[RUMOR]: Grand Floridian Resort to Be Gutted to Become Modern Luxury Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

FullSailDan

It wouldn't be totally a surprise, the hotel hasn't done anything innovative or original. The Grand struggles every year to maintain its diamond ratings with AAA, which resorts like Yacht and Beach get listed higher in the initial results. Disney ends up negotiating it and promising the moon and stars in fixes, next year rolls around and the same thing happens all over again. The few days I got loaned over there as a front desk manager a decade ago, I hated it. The cast tends to forget why Disney's service makes up for it's lackluster offerings compared to other luxury hotels, and the environment lacks the fun of the other resorts. I get it, it's mostly for upper class people. However, they like to be treated like other guests and have fun too.

The hotel should be the flagship of Disney luxury and service, somewhere along the line it got lost in the tide and became "just another Disney hotel that's painted white and charges more". And I HATE saying that, because I'm not the complainy guy who hates on Disney's methods.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Weren't rooms at the GF refurbished a couple of years ago?

While I agree that it is not a 5 star Resort (low 4 star to me), I cannot see Iger or the BoD approving a complete demolish.

Upgrade furnishings & linens, yes. Rooms at Universal's Royal Pacific, especially the beds and linens, are far better than the GF...and cheaper. And swap out that pathetic excuse for a coffee maker. Our 2 bedroom suite at GF had a nice Keurig - put one in all the rooms. If Uni can, why can't Disney? And then recycle those Cuisinart pod coffee makers into the Values. There's no excuse for any Disney hotel room not to have a coffee maker....

And for goodness sakes, replace all the burned out bulbs on the roofs!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Wait, didn't they just build a DVC wing and they made it basically the same as the rest of the resort albeit with more space.... No? I would have thought they would have started their improvements when they built that.

While the villas may look similar on the outside, the rooms are much nicer, not just larger. Better furnishings, split bathroom, free standing soaker tub in 1 bedrooms, etc.

Stevek

Well it's not wrong about one thing - the Four Seasons demonstrates what a joke Disney's "deluxe" hotel operation is. Does Bob Chapek also see how glaringly awful WDW's theme parks are?
But does it matter if people are already willing to pay a gazillion dollars per night to stay on Disney property for what is already there? Maybe Disney feels they need a gazillion + 1 now...who am I kidding, of course they do and gutting the resort will give them the rationale to charge it...and people will pay it.

andysol

Looks like another example of Disney stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickel.

Looks like another example of the worst WDW "news" site saying something that isn't remotely true.

They need to do what they do best- get real news from WDWMagic and then regurgitate it as their own. The rumors that clown at "news yesterday" comes up with on his own are the worst....

IanDLBZF

They need to do what they do best- get real news from WDWMagic and then regurgitate it as their own. The rumors that clown at "news yesterday" comes up with on his own are the worst....
Agreed!

And I'd like to point out something from the same article....
Obviously, many executives at Walt Disney World are trying to talk Chapek out of this massive remodeling as the Grand Floridian makes quite a bit of money and is often well-liked by those who stay there. One of the proposed alternate plans would involve constructing a new flagship hotel for Walt Disney World just north of the Transportation and Ticket Center. Reportedly, they have had no luck in changing his mind as of yet and Chapek is still moving full speed ahead with his plan.
Could we be seeing a potential IMPEACHMENT of Chapek should these plans occur?!

21stamps

Weren't rooms at the GF refurbished a couple of years ago?

While I agree that it is not a 5 star Resort (low 4 star to me), I cannot see Iger or the BoD approving a complete demolish.

Upgrade furnishings & linens, yes. Rooms at Universal's Royal Pacific, especially the beds and linens, are far better than the GF...and cheaper. And swap out that pathetic excuse for a coffee maker. Our 2 bedroom suite at GF had a nice Keurig - put one in all the rooms. If Uni can, why can't Disney? And then recycle those Cuisinart pod coffee makers into the Values. There's no excuse for any Disney hotel room not to have a coffee maker....

And for goodness sakes, replace all the burned out bulbs on the roofs!
Wait, what? Some hotels don't have coffee makers?

21stamps

Mostly the value resorts, AFAIK.
O. M. G. WTH. (Insert several other acronyms here) Come on now Disney, that's crazy.
I'm not sure what they thought would happen once a Four Seasons was built. I would guess the GF is competing for the same clientele, but I dont know how Disney will ever win. I'm all for a change in this case.
I completely disagree with this. I think Poly vs GF is probably the biggest competition. The Four Seasons is for people who want to be away from the madness. Poly & GF resorts are for people who want to be up close to the madness.lol
If I'm at Disney World with my family, I want to be at a hotel where I can have breakfast in my room while looking at the Castle and hearing the sounds of the park...and then hop on a monorail or walk to the boat launch to take me to those sounds. :)

Dr.GrantSeeker

On what land? Isn't it all parking between the TTC, other than the ferry dock, and the Lagoon?

I believe this is what is being referenced. Still I don't believe this would ever happen.

wdw.PNG

deeevo

Not sure how this fits into the new Disney business model since they would have to invest a very large chunk of money to get very little return since the GF rates are already at or above most 5 star hotels in the US. And on top of that I would assume occupancy is over 90%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom