Rumor - Disneyland Prices Going up and Tiered Pricing Introduced

D

Deleted member 107043

. All I'm saying is, the good will and one-of-a-kind emotional connection they have with their enormous fan base is worth, in the long run, far, far more to the company than short-term profits gained by nickel-and-diming their guests to the point where the good will is lost forever.

I'm probably alone here, but I think Disney might be wise to give a little push back to the hardcore fan base. In my opinion their obsession and insatiable appetite for the parks is the reason we're at this this juncture. As my mother used to say, too many sweets will give you cavities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich T

I'm probably alone here, but I think Disney might be wise to give a little push back to the hardcore fan base. In my opinion their obsession and insatiable appetite for the parks is the reason we're at this this juncture. As my mother used to say, too many sweets will give you cavities.
I actually agree with you on this, and have no problem with huge price hikes on APs. But when I mention perceived "Good Will" and "Magic" I mean it more applied to a general-public-wide view of Disney and not just the hardcore fans. Every other entertainment company on Earth wishes they had the generation-spanning emotional connection to its viewers/visitors that Disney's built up.

GiveMeTheMusic

Is ths another instance in which Universal gets a pass, but Disney is expected to be held to higher standards? Because.....they're nicer people?

USH is handling it a bit differently. Their peak day price is their regular price and they're actually discounting non-peak days, as low as $75. Disneyland will not be so generous. Their current price will be the non-peak price and it will only go up from their on other days.

So while neither are "nicer people", Universal's policy is more consumer-friendly when it comes to pricing.

Curious Constance

USH is handling it a bit differently. Their peak day price is their regular price and they're actually discounting non-peak days, as low as $75. Disneyland will not be so generous. Their current price will be the non-peak price and it will only go up from their on other days.

So while neither are "nicer people", Universal's policy is more consumer-friendly when it comes to pricing.

Well, despite Potter, Universal still doesn't have anywhere near the demand that Disneyland does, so it makes sense for Disneyland to keep the prices increasing.

This is just my opinion, but the fact that Universal charges anywhere near Disneyland, with or without Potter, is mind blowing to me.

Curious Constance

Couple other points....

It's entirely possible Universal is still planning on a price increase for 2016, they may be planning it later in the year, separately before the big summer crowds as a way to soften the Tiered pricing blow.

And to me, Disneyland's crowding problem is far more of an issue than the yearly price increases. It's going to cost a lot for my family to visit, thousands of dollars, a few dollars here or there isn't going to impact my visit much. But the crazy crowds sure have a major impact. To me, that's not very consumer friendly considering the large wad of cash I have to throw down.

George Lucas on a Bench

And to me, Disneyland's crowding problem is far more of an issue than the yearly price increases. It's going to cost a lot for my family to visit, thousands of dollars, a few dollars here or there isn't going to impact my visit much. But the crazy crowds sure have a major impact. To me, that's not very consumer friendly considering the large wad of cash I have to throw down.

I don't really see that as a valid complaint as far as Disney is concerned. They don't care. Why would they, unless the parks are actually at capacity around Christmas and New Year? Are they supposed to apologize that you and everyone else want to go to Disneyland? They know you and everyone else will pay for it, and you will.

D

Deleted member 107043

And to me, Disneyland's crowding problem is far more of an issue than the yearly price increases.

Yep. There's nothing "magical" about wall to wall people, long lines, AND exorbitant admission prices. I'm fine paying top dollar for something if it's going to be a relatively premium experience, but right now it's rare to go to DLR when it isn't busy and the parks are fully functioning.

Curious Constance

I don't really see that as a valid complaint as far as Disney is concerned. They don't care. Why would they, unless the parks are actually at capacity around Christmas and New Year? Are they supposed to apologize that you and everyone else want to go to Disneyland? They know you and everyone else will pay for it, and you will.

Yes, I want them to apologize to me. That's definitely the point I was making.

My actual point is, if they don't keep increasing prices, the crowds will get worse. And that won't be good for business.

TP2000

I have to wonder why they would choose to implement tiered pricing now, as opposed to waiting for Star Wars Land to open?

This is something they should have been doing for five years by now. Anyone who has tried to get into Disneyland during Christmas, or Spring Break, or any major holiday weekend from Columbus Day to Presidents Day knows the place is bonkers busy. The off-season disappeared sometime around the 50th Anniversary and not even the Great Recession could bring an off-season back.

Demand pricing is a concept that's worked well for many entertainment-based industries for decades; ski resorts, NFL and NBA games, big city philarmonic and opera, big name pop stars, glitzy Vegas shows, etc., etc.

Disneyland is late to this party by at least five years, if not a decade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom