Rumor - Possible ticket price increases coming this Sunday (2/28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FigmentForver96

Some of these are just basic updates dictated by much needed refurbs. and some of them were not good (see test track).
New Fantasyland real net attraction gain was 0 right? and agree, the only thing good in that list seems ROL and maybe Avatar.
I was making the point that Universal has not done more in a year than Disney in a decade.
Yea most of the stuff was crap def agree

epeterson

I have to agree I was at DHS 2 weeks ago and honestly if I wasnt there on a castmember freebie I would have been ticked. And once they take down NY Street and Lights Motor and shut that whole back area off literally 1/3 of the park is out of commission. I am thrilled for the Toy Story land and Star wars land but that park isnt worth the money. Seriously american idol give me a break like I wanna spend money to hear guests charaoke through some songs. I miss the original attractions like the sound stage and the other one next to it. I was at that park when it opened in 1989 and it's gone down hill. they think launch bay is an attraction, really??? what a joke

It was actually DHS on my last trip that finally made me realize how terrible WDW has become. South of Echo Lake is deserted, full of terrible outdated attractions, and when I went Sunset Boulevard was covered in teenagers and gymnastics teams doing their routines in the streets, so I didn't even try to ride Twilight Zone/Rock n Roll (they also were both 90+ minute waits, seeing as they are the only attractions there worth anything). Launch bay is not an attraction, but seeing as some disney fanatics think a gift shop is worth another trip its really not surprising to me the bar is so low.

I remember leaving DHS (I went Epcot - MK - DAK - DHS) and the next day going to Universal Studios for three days and it was heaven. Less crowds, more rides, better food, nicer staff. I rode the Harry Potter and Forbidden Journey ride 5+ times it was so good. I really just don't understand how Disney keeps its business.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
In the grand scheme of things for most visitors, those that travel a good distance to visit central Florida a 5% ticket price increase adds about $20/day for a family of four or $100 over a fairly typical five day stay. When added into travel, lodging and food it is a drop in the bucket overall.

$100 is a decent amount of cash but is still less than the savings I see for gasoline due to prices plummeting.

Prices are going to increase every year for virtually everything one purchases because costs also go up to provide services and materials.

Many of the same posters whining about price increases also whine about how busy the parks are too, I expect prices will co to i.e. To rise until attendance starts to flatten out or decline whether any of us like it or not.

To be clear I always hate price increases unless I see a direct value but I love a good raise in income, just trying to keep it 100.

FigmentForver96

Toy Story Midway Mania - Have fun getting a reservation. And in the middle of a half destroyed park not worth the admission Disney charges.

Everest - Fun but broken.

New Fantasyland - Ariel ride is nothing interesting. Mine Train is not worth the wait times and was suppose to be bigger and more thematic. Rest is gift shops and a restaurant almost impossible to get reservations too.

Updated Star Tours and Test Track - Refurbishments aren't noteworthy. Something a company like Disney should be doing on a regular interval with its profits.

American Idol - Who even cares.

Frozen - You know

Rivers of Light and a new nighttime safari - Only things on this list I agree with you on.

Overall, nothing really noticeable has changed in any of the parks other than DAK, which isn't even that amazing in and of itself since the park was half completed when it was opened.
Nope but that isn't what you said now was it? You said Universal has done more in one year then Disney had in a decade. You were wrong.

epeterson

Nope but that isn't what you said now was it? You said Universal has done more in one year then Disney had in a decade. You were wrong.

Actually I would still argue that Universal has done more in a year, I never changed my argument. And I'm not wrong, although I can see how in some ways its a matter of opinion. If people think that half baked attractions, dance parties, refurbishments of old rides, or shows to cover up the lack of rides constitutes improvement in parks that were themselves half finished, or required demolishing perfectly fine rides, then thats their opinion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, assuming tiered pricing comes in because we all know the company isn't making enough profit.

Does one also assume the quietest times will see a price cut as well as the busiest times seeing the price rise?

FigmentForver96

So, assuming tiered pricing comes in because we all know the company isn't making enough profit.

Does one also assume the quietest times will see a price cut as well as the busiest times seeing the price rise?
That would be fantastic although I fill like the "now" prices are going to be the base prices.

RonnieHare

Disney's marketing is genius. Convince everyone Disney World is the most magical place on earth, and then spend nearly 2 decades doing nothing but cutting attractions, employees, and services while raising prices year after year. If I did as little for my customers as Disney World did I would have no business by now.

Universal Studios in August is gonna be awesome. The new Kong ride looks amazing and a refurbished Hulk? In one year they've done more than Disney has done in a decade.

VERY TRUE.

Jon81uk

I have to agree I was at DHS 2 weeks ago and honestly if I wasnt there on a castmember freebie I would have been ticked. And once they take down NY Street and Lights Motor and shut that whole b

Other than backlot tour what did you find was actually closed and not replaced at DHS? Currently BLT is the only closed attraction.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Wondering how this will affect foreign tourists that typically get length of stay passes for 2-3 weeks. If your vacation falls over some different price brackets how will they adjust that ?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
currently a 14 day ultimate ticket for 2 persons from the UK is 666.73 gbp . so it works out to about 23/24 pounds per day for our tickets.

RonnieHare

I have to agree I was at DHS 2 weeks ago and honestly if I wasnt there on a castmember freebie I would have been ticked. And once they take down NY Street and Lights Motor and shut that whole back area off literally 1/3 of the park is out of commission. I am thrilled for the Toy Story land and Star wars land but that park isnt worth the money. Seriously american idol give me a break like I wanna spend money to hear guests charaoke through some songs. I miss the original attractions like the sound stage and the other one next to it. I was at that park when it opened in 1989 and it's gone down hill. they think launch bay is an attraction, really??? what a joke

And the worst part of it all,
Other than backlot tour what did you find was actually closed and not replaced at DHS? Currently BLT is the only closed attraction.

Plenty.

Journey into Narnia, Sounds Dangerous, Backlot Tour, Osbourne Lights, American Idol experience, Legend Of Jack Sparrow, Magic Of Disney Animnation, plenty more - now Lights Action Motor Show (which i believe is going to save money), and Shrunk playset, - perhaps can justify they last two. Some replaced, but most not.

They key just isn't what has closed - but just a complete lack of anything new. No e-ticket attractions. And apart from TSMM there hasn't even been small updated, nothing, been zilch.

Truly have let the park rot.

Jon81uk

Journey into Narnia, Sounds Dangerous, Backlot Tour, Osbourne Lights, American Idol experience, Legend Of Jack Sparrow, Magic Of Disney Animnation, plenty more - now Lights Action Motor Show (which i believe is going to save money), and Shrunk playset, - perhaps can justify they last two. Some replaced, but most not.

I said closed AND not replaced.
Sounds dangerous closed over five years ago and has been used for movie previews, currently Star Wars.
Backlot tour closed 18 months ago.
Journey into Narmia was temporary to promote the film and replaced with Legend of Jack Sparrow. LoJS got such poor guest feedback they were better off with it closed, it currently has the Mickey meet. That soundstage has only been used for temporary shows for the last fifteen years or more, since they actually stopped using soundstage for filming.
American Idol has the Frozen Sing-a-Long now. Yes that was in the backlot theatre, but that had sat empty for years since Hunchback closed around 10 years ago, so it's not a recent thing.
Animation Tour was replaced with Star Wars launch bay.
LMA and HISTK don't close for another month, they are being demolished as part of the rebuild for Toy Story and Star Wars. So yes come April they will actually be closing attractions, but currently there is only one attraction closed, that wasn't already out of action 5-10 years ago.

Yes the park is stale and needed new attractions ten years ago, but it hasn't suddenly become a "half day park". In fact if you are going for the first time there is more than enough to fill a day. It's only if you have been many times before that it's boring to sit through Beauty and the Beast again or Little Mermaid for the 20th time. If you are skipping the shows it becomes a short day, but to a first timer there is plenty to see.
Also with launch bay and the new fireworks, there is more new to see than there has been for a while. I haven't been for six years so the Frozen Sing-a-Long is new to me too.

I agree that DHS needs lots of new things, but that doesn't mean there isn't enough there now, just that it's all out of date.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
, but it hasn't suddenly become a "half day park". In fact if you are going for the first time there is more than enough to fill a day. .

So which is it, a half day park that has historically always been a half day park, or a park that there is more than enough to fill a day. For arguments sake lets say standing in lines to the few attractions operating doesn't really constitute as part of the days entertainment.

The park is a disgrace, I could give a fig about the over all theme, I do however care about getting enough to do to justify the price The Rodent wishes to charge.
The one thing you are correct about is that repeat visits are detracting from what little there is. Pretty odd that a company would instigate a policy to discourage repeat users of the brand, unless of course they were too demanding and harder to satisfy as customers. The concept of a guest died years ago, but some sad acts still buy it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm hardly up in arms about this new price point. What I'm seeing over and over are people who are incised that they are not willing to or are able to do the things they have enjoyed in the past due to the new associated costs.

A Disney vacation is not a durable commodity good (as is also a Universal or SeaWorld adventure) and not a necessity. No one will die if they don't get one, nor face lasting harm in spite of the current crop of Ada lawsuits.

Everyone has a budget of income and expenditures, some more some less. Some can afford items by reprioritization, some don't need to, and some cannot.

No need to wrap excessive verbiage and rationalization around it. You can afford it or you cannot, it's that simple.

BoarderPhreak

As long as this is only for one day tickets, or maybe non-resort guests... I suppose I can live with that. I mean, I don't fall into either demographic. ;)

Whether or not it really affects park attendance as far as leveling it out or making it less crowded on key days, etc. time will tell. Though I think it has more to do with greed than anything else... Let's be real here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom