Say goodbye to ALL the clubs at PI.

goodolgm

Wow....naturally I'm skeptical, but we can always hope....

And I dunno...just seems like there's too much invested in Mannequins to simply dump away...$2 million lighting system, rotating dance floor...won't exactly be the easiest/most versatile building to convert. Just seems like a waste to give up. A couple of the longtime bartenders there have told me they have indeed been told they will be redeployed elsewhere on property, so I don't know what to believe anymore.

I'm sensing a false hope and we should just enjoy PI while it's still here. But still hanging onto hope...

Chernabogfan

Just think of how much of the equipment & technology at Mannequins could get absorbed in whatever new plans may come along for RoE's replacement. I imagine they could find a use for the motor that spins the floor especially...

WDWFigment

So I might have a smidgen of good news... a SMIDGEN. Take it with a grain of salt though, as I can't confirm its veracity.

I flew back to San Juan from Virgin Gorda last night, and I struck a conversation with the passenger next to me, who is an engineer contracted to TWDC in Lake Buena Vista, connecting in San Juan for his flight home to Orlando.

He mentioned that his 2 previous projects at Disney before being contracted specifically by Disney were Curl and "the Irish pub at pleasure island"

I then mentioned the Pleasure Island closing, and his mention was that two of the clubs were to reopen, he mentioned specifically "a comedy club" and "one of the main dance clubs" but that the rest is going to be redeveloped into shopping and dining :hurl:

We swapped business cards (since he seemed quite a bit more interested in my work for Obama than I did in his work for Disney... and I was very interested) and hopefully we'll remain in contact.

Sounds like a beacon of hope. It will be interesting to see what you hear from him in the future. Just out of curiosity, did he 'seem' like a higher up engineer?

WDWFigment

Imagination - They added Figment into what amounts to be the exact same ride it was before. Same effects. Same track. Same sets. Same story.

Epcot's 25th, they made official what was going to be unofficial regardless. The fans were going to show up and celebrate Epcots 25th whether Disney liked it or not. Disney shelled out the money to have higher-ups speak. That's all.

The wand (as discussed far too often before) probably had more to do with Siemens than with the fans. It was listed as temporary from the very beginning. I wouldn't consider that a feather in the fanboys' cap.

CoP is still listed as seasonal and is still presumably in the way of the next Tomorrowland expansion.

If the "success" of the fans are any indication, Adventurer's Club will probably end up a dry, themed, family resturaunt sans entertainment. Then Disney can say, "Look! We gave them back the Adventurer's Club and increased our profit margins!" Would you be happy with that?

This certainly is a reductionist way of looking at it. You could just as easily say:

JII - Disney spent millions to inject Figment into an existing attraction just to appease fans.

Epcot's 25th - spent the money to give diehard fans what they want. High level executives and imagineers took the time to meet with those diehards. an eight month plus walkthrough exhibit was opened.

The Wand - Siemens and MacPhee's wishes didn't fall on deaf ears because enough fans had expressed a disdain for the wand. (I think it's reasonable to think that WDW financial folk would've attempted to convince Seimens to route its money elsewhere than destruction if that destruction weren't backed by fan demand).

CoP - you can assume it's standing in the way of the next Tomorrowland attraction? Fine, I'll assume it's slated for a big upgrade and overhaul for WDW's 40th. Which means it's safe for at least 3 years. The fanboys win, again!

To be fair, there obviously have been plenty of fan-failures. Mr. Toad is still closed, so is 20k. River Country is still rotting, and Dreamfinder is still dead. But if you go into something with the mentality that your voice doesn't matter, you've effectively silenced it. At the very least, it's "worth a shot".

shoppingnut

But if you go into something with the mentality that your voice doesn't matter, you've effectively silenced it. At the very least, it's "worth a shot".

Totally agree. You need to voice your opinion, I certainly did and feel better that I did something rather than nothing. If enough people voice their opinion maybe they will reconsider it's value and it will remain in some form or another or moved.

Legacy

So I might have a smidgen of good news... a SMIDGEN. Take it with a grain of salt though, as I can't confirm its veracity.

I flew back to San Juan from Virgin Gorda last night, and I struck a conversation with the passenger next to me, who is an engineer contracted to TWDC in Lake Buena Vista, connecting in San Juan for his flight home to Orlando.

He mentioned that his 2 previous projects at Disney before being contracted specifically by Disney were Curl and "the Irish pub at pleasure island"

I then mentioned the Pleasure Island closing, and his mention was that two of the clubs were to reopen, he mentioned specifically "a comedy club" and "one of the main dance clubs" but that the rest is going to be redeveloped into shopping and dining :hurl:

We swapped business cards (since he seemed quite a bit more interested in my work for Obama than I did in his work for Disney... and I was very interested) and hopefully we'll remain in contact.

Frankly Rob, that sounds far to similar to the April's Fool article I wrote for Mousevine last year for me to consider this remotely possible.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Sounds like a beacon of hope. It will be interesting to see what you hear from him in the future. Just out of curiosity, did he 'seem' like a higher up engineer?

He didn't seem like a higher up by how casually and informally he spoke, but the fact that he's going back to the US from a vacation in Virgin Gorda BVI, and that he was wearing a Patek Philippe tells me that he makes more money than someone at the bottom, so I'm split. It could be either way.

Frankly Rob, that sounds far to similar to the April's Fool article I wrote for Mousevine last year for me to consider this remotely possible.

Got a link? I just checked Mousevine out for the first time, and their archives only go back as far as May.

I did however say to take it with a grain of salt, since I can't confirm the veracity of what was said when I live 1200 miles away (across water) from WDW.

Th PI space did seem to take up alot of very very valuable land to sit unused for the better part of half of a tourist's day. Open it all up all the way across, and connect the two ends to one happy usable all day space. No more East Side West side, were all one big family, dont seperate us into Sides any more.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

MousDad

A poster on LP posted the following information on 7/20/08:

http://mb.laughingplace.com/MsgBoard-T-98402-P-1.asp

I have no idea if the info is legit, or if it was a typo, but I figured a lot of you would be interested. Basically, the poster claims he just received a WDW DVD yesterday, and included with it was a flyer. The flyer said that PI clubs are slated to close on September 8, 2008.

Again, I'm just passing this on because I saw it, and I know a lot of people are planning farewell trips for the end of September. Hopefully, it's not true.

Thurp

The flyer said that PI clubs are slated to close on September 8, 2008.

That looks like a typo. The last day of operations is Sept 27th, so the clubs would be closed on Sept 28th. Leave out the 2 and it becomes Sept 8th.

I went by the AC on Saturday. The place was PACKED. People were lining up for the library shows way before each show started. It was a great night, as always.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom