Trip Report Sage's First Magical Trip!

Hi everyone! I am so excited to finally be writing my trip report! The Christmas hustle & bustle has just been crazy since we got back and I'm still struggling to catch up!! We just had the most wonderous, glorious, magical, Disney trip! This trip was myself, my husband, and our daughter Sage. Sage was just a few weeks shy of her 4th birthday for this trip. We were there from Saturday 11/29 through Sunday 12/7. My husband Nick and I have been twice together prior to having Sage, once in 2008 and once in 2009, but this was her first trip!!
A little bit of back story- I work as a dance teacher and as a nanny so I am with little kids (especially girls) all day long. I see the change in girls around when they go to Kindergarten, they start to lose that 'everything is magical' , princess loving attitude and are much more influenced by older kids/shows/products. After Sage was born, I told my husband it was super, super important to me that we make it to Disney before her 5th birthday. I just really wanted to experience a magical trip through her eyes. We went through a bit of a financial struggle right after she was born (we have terrible health insurance and the bills we got from my pregnancy, labor and delivery were unbelievable) but we worked really hard to save for this trip. This trip was literally, five years in the making.
Finally, last March, we officially booked our trip. I had always wanted to go around Christmas time to see the decorations and special offerings so picking our dates was easy. The hubs only request, that we stay on budget as much as possible! I really wanted to stay at Art of Animation in a Little Mermaid room but, hubs said no, so, in an effort to save some money, we went with Pop Century.
Another way we tried to save money was by packing our own food from home. I packed bread (in a shoe box so it wouldn't get crushed), PB & J, Nutella, granola bars, dried fruit & nuts, small cereal boxes, juice, drink mix ins and tons of snacks. I also bought us all Hydro Flask water bottles so we could pack our own icy cold drinks every day. And, once again with our budget in mind, we left SUPER early on our arrival day, because that flight was the cheapest. Which brings me to.....

Saturday 11/29: Day 1
Our flight was leaving Providence at 6:05am (!) We let Sage travel in her PJs so we literally rolled her out of bed and into the car. We thought we gave ourselves plenty of time but the airport was surprisingly busy. We waited for quite a while both checking our bags and going through security. We had a mid B boarding pass for Southwest, but when we got to the gate, they had already loaded A's and B's and were almost on the C's. We basically ran (well fast walked) from security straight onto the plane. Thankfully, we found 3 seats together.
This was Sage's 1st flight and she handled it like a pro. I had bought lots of small toys, crafts, books etc at the dollar store and walmart before we left, both for the plane and for waiting in line. My mom also bought her a Kindle Fire for her birthday and gave it to her before we left. So she had books and games on there too. She never once complained or whined and just happily played. So that was a relief!
10424288_902293353115599_8248091888950438798_n.jpg

We actually landed a few minutes early, which is always awesome! Everyone has this picture, right? :)
photo 1.JPG

Even though we were taking the Magical Express, we decided to get our bags ourselves. I just knew that if I had a certain outfit for Sage in our carry on, once we got to the hotel, she would suddenly change her mind and insist on something else. I'm sure anyone with a 3 year old understands :) Now, getting our bags, and getting to the Magical Express was ridonkulous. Longest walk ever. Tram rides, down escalators, up elevators. All while pushing Sage in a stroller, carrying 3 carry ons and eventually, pulling 3 big suitcases. Holy cow. We were exhausted.

So, we finally get to Pop Century a little before 11am (not bad at all!!) Stepping off the bus onto Disney property is just the best feeling ever. The Pop Century cast members were blowing bubbles and waving their giant Mickey hands. Everyone was so friendly and happy. I got in the check in line, Nick wandered a little with Sage. I was super excited to get the exact location I requested, 50's building, lake side. Look at our gorgeous view-
IMG_9210.JPG

Sage was so excited to check out our comfy beds!
IMG_9206.JPG

I will talk more about my overall Pop thoughts later, but I have to say, we LOVED it!!! It's so beautiful. The grounds, the attention to detail, the larger than life statues. So welcoming and kid friendly. The pools are gorgeous. I miss Pop Century....
So, we got Sage dressed (finally) and first off, we needed food!!! We had left our house around 4:30am, thinking we would have plenty of time to grab some Dunks at the airport but with all the rushing, we had no extra time at all. So here it was 11am, and the only thing we had eaten was the pretzels on the plane! So we made our way to the food court.
Stopped to see Lady
IMG_9214.JPG

So our room was actually in the building behind Tramp and sadly, I never got a picture of him! So weird too, cause I take pictures of everything :) Every morning walking to the elevator we would say good morning to Tramp's butt. And then good night to Tramp's butt on our way back. So sad I never got a picture!

Sage with the Pop Christmas Tree
IMG_9215.JPG

So we got our lunch, and our refillable mugs and then went back up to the room. I unpacked our stuff and then the plan was to rest, but crazy enough, our FP times were fast approaching so we pretty much had to get ready to go. We were planning on heading to MK that day. We knew it would be busy, being the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but Sage of course really wanted to go there first. Our 3 FPs were for Splash, Thunder (Sage's picks, she wanted to ride them first!) and Haunted Mansion (my pick since it would be closed the rest of our trip). My goal was the accomplish those 3 things, see the parade, meet Tiana, and maybe do one other thing in the Frontierland/Liberty Square area.
So before we left, we had to do a few things with our tickets. It's kind of confusing but basically, we bought a 6 day base ticket for each of us. We have a family member who works for ESPN and he was able to get each of us a one day park hopper. My husband works for CBS and he was able to get two 1-day media passes. So, myself and Nick had a total of 8 days but Sage only had 7. So we had to add an extra day to her ticket, and we also had to assign the hopper pass to the last day of our trip. We were told we could do that either at guest relations in any park or at the hotel concierge. The line for the concierge was so, so long and of course, they had no clue how to do what we needed.
So, we went out to the bus stop as luck would have it, the MK bus took FOREVER. I forget what time it was, but I remember I was really nervous we wouldn't have time to do our ticket business and make our first FP time. I wanted to do the ticket stuff first because I didn't want our band to use the hopper ticket on our first day when I knew we would not be hopping.
So, I got on my phone to try and change our FP times. A note that I discovered at this time, the Disney wifi would only work in our room at Pop Century. I tried many times throughout the week to use it at the bus stop, and in the parks and it NEVER worked. So frustrating. Also frustrating, I wish there was an option to bump all 3 FPs back by one hour. I couldn't move our Splash FP without first moving the other 2. I was able to bump back HM, but there were no times left for BTMR before like 9pm. So, I had to keep all 3 of our original times.
So, we finally get to MK (yay!!) and the guest services line is like a mile long. There's no way we would make our 1st FP if we waited. So we had to risk it, and enter the park.

Gorgeous!!
IMG_9218.JPG

I had a plan to surprise Sage the first time she saw Cinderella's castle. So Nick went in a little ahead of us, I carried Sage, covering her eyes. Once we were on Main St, I uncovered eyes to reveal the castle. Nick took a video so here is a screen grab from it
photo 3.JPG

Awesome right? We were jumping up and down screaming, we're here, we're here! We finally made it!!!! It was all so surreal. The entire trip was actually. I had literally been planning this trip, financially, in my mind, on paper, for five years. It was so strange that it was actually HERE. If that makes sense :)
I'll add more in a little bit!

Last edited:

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Hi everyone! Merry Christmas Eve!! Thank you all for following along, I'm hoping to add a little more today before the cleaning/prep work/ craziness of the day!
Sudacaro- you will love the Disney Jr Breakfast! If possible, ask to sit towards the center of the restaurant. You'll be close to the aisle where they do they do the dance parties and your kids will see the characters much more as they are walking around. If you are in the back or in a corner, you might not have as good of a view or as many chances for character interaction. Just a thought :) The food is great too!
Courtney- is your birthday 6/6/82? Cause that's my birthday!!

Tuesday 12/2: Day 4
This was Magic Kingdom day two of three. Our first day we accomplished Liberty Square and Frontierland. The plan for this day was to do all of Fantasyland and then save Adventureland, Tomorrowland and Storybook Circus for our 3rd day (we also had our Anna and Elsa FP for our 3rd day, the only day we could get it for our trip)
We also planned on seeing the castle lighting on this day so since we had an early an ADR, the plan was to stay in the park til about noon, head back, take a nap, and then go back to the park that night.
Our ADR was at Cinderella's Royal Table at 8:15am. I went back and forth several times before I decided to book this ADR. There were basically two pros to this breakfast- the first was that Sage could meet a bunch of princesses at one time. Before we came, we didn't know how she would handle waiting in line. We knew she would want to meet all the princesses so being able to cross 4 or 5 off the list without waiting in line was a huge draw. The 2nd pro was that if we could get a pre-park opening ADR, we could get some pictures on a near empty Main St. This has always been a dream of mine. To walk down Main St, crowd free, take beautiful pictures. Especially with the Christmas decorations.
There was only one con- the price. Holy cow the price. You have to pre pay for this breakfast when you book so I booked it and paid for it without telling Nick how much it was. He still doesn't know. And I plan on keeping it that way.
So anyways, I was so excited back in June to get an 8:15 ADR when the park opened at 9. Not only could I get my gorgeous pictures but we wouldn't miss the first hour of the day, which always has the lowest crowds.
Or so I thought. A week before we left, park hours changed and for all of December, the MK was scheduled to open at 8am. I was so bummed. Not only was there a chance we wouldn't be let in before park opening, but now, we were going to be spending the best hour of the day sitting in a restaurant. I was not happy. I thought about cancelling but Sage knew about the breakfast and was excited for it. So we stuck with the plan!

We got to MK around 7:30 and all breakfast ADR people were lined up together. We were maybe 20 families back. Just like the day before, at about 7:45, we were all let in at once. Since there are 2 restaurants that have breakfast ADRs, it was pretty crowded on Main St. To add to my stress and anxiety, Sage was being a stinker and refusing to pose for a nice picture. She kept doing silly poses and sticking her tongue out. We stopped on the sidewalk for a bit to talk to her and try to convince her to take some nice pictures. The massive crowd thinned a bit while we were doing this so here are the best pictures I got:
IMG_9609.JPG
IMG_9612.JPG

Not exactly what I was hoping for but not bad. I didn't even bother asking someone to take a family photo. I knew Sage wouldn't cooperate. I've seen so many cute pictures online of families standing on Main St. with no people in the background. I don't know how they do it!
When we got to end of Main St there was a photopass photographer so we did stop there for a family picture.
IMG_9614.JPG

The photo upload feature isn't working right now :( I keep getting an error message. So I will try again in a few minutes!

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Alright picking up where I left off, a few pictures of the castle:
IMG_9616.JPG
IMG_9617.JPG

We then checked in at CRT. We had to wait in line in the lobby for a bit then at about 8:05, Cinderella came in and each family had their picture taken with her. The lobby was very nicely decorated for Christmas however, the Cinderella was not that great. They rush you through there pretty quickly too. You get a photo package with a couple prints but the picture we got was not very good. This one is from my camera and it came out much better than the photopass one. So that was disappointing.
IMG_9620.JPG

We then went upstairs to the restaurant and were brought right to our table. We were given our menus and our drink order was taken. The server came back a minute later ready to take our order. There are maybe 4 or 5 adult choices but only 2 kid choices. And both the kid choices had eggs. It was either a vegetable fritatta or a platter that had scrambled eggs, sausage and 2 french toast sticks. Sage does not like eggs and she kept asking for Mickey waffles like she had at Hollywood and Vine the day before. We asked our server if they had waffles or even pancakes but he said no, just the platter with the french toast sticks. So Sage got that, Nick got the adult platter (I think eggs, bacon, sausage and homefries?) and I got stuffed french toast. Thankfully, when our server realized Sage was only eating the french toast sticks, he brought her out a plate with a few more.
After we ordered, we were brought out a plate of danish and mini muffins. Then we heard a muffled voice over the speaker system but we had no clue what they were saying. It was so loud in there! A second later, Snow White walked out so I think they were announcing her. Sage was chomping on a pastry when Snow White came to our table. We were frantically trying to wipe her mouth and dress and get her to smile with her mouth full of food. Snow leaned in for a photo, quickly signed her book and started to breeze on to the next table.
IMG_9623.JPG

I quickly asked Snow White if I could get a photo too because she is my favorite
IMG_9624.JPG

Then our breakfast came out. The muffled announcing continued over the speaker but we couldn't hear anything over the roar of the restaurant. The princess parade continued quickly, one after the other. They would zoom over to our table, we'd wipe the syrup off Sage's face, have her autograph book open and ready, they'd smile and sign and zoom away. Nick and I didn't even really get a chance to eat our food til they had all made the rounds.
IMG_9627.JPG
IMG_9630.JPG
IMG_9633.JPG

Nick and I ate our lukewarm food and Sage ate her $35 french toast sticks. We got our stinky looking pictures. We heard a muffled voice again say something about the magic wand the kids all got. I had no idea what it was saying though. Hold it up and make a wish? I don't know, something like that. Quick Sage, do it!
IMG_9636.JPG

Our server then started clearing our table and telling us to have a nice day which was a polite way of saying get the heck out so we can seat the next party.

I would describe Cinderella's Royal Table as a once in a lifetime experience. It was nice to do once to see the inside of the castle. But I would never, ever do it again. Too expensive, too rushed, too hectic, and the food was only average. Total opposite of the Disney Jr breakfast. At least at the Disney Jr breakfast, not only do the characters come to your table but they have the little dance parties and they interact with the kids the whole hour or so you are there. The princesses here literally breezed passed us and we never saw them again. And, at Hollywood and Vine its a buffet so you get more food for your money. Plus there was so much more that Sage liked. I'm glad we did CRT once because I've always wondered what it would it be like but we will most definitely never be doing it again.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
We left the restaurant and we saw a meet and greet with the Tremain family. We went over to get in line but a CM told us they were leaving (obviously). So we started walking towards our 1st FP, the new Ariel ride!
As we were passing Princess Fairytale Hall, I noticed the Rapunzel meet and greet had a 15 minute wait posted. We had a FP to meet her later on in the day in at 11:30 but when I made the FPs, I had been hoping for an earlier time but that was all I could get. I knew Sage would be wearing her dress to breakfast and I wasn't sure if she would make it in the dress all the way til 11:30, so when we saw the short line, we hopped in.
A few pictures from the queue
IMG_9641.JPG
IMG_9642.JPG

And a few minute later- Rapunzel!!! One of Sage's favorites :)
IMG_9643.JPG
IMG_9649.JPG
IMG_9650.JPG

Just like Merida, Rapunzel didn't exist yet the last time we were in Disney so I was excited to meet her too!
Then we met Cinderalla again and thankfully Sage didn't notice she looked a little different. Sage told her we just saw her at breakfast.
IMG_9656.JPG
IMG_9657.JPG

Then we went over to New Fantasyland- also brand new to me! It is all so so beautiful! I was so impressed. I wished I could have walked around and taken it all in a little more but not with a 3 year old! Next time I guess!

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Next, of course, we had to meet Mermaid Ariel!!
Sage kept hugging her saying, you're my favorite!!
IMG_9678.JPG

IMG_9681.JPG

When we were getting ready to leave, Sage saw this little treasure chest next to Ariel. She opened it up and Ariel said, oh those are all my thingamabobs. Sage picked up a fork and said, and look- a dingle hopper! They were both laughing, it was so cute!
I have to end here for today, sorry I'm moving so slowly with this! Its just such a crazy time right now :) I'll try to add more tomorrow!!

stevehousse

Loving your report! So glad to see someone else on here enjoy Hollywood and Vine! It gets a lot of flack on this site, but we loved it when we went last year! We have it booked again for May. We are also gonna do the Jedi Mickey Star Wars dinner there too!

We are doing CRT for the first time ever for breakfast! Your experience has me worried a bit. We are using the dining plan so I'm not too worried as its a steal for a 2 credit restaurant! I am excited to finally get to go into the castle all these years though!

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Stevehousse- how old are your kids? We were very stressed at CRT because Sage is still a bit of a messy eater :) She would have syrup dripping down her face and the princesses would be trying to hurry us along to take her picture so they could move on to the next kid. It's very loud in there and very rushed. We liked Hollywood & Vine because she met all the characters first, then we went up to get our food. Much easier and much neater :) Just try to take your time as much as they will let you. If you can, tell your server you aren't ready to order. Maybe they will let you wait to order until the princesses have gone through. Like I said, it was a a once in a lifetime experience for us. I'm glad we did it. But the only way I would do it again is maybe if we had free dining and if I had a kid who simply couldn't live without going there :D

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
After meeting Ariel, we had some time until our next FP window started. So we went over to the Mad Tea Party. Sage loved this ride and wanted to ride twice in a row. Thankfully, the line was short. We actually wait 3 times because one time she didn't get the color teacup she wanted so we had to exit and go get back in line. True story.
IMG_9684.JPG
IMG_9685.JPG

Teacup selfie!
And as you can see, she already changed out of her Rapunzel dress, just as I thought :)

It was then time for our Seven Dwarfs FP! We scanned our bans at the first check in point, got part way through the queue, and Sage said she had to go potty. Thankfully, since we hadn't scanned them the 2nd time at the end of the queue, they said we could exit and come back. So we went over to the potty by Gaston's Tavern
IMG_9683.JPG

As we were leaving the area, Gaston was coming out. There was a line of people waiting for him. He walked out from back stage and in his loud booming voice said, never fear, Gaston is here! Your day is now complete! He was so funny, and so perfectly in character. We could hear him talking to the crowd the entire time we were walking away. Beauty and the Beast is one of the few princess movies Sage isn't really into yet so she had no interest in meeting Gaston. We also never saw the Enchanted Tales with Belle show. Too bad, I would have liked to do both!
So we went back over to the Mine Train.
IMG_9686.JPG

What a great ride! Definitely a kids coaster, somewhere between the Barnstormer and Thunder Mountain. I loved the indoor part. I wouldn't wait more the 15 or 20 minutes for it but its great for kids. Nicely done, beautifully finished. Very smooth ride. Overall, I am in love with New Fantasyland!

Next up, the carousel! Just like the teacups, we basically walked right on. Sage loved it! It was crowded so Nick and I didn't get horses so we just had to stand next to her.
IMG_9687.JPG
IMG_9688.JPG

After the carousel, we went over to Small World. After a quick ten minute wait or so, we were on our way to the happiest cruise ever sailed!
Yeah so Sage became obsessed with Small World! She loved all the dancing dolls. The second we got off, she insisted we go back on. So Small World, twice in row. woo hoo!
IMG_9690.JPG

Its hard to take pictures on Small World because its so dark and my pictures always come out blurry with any movement when not using the flash. I got a few in the room at the end though that came out pretty good
IMG_9691.JPG
IMG_9692.JPG

stevehousse

My kids are now 6, 3 1/2, and 2 1/2 months old (she'll be 7 months when we go) they love Disney and we have been fortunate to be able to go just about every year. My kids love to eat out at Disney!

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
stevehousse- aww! great ages for Disney and CRT :) They will love it! Sage loved it and still talks about it. That's what matters right? :)

After riding Small World twice, we went over to the Pooh ride. After we had met Rapunzel that morning, I changed our 3rd FP to this ride instead. Sage's choice, I had suggested the Peter Pan ride but she had no interest in riding Pan. Just as well I guess, the wait is always crazy long there!
So we get over to Pooh and they tell us that there has been a big honey spill and the ride had to close down. Sage is bummed, as are we because this was our last stop before heading back to the hotel. We start walking back towards a store Sage saw earlier and wanted to go in, its in Fantasyland, I forget what its called but its alllll princess stuff :)
She desperately just had to have this Ariel doll that she absolutely fell in love with. As we are exiting the store, we see Suzy and Pearla (I think thats their names, the mice from Cinderella) Sage wants to meet them so we go to get in line and the CM says, sorry they're leaving. See! I told you! Literally every single time. However, the Tremains will be back out in 10 minutes. So we decide to wait for them. We are 2nd in line behind a young man by himself.
A few minutes later, the Tremains came out. OMG SO SO FUNNY!!!! They were amazing!! They spent quite a bit of time talking to the guy in front of us. Maybe they knew each other. The photopass kept politely asking him to leave and they just kept talking. As they were talking, there was a family sitting on the steps of the castle next to them. A mom, a dad, and two little boys, maybe 3 and 5. There was a fence around the castle where they were sitting and one of the little boys kept sticking his head through the fence. The dad kept telling him to cut it out. So Anastasia sees this happening and sneaks over to them. She says to the little boy- go ahead, sneak through! You can do it! You can fit through, go ahead! The dad keeps saying no but you can tell they are very amused. Drizella sees this happening and starts chanting Castle Takeover! Castle Takeover! Now both the stepsisters are chanting, and the stepmother calls them back over. As the stepsisters are walking back over to the meet and greet area, the little boy goes through the fence!! The stepsisters start cheering and the mom is freaking out, telling her son to get out. Anastasia turns her back to the family, and does a thumbs up behind her back and whispers, Secret thumbs up! The whole interaction was so funny and we were cracking up.
So eventually, the guy in front of us leaves and its our turn. Sage is a little freaked out by the Tremains, they are very loud and in your face, so she didn't want to meet them. So I went up alone, they were very nice and very fun and kept trying to talk nicely to Sage and get her to come over but she didn't want to. They don't really pose for photos, just chit chat. Here are a few pics of our interaction
IMG_9697.JPG
IMG_9700.JPG

Before leaving, we go back over to Pooh and thankfully, its back up and running!
IMG_9694.JPG

Sage loved the Pooh ride!! Super cute!
We then decided to head out, I think it was 12:30ish. We accomplished quite a bit in Fantasyland, basically everything except Pan which Sage didn't want to do, Mickey's Philharmagic, which we thought might spook her (she hates loud noises) and Enchanted Tales with Belle, which she wasn't interested in. So not bad at all for a 3 1/2 hours! As we were heading out, we had to stop at the end of Main St as the little dance parade was heading through
IMG_9701.JPG

We went back to Pop, had some pb & j's for lunch, and then Sage took a nap. Thankfully, she actually fell asleep! She needed it!

acrab3t

Stevehousse- how old are your kids? We were very stressed at CRT because Sage is still a bit of a messy eater :) She would have syrup dripping down her face and the princesses would be trying to hurry us along to take her picture so they could move on to the next kid. It's very loud in there and very rushed. We liked Hollywood & Vine because she met all the characters first, then we went up to get our food. Much easier and much neater :) Just try to take your time as much as they will let you. If you can, tell your server you aren't ready to order. Maybe they will let you wait to order until the princesses have gone through. Like I said, it was a a once in a lifetime experience for us. I'm glad we did it. But the only way I would do it again is maybe if we had free dining and if I had a kid who simply couldn't live without going there :D
Have you ever been to Akershus in EPCOT? You get a photo with Belle instead of Cinderella. The other Princesses that visit are Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, and Ariel. My DH booked this for our last trip. I wanted CRT but my DH said no way was he using 2 of our dining credits for a plate of bacon and eggs. I just want to see the inside of the castle so that's how I would justify the expense. We also don't have a DD, just a DS who was 12 at the time. We all enjoyed Akershus. We didn't feel rushed and the kids get to parade with the princesses. We had plenty of time to interact with each one and they were all very sweet. My DS was entranced by Ariel. My DH wants to book there again for our next trip because he enjoyed the food. I am not sure if they are getting updated with the new Frozen theme in Norway.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Have you ever been to Akershus in EPCOT? You get a photo with Belle instead of Cinderella. The other Princesses that visit are Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, and Ariel. My DH booked this for our last trip. I wanted CRT but my DH said no way was he using 2 of our dining credits for a plate of bacon and eggs. I just want to see the inside of the castle so that's how I would justify the expense. We also don't have a DD, just a DS who was 12 at the time. We all enjoyed Akershus. We didn't feel rushed and the kids get to parade with the princesses. We had plenty of time to interact with each one and they were all very sweet. My DS was entranced by Ariel. My DH wants to book there again for our next trip because he enjoyed the food. I am not sure if they are getting updated with the new Frozen theme in Norway.

Yes we have! My husband and I ate there for lunch back in 2009 before my daughter was born (yes, just the two of us went to a princess lunch :) ) We really enjoyed it. The food was delicious. Just like CRT, I remember feeling a little rushed, but only when it came to the food. I remember going up to the cold salad bar and before we could even take a bite, they brought out our entrees. I do however remember the princesses spending lots of time at each table. I have vivid memories of Ariel sitting down on the floor with the little girl at the table next to us and talking to her forever. Very sweet. I do not remember the character parade. Maybe they didn't do it then? Or maybe I just don't remember since I didn't participate. Eating at CRT was chosen this time over Akershus solely for eating in the castle and getting empty Main St. pics. I agree though, next time, Akershus all the way :)

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
So after Sage's nap we went back to MK. As we were walking in,the dance parade was coming by again! Just like when we were leaving before :)
IMG_9703.JPG
IMG_9706.JPG
IMG_9710.JPG

We were hoping to maybe do a quick ride before setting up camp to see the castle lighting but Main St. and the hub were already so so crowded. We didn't realize it, but after this parade, there was a Dream Along With Mickey show, then the castle lighting. So I'm sure many people were camping out to see all 3.
We walked around the hub, looking for a good spot, and Nick thought we should stand in front of the railings that go around the bushes/shrubs. He knew Sage would want to go up on his shoulders to see the show so he knew if we stood there, we wouldn't be blocking anyone. Nick stayed in our spot, with the stroller to save our places, and Sage and I walked back down Main St looking for pressed pennies. The castle lighting was at 6:15 and a few minutes after Sage and I left, Nick called me to say it was starting. It was like 5:30 I think. That's when I realized they were doing Dream Along With Mickey. Too bad I didn't realize it ahead of time, Sage probably would have liked it.
We finished up our pennies, bought some peppermint bark, and headed back to our spot. A few pictures at the beginning of Main St-
IMG_9712.JPG
IMG_9713.JPG

We caught the last minute or two of the show.
After Dream Along With Mickey, a CM started roping off an area next to us for wheelchair use during the castle lighting. The girls standing next to us were asked to move and find a new spot. I asked the CM if we were ok and she said we were perfect where we were. Good thing! It was packed, there's no way we would have found another spot. We actually ended up with a great view. The roped off area was to our left and a little in front of us so we had very few heads in our way. I felt so bad for the CM working this area. The entrance to the area was way over on the other side and so many families kept coming up to her asking if they could go in on this side. She would tell them the entrance was on the other side and they would fight with her saying it was way too crowded to fight their way over there and could she just let them in there. One family insisted that another CM told them this was the entrance and they refused to go to the other side. Poor girl! She was very sweet to everyone though.
So anyways, Sage sat in the stroller and played with some of the little toys/crafts we had packed for her and finally at 6:15, it was showtime!!!

I knew all about this Frozen themed show and even though it was very nicely done, I still think its odd Cinderella isn't even present for the freezing of her castle. I think it would have been neat to involve her somehow. Maybe she's having a holiday ball and wants the castle frozen and calls upon Elsa. Anyways, Sage was out of control excited all during the show. She was up on Nick's shoulders shaking with excitement. He actually asked her if she was cold and she said no, I'm so excited!
IMG_9728.JPG
IMG_9729.JPG
IMG_9732.JPG

Last edited:

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
And finally- a frozen castle!!!
IMG_9740.JPG
IMG_9741.JPG
IMG_9743.JPG
IMG_9744.JPG
IMG_9745.JPG
IMG_9747.JPG

Isn't it just gorgeous? It was so amazing seeing it light up in person. A dream come true! Sage was amazed and still to this day thinks it was covered in real ice. This is also where her Frozen obsession hit its peak. She is convinced she helped Elsa freeze the castle. For the rest of the trip all we heard about was how she has magical icy powers like Elsa. She told so many strangers about how she helped freeze the castle. And every character we met from here on out, she had to teach them how to do a freezing pose :)
So I really wanted to get a nice family picture. I was hoping to use it for our Christmas card. But the hub was absolute chaos. It was a party night so a lot of people like us, were trying to exit while a whole bunch of others were trying to enter. I really loved the spot over on the side of the castle near Liberty Square where we got a picture the first day so I really wanted to head over there. It wasn't 7 yet so I knew we had time.
However, IMPOSSIBLE.
We stood in the same spot in the hub for a good 5 minutes without moving. The crowd was just stuck. We were definitely trying to walk against the flow of people and it just wasn't working. Eventually, a CM told everyone in our area to turn around and walk back towards Main St. So that was disappointing. On our way down Main St. we looked for a photopass person but there were none anywhere. I'm sure on purpose so non party people would get the heck out. So we never did get our family picture! After that, we went back to Pop, had dinner in the food court, and called it a night!
Oh I forgot this part, on our way to MK earlier the bus was packed with people heading to the party. There was a family with 2 little girls and they were dressed as Anna and Elsa. However, their costumes were clearly homemade and they were ADORABLE. They were dressed as little Anna and Elsa, like when they sing Do You Wanna Build A Snowman. I can't even begin to tell you how many A&E costumes we saw throughout the week but these specific ones were the ONLY ones we saw all week. So so adorable and so unique. Good job random mom!!!

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Wednesday 12/3: Day 5
This was our Epcot day! We had a lunch reservation/ticket combo for the 5pm Candlelight Processional. Since we needed Sage to make it til at least then, we decided to start our day a little later. We got to Epcot at about 9:45.
IMG_9754.JPG

Sage really wanted to take of picture of Nick and I in front of the little Thumper and Flower. She did pretty good!
IMG_9758.JPG

Fountain pic!
IMG_9761.JPG

We made our way over towards The Seas
IMG_9766.JPG

IMG_9768.JPG

Our first stop was the Nemo ride. I really love this ride! I love the mix of animation and real fish. I love the music. And I love that it never has a wait!
We poked through the aquarium section a little (Sage found Nemo!) and then went over to Turtle Talk with Crush
IMG_9770.JPG

Turtle Talk was actually our first FP but again, since we got there right before show time, it really served no purpose. The theater was almost full, Sage and I squeezed in on the floor and Nick went and stood in the back.
The show was great! We had a great Crush. The show felt a little slow moving in parts and Sage started to lose interest by the end. Maybe not quite at a 3 year old pace. Still great though. We enjoyed it!
Surprisingly, Sage wanted to leave the Seas after that. We've been to the aquarium a few times and usually she can walk around and look at the fish forever. Apparently not today though! So we then left and walked towards The Land!
We had some time til our Soarin' FP so our first stop was Living With the Land. I really love this ride, and I loved all the little Christmas decorations mixed in!
IMG_9775.JPG
IMG_9776.JPG

Mickey lettuce!
IMG_9778.JPG

Rosemary Christmas Tree!
IMG_9780.JPG

We then went over to Soarin', our 2nd FP. Sage was nervous, again, but thankfully this time, she LOVED it!!! She loved that you could smell the oranges, and the forest, and she loved flying over Disney at the end. This was definitely a highlight of the trip for us. As fun as it is riding Small World over and over, it was nice to finally enjoy a big ride all together :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Completely agree with you about including Cinderella in the castle-lighting ceremony. We have seen the Cinderella version of the castle lighting ceremony for the past few years, and were curious to see the Frozen changes. It was so disappointing to see the new show without even a mention of Cinderella ~ perhaps Elsa could have at least said, "Cinderella has given us permission" or something similar.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
After Soarin', we were walking by the character spot and the wait was only 15 minutes so we decided to go meet some characters!
I didn't realize it til later on that night, but I had my camera on the wrong setting all day. I had switched my camera to night time the night before when I was taking pictures of the castle and apparently, I forgot to switch it back that morning :( A lot of my indoor pictures, like the ones here in the Character Spot, came out blurry. I was so sad! And, when we got home I went online to see how our photopass pictures came out in here and it was the wrong family! So that was disappointing. Anyway, these are the best I got of each character-
IMG_9789.JPG
IMG_9796.JPG
IMG_9803.JPG

Sage asked Goofy to do the hot dog dance with her and they danced around for a bit. It was cute!

We then started walking over towards Test Track. Before our trip, there was a day where the FP system was experiencing a temporary glitch. The tiers were suddenly gone and you could book any 3 you wanted. It was only for a few hours but thankfully, I was able to take advantage of it. So our 3rd FP was for Test Track.
Once again, Sage was nervous. Hearing the race car while we were outside was freaking her out. We went all through the queue though, designed our car, and she seemed ok. Literally, as we were stepping into our car, she says she has to go potty. I ask the CM if there is someplace I can bring her quick and she says no, you have to exit and go outside. I tell Sage to wait until after the ride but she starts freaking out, saying she really has to go. So I pick her up and RUN down a few flights of stairs, through the gift shop, outside, across the plaza, past a few buildings, and into the bathroom. I was running, carrying a 40 pound kid. It was exhausting. And after all that, she didn't go. To this day we still don't know if she really thought she had to go or if she just didn't want to ride Test Track.
So after being so excited to take advantage of that system glitch, we didn't even get to ride Test Track. The wait time was like 60 minutes so we knew that was our one and only chance. We thought maybe later we could try to use single rider later if we had the chance.
We couldn't do it then though because it was almost 1pm and we had an ADR at Biergarten! We got there pretty much right at 1pm, and a few minutes later our buzzer went off. But apparently, the other family we were sitting with wasn't there yet so we had to wait in the lobby area. It was pretty annoying actually, I don't know why they couldn't have let us in. We ended up waiting for another 10 minutes or so.
IMG_9807.JPG
IMG_9808.JPG

So finally the other family arrives and we all go in. Our table is right down in front of the stage. The band was playing and even though they were really good, holy cow it was soooo loud in there! We had no idea what our server was saying. We couldn't talk to each other at all. Finally, at about 1:30, the band stopped. They started playing again at about 2 so we had about a half hour to actually talk and enjoy each other's company. The other family with us was very nice, a mom and dad and 3 girls, maybe in the 11-16 years range.
Even though its incredibly loud (like don't even bother trying to talk to each other), the restaurant is beautiful inside. It looks like you are outside, enjoying an Octoberfest celebration. The music is wonderful, just LOUD.
The food for adults is awesome- its buffet style and there were so many delicious choices. Different kinds of sausages and carved meats, a cold salad bar with all different veggies and potato salads, plus a hot section with more veggies and potatoes. Nick and I filled our plates and were really impressed with the quality and flavor of the food.
However, be warned, there are no children's choices at all! When we got to the end of the buffet, all Sage had on her plate was a roll. I asked a CM if there were children's choices and he said no, but that kids usually like the roasted chicken and the potato and pasta gratin. So I scooped Sage some of the potato and pasta and told her it was mac and cheese. They also had a platter with sliced cheese and crackers and I gave her a few pieces of cheese. So that was her $20 something lunch. A roll, some "mac & cheese" and 2 pieces of cheese. Ridiculous. How do you not have choices for kids?

Dessert was not as good as the meal itself. They had little shot sized cups of blackforest cake, cookies, and an apple strudel. That was it. We let Sage eat all the cookies she wanted just to get our money's worth!
Our only other complaint was that our server was terrible. We saw her when we sat down (although we couldn't hear her), she brought our drinks and then we never saw her again. She never even checked on us throughout the meal. The next time we saw her was when she brought our check.
I would go back to Biergarten in the future, because the food was delicious however, I don't think it is a good place for small children. And I would not do the Candlelight package here, it just made the meal too expensive and not worth the price. Normal lunch prices seem fair. Here are all my pictures from our meal:
IMG_9809.JPG

IMG_9810.JPG
IMG_9812.JPG
IMG_9813.JPG
IMG_9814.JPG

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
After lunch, we really wanted Sage to meet Santa. We have a little display in our house of Sage's Santa photos throughout the years that we take out a Christmas every year. So instead of a mall Santa this year we of course needed to meet Santa in Disney!
I had brought a dress for her to wear so we went into the bathroom to change. We checked the Santa times and he wasn't coming back til 3:30. So first, we went over to meet Snow White!
A lot of pictures, but these are some of my favorite from our trip!
IMG_9819.JPG
IMG_9820.JPG
IMG_9823.JPG
IMG_9824.JPG
IMG_9827.JPG
IMG_9828.JPG

Don't mind the sneakers! haha!

So after meeting Snow, it was almost 3 so we decided to just go get in line for Santa. We were the first ones there. Nick got in line and Sage and I went off to find some pennies!
We went back to the line at about 3:20. Sage was so so excited to be first! She kept saying, I get to meet Santa first! I get to be the first kid to meet Santa!!
So at 3:30, Santa comes out from backstage and starts walking towards the meet and greet area. He walks past the little Kidcot station (I think thats what they're called) and a bunch of kids are there coloring. He hugs them and pats them on the head and what not. He then takes a little girl by the hand and brings her up the meet and greet area. She sits with him, her family comes over, and they start taking pictures. Sage looks at us, with the saddest eyes and says, Mom, I was supposed to be first! How come I'm not first? She was so sad. It was heartbreaking. I was so worried it was going to ruin her Santa experience but thankfully, once the little girl left, she happily ran up to take her turn.
This was without question, the worst Santa we have ever met. He didn't even talk to her. We are used to mall Santa's who ask you what you want, ask you if you've been good, etc. Last year our mall Santa talked to Sage about our elf and even guessed that she wanted some Doc McStuffins toys. This Santa- nothing. Sit, pose, smile, wave good bye. Miss Claus was the same. Didn't say one word. I held up Sage's autograph book and asked him to sign and he shook his head no and waved me away with his hand. The whole experience was so disappointing and so frustrating. At least we got a good picture.
IMG_9838.JPG
IMG_9840.JPG

LisaBelle

Poor Sage! I would have been heartbroken, too! Sorry that her Disney Santa experience wasn't as happy as it could have been. Love the Snow White pictures! Looks like she had a wonderful time with her. Enjoying your report and looking forward to more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom