Rumor - Possible ticket price increases coming this Sunday (2/28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Virtually every company reaches a point where their customers question the value of the products, or services, and look around for more bang for their buck.
A good example is Colt Patent Firearms.
For decades they cruised along on their brand name without giving a rats behind for innovations or competitive pricing.
Now they're digging themselves out of a bankruptcy pit and are having to come up with new (to them) methods of marketing their products.
Apple is headed down the same trail since Mr. Jobs passed and will also nave to reinvent their marketing instead of relying of the name alone to keep them afloat.
Disney is making the same mistakes and will likely go through the same trauma unless Mr. Iger, et al, wake up to the realties of life in America today and start giving their customers a fair return on their vacation investments.

Another example was Bethlehem Steel, Thought that they were invincible became addicted to short term profits (which were YUUGE at the time) and did not invest in plant and equipment. Along came the minimills (NUCOR etc) and Chinese imports and they did not have the cash or access to capital to upgrade and compete.

Now what's left belongs to Arcelor/Mittal. As I've said many times the TWDC businesses are generally sound, But TWDC itself is riding for a fall and it;s just a matter of when. Yes the Disney parks will still exist but they will belong to someone else.

epeterson

Disney's marketing is genius. Convince everyone Disney World is the most magical place on earth, and then spend nearly 2 decades doing nothing but cutting attractions, employees, and services while raising prices year after year. If I did as little for my customers as Disney World did I would have no business by now.

Universal Studios in August is gonna be awesome. The new Kong ride looks amazing and a refurbished Hulk? In one year they've done more than Disney has done in a decade.

No Name

Maybe there is something big coming on Monday to make us all forget to complain about the price increase. It seems like last week, with the distraction of some announcements and sneak peaks of future offerings, would've been a good time to soften the blow. Plus they decided not to announce it alongside Universal, which typically gives it a "two wrongs equals a right" mentality in the news. So either we are hearing news on Monday or I'll be very confused.

But the big question is not when, but how much will the prices go up? I would not be surprised to see a larger than normal increase. People will say that these higher prices will deter people from visiting, but everyone says that every year and the total attendance or sales hasn't decreased yet. If these price increases continue at a greater rate than inflation, Disney (and Universal) will eventually reach a point where attendance decreases or does not rise as much as it should. I just hope when that happens, the path is clear for them to realize the wall they've hit and lessen each price increase from then on.

FigmentForver96

Disney's marketing is genius. Convince everyone Disney World is the most magical place on earth, and then spend nearly 2 decades doing nothing but cutting attractions, employees, and services while raising prices year after year. If I did as little for my customers as Disney World did I would have no business by now.

Universal Studios in August is gonna be awesome. The new Kong ride looks amazing and a refurbished Hulk? In one year they've done more than Disney has done in a decade.
You are being dramatic and it makes you look very foolish. Lets look at what Disney has done in ten years shall we?

Toy Story Midway Mania, Everest, New Fantasyland, updated Star Tours, updated Test Track, American Idol if we are naming attractions. And this year Frozen (All factors aside), Rivers of Light, and a new nighttime safari experience are all opening. I mean Disney has not being doing a lot by no means but dramatic posts like this are simply pointless.

epeterson

You are being dramatic and it makes you look very foolish. Lets look at what Disney has done in ten years shall we?

Toy Story Midway Mania, Everest, New Fantasyland, updated Star Tours, updated Test Track, American Idol if we are naming attractions. And this year Frozen (All factors aside), Rivers of Light, and a new nighttime safari experience are all opening. I mean Disney has not being doing a lot by no means but dramatic posts like this are simply pointless.

Toy Story Midway Mania - Have fun getting a reservation. And in the middle of a half destroyed park not worth the admission Disney charges.

Everest - Fun but broken.

New Fantasyland - Ariel ride is nothing interesting. Mine Train is not worth the wait times and was suppose to be bigger and more thematic. Rest is gift shops and a restaurant almost impossible to get reservations too.

Updated Star Tours and Test Track - Refurbishments aren't noteworthy. Something a company like Disney should be doing on a regular interval with its profits.

American Idol - Who even cares.

Frozen - You know

Rivers of Light and a new nighttime safari - Only things on this list I agree with you on.

Overall, nothing really noticeable has changed in any of the parks other than DAK, which isn't even that amazing in and of itself since the park was half completed when it was opened.

betty rose

They obviously haven't topped out, I haven't seen a single lifestyler give up their pass yet
We are on a fixed income, have been going since opening. Thanks Disney, great way to reward your loyal followers. I just hope this doesn't happen. We will be out after this year. Along with our kids, and grandkids. That's a total of 6 people, and the future generations.

JUFL2019

Toy Story Midway Mania - Have fun getting a reservation. And in the middle of a half destroyed park not worth the admission Disney charges.

Everest - Fun but broken.

New Fantasyland - Ariel ride is nothing interesting. Mine Train is not worth the wait times and was suppose to be bigger and more thematic. Rest is gift shops and a restaurant almost impossible to get reservations too.

Updated Star Tours and Test Track - Refurbishments aren't noteworthy. Something a company like Disney should be doing on a regular interval with its profits.

American Idol - Who even cares.

Frozen - You know

Rivers of Light and a new nighttime safari - Only things on this list I agree with you on.

Overall, nothing really noticeable has changed in any of the parks other than DAK, which isn't even that amazing in and of itself since the park was half completed when it was opened.
But that is all your opinion and is still directly in contradiction to the "Disney has done nothing mantra" you are trying so hard to push. Have they done enough? No. But saying they have done nothing is a big stretch.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I haven't got confirmation but I am seeing reports elsewhere of this coming to WDW as well

So depending on the time of year you visit the on property hotel pricing AND the tickets will cost more. Double hit (and isn't the dining plan like this as well?)

At what point will many people say ok enough is enough or they just can't afford it and won't go

Fishbait

But that is all your opinion and is still directly in contradiction to the "Disney has done nothing mantra" you are trying so hard to push. Have they done enough? No. But saying they have done nothing is a big stretch.

Sure they have done things. Hiked prices, made lines longer, removed attractions, removed shows, made way for more strollers, alienated their cast members, cut hours.....

My family loved WDW. It was our annual vacation. But things have changed and not for the better. We haven't been in the last two years and I know they don't miss my money. But I couldn't stomach paying more for the quality of product any longer. There are better places to spend my money. Places that value me as a guest, places that don't make me wait in line all day for an attraction two years past needed maintenance, get herded like cattle, and who aren't afraid to spend money to make money.

Disney won't miss me. But it's nothing but fool's gold now. They don't care about guests or making the place magical anymore. I never recommend going there to anyone anymore and never will. Not until things change.

Cesar R M

Toy Story Midway Mania, Everest, New Fantasyland, updated Star Tours, updated Test Track, American Idol if we are naming attractions. And this year Frozen (All factors aside), Rivers of Light,
Some of these are just basic updates dictated by much needed refurbs. and some of them were not good (see test track).
New Fantasyland real net attraction gain was 0 right? and agree, the only thing good in that list seems ROL and maybe Avatar.

epeterson

HS being half closed, Yeti broken, Mine Train half of what its suppose to be are all facts, not opinions. Sure yes, the American Idol experience being boring is just my opinion and slapping a coat of paint on Test Track/Star Tours might impress some people, but for a company that is making 2+ billion per year in pure profits off its parks, it is doing nothing.

Seriously, just go up the street and walk into Harry Potter world and you can see a company that actually tries.

asianway

Maybe there is something big coming on Monday to make us all forget to complain about the price increase. It seems like last week, with the distraction of some announcements and sneak peaks of future offerings, would've been a good time to soften the blow. Plus they decided not to announce it alongside Universal, which typically gives it a "two wrongs equals a right" mentality in the news. So either we are hearing news on Monday or I'll be very confused.

But the big question is not when, but how much will the prices go up? I would not be surprised to see a larger than normal increase. People will say that these higher prices will deter people from visiting, but everyone says that every year and the total attendance or sales hasn't decreased yet. If these price increases continue at a greater rate than inflation, Disney (and Universal) will eventually reach a point where attendance decreases or does not rise as much as it should. I just hope when that happens, the path is clear for them to realize the wall they've hit and lessen each price increase from then on.
Expect party dates and/or 24 hour party news to drop on Monday

beachlover4444

Rumor right now... I am hearing ticket price increases may be coming as soon as this Sunday 2/28

This change may introduce the difference in ticket pricing depending on the day or time of year (ex. Christmas/new years eve, weekends, food and wine, etc.) guess we'll see

Thanks for the heads up. we're going back in april so I got my tickets today. Was just there a couple of weeks ago and the hours being cut already started. They chopped 2 hours off some rides characters etc.

beachlover4444

HS being half closed, Yeti broken, Mine Train half of what its suppose to be are all facts, not opinions. Sure yes, the American Idol experience being boring is just my opinion and slapping a coat of paint on Test Track/Star Tours might impress some people, but for a company that is making 2+ billion per year in pure profits off its parks, it is doing nothing.

Seriously, just go up the street and walk into Harry Potter world and you can see a company that actually tries.
I have to agree I was at DHS 2 weeks ago and honestly if I wasnt there on a castmember freebie I would have been ticked. And once they take down NY Street and Lights Motor and shut that whole back area off literally 1/3 of the park is out of commission. I am thrilled for the Toy Story land and Star wars land but that park isnt worth the money. Seriously american idol give me a break like I wanna spend money to hear guests charaoke through some songs. I miss the original attractions like the sound stage and the other one next to it. I was at that park when it opened in 1989 and it's gone down hill. they think launch bay is an attraction, really??? what a joke

beachlover4444

My sister-in-law is planning to buy a 1 day park hopper ticket for tomorrow. She wants to do HS and MK. Can she buy the $97 HS ticket plus $25 park hopper option and still be able to get into MK? Or because she's going to MK is she required to pay the MK ticket price of $105?
when we were there 2 weeks ago they turned people away at MK because they had other park tickets..

note2001

I haven't got confirmation but I am seeing reports elsewhere of this coming to WDW as well

So depending on the time of year you visit the on property hotel pricing AND the tickets will cost more.

Once tiered pricing is implemented, it's never going away.

I'm curious how much thought goes into the ticketing strategy in regards to the IT development. There must be some, as it takes time to scope and spec out the details, add in coding, testing and finally training. But all I can envision is a group of Disney execs and bean counters spewing off ideas to make more money while they keep making spreadsheets and graphs to prove how much money can be made.

Seems silly, but if I were them I'd try to make the system simpler, not more complex. Reason is two fold: cost to maintain and adjust, and the user element. Tiers will complicate the system significantly as dates and prices shuffle about, and they need to keep a record of all passes sold and at what prices. As the system grows, so does the anxiety/frustration level of those who have to work with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom