Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

Kman101

Well that's a blow. I was told they'd renewed.

Be afraid. Or it could work in the classics favour.

Considering they act like they need sponsors to do anything I'd be more afraid they let it fall apart then put anything new and shiny in there but I'm afraid regardless. I can't see them spending money anytime soon on a replacement but there was one point in time I didn't expect Great Movie Ride to be gutted and replaced by Mickey Mouse

SpaceMountain77

With this news, I fear the days of Epcot's last remaining Omnimover dark ride are numbered. We may soon need to thank the Phoenicians for helping us to celebrate advances in human communication for the past 35 years. :cry:

If we wish to discover the wonders of Epcot, it seems as though Living with the Land will be our last outpost.

trainplane3

Be afraid.
1312222868424-1.jpg

Appropriate?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Exactly. I can't stand them acting like they're unable to afford upkeep if there's no sponsor. The days of sponors are mostly long over with. It's just an excuse because they're too cheap in this case to do anything

I am struggling to find/remember recent examples of this. Perhaps you can refresh my memory?

Cmdr_Crimson

With this news, I fear the days of Epcot's last remaining Omnimover dark ride are numbered. We may soon need to thank the Phoenicians for helping us to celebrate advances in human communication for the past 35 years. :cry:

Could be worse...They could say just look at the screen while riding and do not look up until the ride is done...While everything is covered in black cloth..

BasiltheBatLord

Could somebody explain to me the thinking that no sponsor = end of SSE? I understand that the attraction has never operated without a sponsor, but why does that necessarily have to mean its closure? Is Disney 100% dedicated on not up-keeping it under its own dime?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

If we wish to discover the wonders of Epcot, it seems as though Living with the Land will be our last outpost.
The only thing that is keeping me from going nuts is the omnimover track is integrated into the structure of SSE. Had it not been, it would have already been transformed into a roller coaster.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20170617_174513.jpg
Everyone needs to step away from the ledge. I get it, Lord Chapek is probably foaming at the mouth at a possible opportunity Of inserting yet another IP into IPcot. Conversly, what if a new sponsor comes along and gives SSE some tlc? Point is, this could go either way. Regardless, I'm going to be riding SSE as much as possible now.

Tavernacle12

Be afraid.

How afraid?

Mildly - Spaceship Earth is left to stagnate for the next ten years
Moderately - Spaceship Earth: Now Featuring Figment
Very - Spaceship Earth gets a cheap makeover similar to Imagination
Extremely - Spaceship Earth: Now Featuring Stitch
Oh @#$@# - Death Star
Everything Is Dead - Now It's A Roller Coaster
Weeping In The Feeble Position - Whole thing is torn down

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's early days but....

A proposal has been made for way down the line with a substantial amount of money involved. This news could mean the proposal won't happen since I can't see TWDC paying it themselves.

This could be relatively good news since it'll mean there wouldn't be massive changes. Maybe they'll even get rid of the screens. Maybe.

Or maybe it'll be a return to 2004 with no changes and minimal upkeep. Like I said, early days.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Could somebody explain to me the thinking that no sponsor = end of SSE? I understand that the attraction has never operated without a sponsor, but why does that necessarily have to mean its closure? Is Disney 100% dedicated on not up-keeping it under its own dime?
I don't think Disney will close it. The big problem is they don't have a very good track record with maintaining sponsorless attractions. They also tend to give a new sponsor quite a bit of creative control with the attraction they sponsor.

Siemens was a rare case where the sponsor liked the original EPCOT ideals. Odds are we will not be so lucky the next time around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom