Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

G00fyDad

Brazilian tour groups not staying at a Disney resort and would be most likely not to have gotten the news of a ban.

They know full well they're not supposed to have the stick before they get to the park. If they're in an organized tour group then they've been told. On top of the fact that this ban has made international news. Other countries have been seeing it on their news programs. They knew there was a ban on the sticks. They just decided to use the "No speak English!" defense.

Last edited:

Pirate665

Selfie sticks fold up pretty small. If all they are going to do is check bags it's not going to work, bag checks are for show only not to actually catch things coming into the park. The only real way they can effectively ban these is to have a very strict stance on them and take serious action like removing people from the park and trespassing people when they are discovered then let word of mouth take care of the rest. Otherwise this whole thing is just a joke.
Show only? Seeing as how they've found guns, knives, and tasers and stopped them from coming into the park with the assistance of the OCS deputy's, I'd be certainly glad of that "show" if I were you...

s8film40

Show only? Seeing as how they've found guns, knives, and tasers and stopped them from coming into the park with the assistance of the OCS deputy's, I'd be certainly glad of that "show" if I were you...
I can assure you guns, knives and tasers are in the Disney parks every day. The only reason any of these have ever been "caught" by security is the guests forgot they had them in the bag they were carrying in or were unaware of the bag checks. Anyone who WANTS to take their gun, knife, taser, alcohol, selfie stick, etc. into the park puts it in their pocket. Plain and simple Disney security bag checks are not intended to keep these things out they are for show to make people feel more secure. If the intention was to keep this stuff out they would have metal detectors.

Tigger1988

The security check is largely a smoke and mirrors deal. I've watched people pull knives out of pouches in a stroller to open a toy they just bought at the Emporium. A gun was found on Dinosaur. It's the illusion of safety, but we're really no better off with the ordeal. The only thing I've ever seen "caught" at security first hand was a Snapple bottle.

If someone wants to bring in a dangerous item they can with little to no issue. Cargo pants, strollers, regular pockets, jackets... none of which are checked.

Pirate665

I can assure you guns, knives and tasers are in the Disney parks every day. The only reason any of these have ever been "caught" by security is the guests forgot they had them in the bag they were carrying in or were unaware of the bag checks. Anyone who WANTS to take their gun, knife, taser, alcohol, selfie stick, etc. into the park puts it in their pocket. Plain and simple Disney security bag checks are not intended to keep these things out they are for show to make people feel more secure. If the intention was to keep this stuff out they would have metal detectors.
Sure. You are completely right. Forgive me. I was wrong. My 13 years means nothing and our contract with OCS is worthless as well as the countless hours of training security has to go through to keep guest like you safe.

Forgive me for the countless, worthless times DHS has coached us in management on terrorism prevention and of course the millions we spend on surveillance and safety equipment (including metal detectors and wands that at least 2 guards have near main entrance at anytime) that Disney spends to keep you safe.

Next time you're in the park, count yourself lucky that all that is there because that "show" works and keeps people safe. Ask any guard the amount of training they've undergone. Please do. Yes people will bring it in, but eventually those who risk it do get caught. You can't stop everyone, but you can try and have people feel safer at least.

Enjoy the "show" because I do. And the same goes for when I visit USO too.

s8film40

Sure. You are completely right. Forgive me. I was wrong. My 13 years means nothing and our contract with OCS is worthless as well as the countless hours of training security has to go through to keep guest like you safe.

Forgive me for the countless, worthless times DHS has coached us in management on terrorism prevention and of course the millions we spend on surveillance and safety equipment (including metal detectors and wands that at least 2 guards have near main entrance at anytime) that Disney spends to keep you safe.

Next time you're in the park, count yourself lucky that all that is there because that "show" works and keeps people safe. Ask any guard the amount of training they've undergone. Please do. Yes people will bring it in, but eventually those who risk it do get caught. You can't stop everyone, but you can try and have people feel safer at least.

Enjoy the "show" because I do. And the same goes for when I visit USO too.
I have worked with people who work in WDW security, Universal Security and OCS and not just bag checkers, people who have spent years working in investigations, undercover, K-9 units etc. and they would be the first to say bag checks are for show. Unless your training included X-ray vision your not going to know if someone walks right into the park with whatever weapon they want. I'm sorry but when I visit the parks I'm not blind enough to think oh gee I'm perfectly safe because that Disney employee out front checked everyones bag. I also do not have much of an appreciation for the bag checks because no they don't make things safer, in fact the biggest thing they do is keep people from bringing in alcohol. I understand the security guards are just doing their jobs, but those security resources would be far more effective dispersed throughout the parks. Not only that but while some may take the job seriously other just don't care. Some security guards don't even look in the bags they just make a motion like they're looking through it and move onto the next one. I one time encountered a situation where literally hundreds of people through no fault of their own were bypassing the bags checks it would have taken very minimal effort to correct this, I told several of the security guards and they all responded "oh well".

FigmentsFangirl

Saw five stupid sticks at DHS this afternoon, pointed the new ban in place, they put them away, but I still pointed them out to a CM not far away; Security was everywhere in DHS though, which I thought kind of weird, two Disney Security at every attraction entry, plus about a dozen more roving the park too

AEfx

As I read the first few pages of this, I feel ashamed to own one.. (though I rarely use it) :oops:

61804949.jpg

;)

Cesar R M

I suppose it depends on the gun? smaller guns can easily be concealed, but a rifle? big pistols and long knives that can deal real damage? they definitively wont fit that easy.

KeithVH

I suppose it depends on the gun? smaller guns can easily be concealed, but a rifle? big pistols and long knives that can deal real damage? they definitively wont fit that easy.
Not to fork the thread but, on a cool, rainy day, wearing baggy pants and a hoody, I could easily get a long rifle out of 3 or 4 different designs right past security. Look up CSR. Limiting factor would be amount of ammo that could be carried.

AEfx

Not to fork the thread but, on a cool, rainy day, wearing baggy pants and a hoody, I could easily get a long rifle out of 3 or 4 different designs right past security. Look up CSR. Limiting factor would be amount of ammo that could be carried.

That's why the thing is mostly just "security theater" when it comes to actually protecting from a real threat - but it does help curtail the idiots who try to bring in stupid things.

MonkeyHead

Anything you can fit into clothes will get through, period. Unless it's something like HHN at UO where metal detectors are employed.

Cesar R M

JimboJones123

A group was taking a selfie stick picture in the parking lot at DHS on the 4th. A parking attendant IMMEDIATELY sprinted towards the group and firmly told them to put the selfie stick in the car and they would not be allowed to go even towards the tram if they didn't.

Firm but clear enforcement. They made sure to make quite the scene too so anybody watching would know without a doubt what the policy was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom