job training today, and I noticed a lot of new things added to the park that seem like they came right from Disney.
First off, they showed us a video of a WDW Cast Member at Its a Small World being curtious to guests, saying thats how we should be.
Next, I noticed that they changed their ride reservation system's name to "Flash Pass". Hmm.
Now, we have fireworks every Tuesday and Wednesday, instead of just on July 4th.

As your profile lists you as being from Agawam, I'm assuming you're referring to Six Flags New England. :) (Unless you like making one heck of a commute to NJ or Darien Lake...)

I'm wondering if they changed the name of their ride reservation system because it used to be called Fast Lane, and Fast Lane is also the name of the automatic toll payment system ont he Massachusetts Turnpike. (For years I've wondered if Guests have gone out to their cars and pulled the transponder off their windshield to try and use SFNE's FastLane...)

Interesting about the fireworks. And a *parade*?!? I'd actually heard that the new guy in charge of the SF parks wanted to put a parade in the parks, but I'm just curious as to where the heck a parade is going to GO at SFNE. It definitely won't be anything as grand as a Disney parade. I envision one or two cars or modified golf carts with a few characters... I cringe at the thought of traffic flow at the center of the park. It's one huge (or should it be small?) bottleneck. To get from one end of the park to the other you HAVE to go through that one small section. They need to increase the traffic flow somehow.

-Rob (who year after year holds out hope that SOMEONE at SFNE will put a little TLC into their Houdini attraction... Add the effects from Great Adventure's)

Namine78

I'm waiting to have my second interview for Six Flags Great America. It's for clerical in the rides dept. I feel kinda dirty...but heck, it's close. But when I do have more experience, I'm going to audition for their entertainment. I'd rather be doing that, and it could help me out in the long run.

nibblesandbits

hypercatmatt04 said:

My brother works at a Six Flags (and so did I for a brief time) so I have a few answers about things for you. (Although he works at a different one than you, but I think they are all trying to be the same.)

1. The old name of our Flash Pass system was Q-bot...no one knew what the hell it was, so they changed it. Makes sense to change it too. If no one understands what the name means, no one's going to buy it.
2. Lost and Found has always been called Lost Parents here. It's less scary sounding
3. We are getting fireworks too. We used to have them all the time, but they got rid of them because they were having budget problems and couldn't afford it. Now that they've gotten rid of Astroworld, they have a little extra budget to work with. Hence getting fireworks.
4. I'm not sure about us getting a parade this year, but I know that Great America had a nighttime parade that I saw last year when I visited last summer.

I don't necessarily think that Six Flags is trying to copy Disney, but I think they are trying to make their parks better than they are now. (Considering they are pretty crappy looking most of the time.)

brkgnews

A PR rep from Six Flags over Georgia said on one of their fan boards that the name was changed to help market it with their Flash Gordon character.

nibblesandbits

brkgnews said:
A PR rep from Six Flags over Georgia said on one of their fan boards that the name was changed to help market it with their Flash Gordon character.
That's right...I did hear that. I forgot that's why they changed the name of it.

nibblesandbits

Namine78 said:
No, it's The Flash from DC comics (WB). You are thinking of Flash Gordon, which is from King Features (Universal).
I knew it was related to somebody named Flash...couldn't remember exactly who. The DC comics version makes much more sense.

hypercatmatt04

Original Poster
Rob562 said:
As your profile lists you as being from Agawam, I'm assuming you're referring to Six Flags New England. :) (Unless you like making one heck of a commute to NJ or Darien Lake...)

I'm wondering if they changed the name of their ride reservation system because it used to be called Fast Lane, and Fast Lane is also the name of the automatic toll payment system ont he Massachusetts Turnpike. (For years I've wondered if Guests have gone out to their cars and pulled the transponder off their windshield to try and use SFNE's FastLane...)

Interesting about the fireworks. And a *parade*?!? I'd actually heard that the new guy in charge of the SF parks wanted to put a parade in the parks, but I'm just curious as to where the heck a parade is going to GO at SFNE. It definitely won't be anything as grand as a Disney parade. I envision one or two cars or modified golf carts with a few characters... I cringe at the thought of traffic flow at the center of the park. It's one huge (or should it be small?) bottleneck. To get from one end of the park to the other you HAVE to go through that one small section. They need to increase the traffic flow somehow.

-Rob (who year after year holds out hope that SOMEONE at SFNE will put a little TLC into their Houdini attraction... Add the effects from Great Adventure's)

It's going to start near the waterpark and go all the way up to Crackaxle Canyon, the western place. It's called Celebrate the Stars. I'm looking at pictures of the different types of cars that will be in it from a paper they gave me, and I see a trolly car with characters, some old fashioned cars, and Justice League characters on ATVs.

This year is Six Flags 45th Anniversary, so maybe thats why theres so much new stuff.

Also, it states that there will be no less than 15 characters on the midway at all times. This is getting me excited.
:)

hypercatmatt04

Original Poster
They also compare Six Flags to Disney on the paper. It says "..a day at Six Flags costs less than most concert tickets or major league sporting events, not to mention Disney: our tickets cost less and, even better, we're closer to home - guests don't have to fly to come see us."

loriwdunn

Six Flags Great Adventure had a parade when I was there last year. It was awful. I only caught a second of it but it had a bunch of cheerleaders leading a painted double decker bus with some singers standing on it. A few years ago I noticed that the music they had playing throughout the park was the soundtrack music from Beauty and the Beast but I havent heard it recently.

Rob562

hypercatmatt04 said:
They also compare Six Flags to Disney on the paper. It says "..a day at Six Flags costs less than most concert tickets or major league sporting events, not to mention Disney: our tickets cost less and, even better, we're closer to home - guests don't have to fly to come see us."

Hrmmm... Not to bash SFNE or anything (after all, it IS home to my favorite coaster)...
The gate-price is $50, parking is now a whopping $15(?!?!???) per car at SFNE. I think the food is of better quality (and often cheaper) at the Disney parks than in SFNE. (I only eat at the barbecue place in Crackaxle Canyon because at leats it's the best food in the park, and you usually get a ton of curly fries) :animwink:
Also, unless they find a way to improve the parking lot and trams, $15 is an utter and complete rip-off for what you get. For your $15 at Six Flags, you park in a lot a LONG way away from the front entrance (I cringe at the once or twice I had to park in the overflow lot that's evern farther away). The lot is laid out like your typical strip-mall parking lot. Lots of rows, occasional islands and curbs, no planned traffic flow. And most importantly, noone directing you specifically to spaces. (I think on a very busy day I once had someone with an orange flag making a half-hearted attempt at waving you in a general direction. You then have to WALK to the front of the lot where the one and only tram station is, in the spot in the lot that's closest to the gate. If the tram isn't sitting there (and they're relatively small trams, seating maybe the equivalent of 1-1.5 individual Disney tram cars), it's faster to keep walking yourself. Even after getting off the tram, you still have to climb up a ton of stairs (or ramps) to go up and over the bridge to the entrance.

Compare that to Disney's parking which is $9. You have a whole crew of people directing you into the lot, down specific aisles and into specific spots. The aisles are all one-way, and they're laid out with traffic flow in mind. You then just walk to the end of your aisle, and the tram stops there, not in one specific spot where only 50 people can get on-board at once... You're then dropped off right at the entrance (with the exception of MK, of course).

I think if Six Flags wants to charge the insane price of $15 to park in their lots (or worse, the dirt field that is the overflow lot), they really need to improve what they offer you. Better designed lots, more convenient tram, employees directing traffic.

Sorry 'bout all that. Rant off... :)

-Rob

hypercatmatt04

Original Poster
I agree with you, Rob.
They now charge all employees five dollars for a drop off pass so that people like me with out cars can get dropped off by my parents to work.
Last year it was free.
And the parking used to be better, until they demolished half the lot to put in the water park addition. The only place they could expand the parking, though, was across the street, so I don't blame them for that.
But it would've been better if the waterpark was across the street instead.
And about the food, I love the BBQ place in Crackaxle! (maybe it's only because I only have to pay about $4 for a meal and a medium soda because of my employee discount though...:lookaroun )

Cliffordsmon

If you notice any "Disney" similarities it could be because ex-Disney employee Mark Shapiro is now President and CEO of Six Flags. He was executive VP at ESPN for programing and production and had nothing to do with the parks. Still, how can you work for Disney and not gain knowledge of the parks?

imagineer boy

I had the extreme displeasure of rideing the "Monster Plantation" ride at Six Flags over Georgia on my band trip last year, and that easily tops SGE as the worst ride I have ever been on. :lol: It was laughably terrible.

DisJosh

hypercatmatt04 said:
SFNE is removing five rides in the next two years!
:mad:

They should have just demolished Riverside Park and started fresh. That place is a mess because of their decission to add on and remodel. I'm not surprised they need to remove rides.

brkgnews

Namine78 said:
No, it's The Flash from DC comics (WB). You are thinking of Flash Gordon, which is from King Features (Universal).
See... I knew I'd fark it up. But at least I was in the ballpark. :wink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom