Rope Lights Outlining Roofs on Deluxe Resorts Diminishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I am curious. Those that are complaining about the lights being out at the GF are you staying there? My gut says no. If you are not staying there and paying $400 plus a night why do you care? More importantly if it doesn't bother those that stay there why do you let it bother you?
Your gut would be wrong, amigo. I have stayed there, and it does bother me. So... you will excuse Disney for not replacing lights bulbs on their flagship resort after profiting over $7 billion last year, but the people who think their cheap for not doing so deserve criticism?

And before you respond with, "I never said they were excused", I know. But you felt the need to focus on the people with concern rather than what they are actually concerned about, which is more than simple light bulbs. If you cant grasp the concept that the light bulbs are the tiny tip of a humongous iceberg hiding right under the calm waters of Bay Lake, then I will gladly cut a straw to a proper length with which you can snort your next rail of pixie dust.

ABQ

Somewhere it was brought up the OSHA requirement for railings on roof edges. Does anyone with true knowledge of this code know if it does apply in the case of replacing the lights? I mean, I still see window washing crews using what equates to not much more than a swing set seat attached to climbing line. Couldn't two workers in climbing gear affixed to a hardpoint on the roof replace a string of lights in a day?

Figment2005

As of last night, it appears as though the lights on all but the DVC and highest tower at GF were turned off. Not burned out, completely turned off.

sporadic

Why would there be a wait to upgrade to LED?
Exactly, it's not all that new a tech. They could have asked their friends at "Sylvania, a Siemens company" to recommend a bulb to use. Prior to Siemens dumping Osram, that is. Or just drive down to Home Depot for Pete's Sake.

It's not as simple as just replacing them with all LED bulbs. LED retrofit bulbs require switching regulators in their bases and not all are outdoor rated. Depending on the form factor of their current fixtures, there may not be a replacement readily available. Retrofit bulbs in 120V sockets are a hack anyways. Could be as simple as they don't like the color temp or hues that the LED fixtures emit. They may be looking at replacing the entire setup with a proper LED system.

lazyboy97o

Somewhere it was brought up the OSHA requirement for railings on roof edges. Does anyone with true knowledge of this code know if it does apply in the case of replacing the lights? I mean, I still see window washing crews using what equates to not much more than a swing set seat attached to climbing line. Couldn't two workers in climbing gear affixed to a hardpoint on the roof replace a string of lights in a day?

It's not as simple as just replacing them with all LED bulbs. LED retrofit bulbs require switching regulators in their bases and not all are outdoor rated. Depending on the form factor of their current fixtures, there may not be a replacement readily available. Retrofit bulbs in 120V sockets are a hack anyways. Could be as simple as they don't like the color temp or hues that the LED fixtures emit. They may be looking at replacing the entire setup with a proper LED system.
The new building has trim lighting that is LED...

sporadic

The new building has trim lighting that is LED...
Ah, wasn't aware! Curious, what kind of setup did they go with? Any close up pictures? The old stuff looks just like C7 or C9 stringers for which there are plenty of LED retrofit bulbs available for.

tirian

I wonder if the fact that the old filament bulbs are being phased out (extremely hard to find them here in Europe now) is having any impact or not. Maybe they are waiting to replace them with LEDs and don't want to waste money on buying ever increasing expensive bulbs that are going to be replaced.?
Disney trashes thousands of LEDs every few years when they replace the Christmas garlands. Old garlands go to Cast Connection, lights intact. The LEDs are custom-wired and really nice; each bulb holds three diodes at various heights to simulate an incandescent filament. Disney definitely doesn't have problems buying light bulbs. ;)

sporadic

The company that did the lighting - http://www.gwalighting.com/disney-grand-floridian.html doesn't even have the trim lightning turned on in their portfolio pictures (yet its turned on for the original building):
the%20villas%20at%20disney-s%20grand%20floridian%20-%20night.jpg

Wonder if they were responsible for the trim? I mean, really?????
69462bc80533ba635b2bb3a0da1bac1b.JPG

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ok, I'll play along...

Because you signed a contract saying that you would do just that.

I grew up "up there in farm country". Front yard was 6 acres I mowed with an International 274, grandpa was a tobacco farmer, yada yada... Love the country living and agree it's a better quality of life than a gated community. Given that, I live in a neighborhood now. Biggest reason is land cost and my job's location. Wasn't very keen on having a 2 hour round trip commute each day. It's not a gated community, but is nicely kept and there's an HOA. Something that we were aware of and had to sign a contract on. Yeah, there are other neighborhoods around here that don't have HOA covenants, and it shows... Places I would rather not live in for numerous reasons (they're just trashy for the most part). The fact is, in more densely populated areas (ala Disney World), you're going to pay a premium to ensure clean and quality surroundings. Has nothing to do with a "culture or conformity". Has to do with wanting a nice place for you and your family to grow up in. So that the house less than 20' from you doesn't have 3' tall weeds and a yard full of junk cars with shutters hanging off the house and paint peeling. If you're at Disney though, no matter where you're staying, you're paying that premium to ensure that the property is kept to a higher standard.

Lets put it this way I do the 2-3 hour commute each way precisely SO I did not need to live in a HOA anthill where everything not prohibited was compulsory. Where I live 800K buys a 100 acre farm, Where I work 800K buys a 650 sq ft studio.

But back to Disney, Disney is charging gated community prices for a increasingly downmarket trailer park experience.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The company that did the lighting - http://www.gwalighting.com/disney-grand-floridian.html doesn't even have the trim lightning turned on in their portfolio pictures (yet its turned on for the original building):
the%20villas%20at%20disney-s%20grand%20floridian%20-%20night.jpg

Wonder if they were responsible for the trim? I mean, really?????
69462bc80533ba635b2bb3a0da1bac1b.JPG

That second photo is just awful. What a disgrace. For all the people who dismiss the lighting issue because it doesnt affect enjoyment on your vacation, please stop. Of course it has no affect on the amount of fun you have while riding Test Track, but its turning a blind eye to the company setting this type of standard for not only their premier resort, but its DVC wing as well, which charges INSANE maintenance fees for points on your DVC contract.

If they (and you) allow it for Grand Floridian, whats next? Your just enabling.

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
:facepalm:
That second photo is just awful. What a disgrace. For all the people who dismiss the lighting issue because it doesnt affect enjoyment on your vacation, please stop. Just shut up. Of course it has no affect on the amount of fun you have while riding Test Track, but its turning a blind eye to the company setting this type of standard for not only their premier resort, but its DVC wing as well, which charges INSANE maintenance fees for points on your DVC contract.

If they (and you) allow it for Grand Floridian, whats next? Your just enabling.
o_O
First off none of us that said we don't care about the lights said or insisted no one should complain! Whoever it bothers should definately complain!
Second I am a DVC member and plan on buying more points at VGF in the future. Maintenance fees are not "insane" and are very reasonable in my opinion. I have 220 points at AKV one of the more expensive on maintenance fees and only breaks down to a little over $100 bucks a month. Yes they do rise annually and so does any other timeshare etc and some timeshares are a lot more money for maintenance fees than DVC!!!
Third those of us that don't complain are not enabling! Lots of people don't like it and will and should complain about said problems. Everyone is different on what bothers them or not!!
Forth you said we should not "allow" it! How are we not going to "allow" it what hold a gun to there head???
And last do not tell us to SHUT UP because we dont feel how you do! All of us that disagree with your "opinion" are not telling anyone to SHUT UP! Why is because everyone is entitled to their OPINION! We all may not agree with each other or laugh or not get others opinions but at least show some respect to other's opinions and not tell us to shut up etc!

Iwerks64

I feel the same way and still feel Disney is well above anyone else. I went to Uni In 2013 and the difference is night and day!, so I don't see how some lights out brings it down in quality enough to gripe about. Disney still far surpasses ANY and all competition so that is where my opinion comes from. I breathe Disney

I am curious about your experience with Universal. What about your trip did you find to be "night and day" differences? I took my family over Easter week and stayed at Portofino Bay. I found everything to be clean, well maintained and with an amazing level of detail and theme. The hotel was fantastic, great food and service and immaculate grounds, parks were great and Diagon Alley was jaw dropping. For half the price of staying at the GF, Portofino Bay didn't seem to have any problems keeping trim lights lit in the Florida sun.

(apologies for my poor, grainy image. I'll be the first to admit I'm no photographer.)

Portofino.jpg

sxeensweet

I am curious about your experience with Universal. What about your trip did you find to be "night and day" differences? I took my family over Easter week and stayed at Portofino Bay. I found everything to be clean, well maintained and with an amazing level of detail and theme. The hotel was fantastic, great food and service and immaculate grounds, parks were great and Diagon Alley was jaw dropping. For half the price of staying at the GF, Portofino Bay didn't seem to have any problems keeping trim lights lit in the Florida sun.

(apologies for my poor, grainy image. I'll be the first to admit I'm no photographer.)

View attachment 94602
I was not talking about the hotels there as those I have not stayed at, but do know they are nice from others I know that stayed there. I am now a DVC member so esp now always stay at WDW. I was talking about the parks solely.
We did go in wanting to enjoy it and with an open mind we really did.
First the parking situation eventhough we bought the passes to park close, was still an extremely long, weird walk from the parking tower to actual entrance of
The park. I am in shape so that's not what I'm getting at at all. I don't mind walking but it took us from car to Entrance almost 20 min. And if it would have been a pretty walk it would be nice but it's mainly through covered areas with not much to look at.
After that I went in several stores and they had many items with dust in top and no quality items to me like Disney has a wide range of. I did not buy really anything and for me that is just not like me at all. I love to shop but also
Love quality and unique items.
Several cast members were rude or acted like they did not want to be there at all. Yes you have that everywhere including Disney but we came across more than usual there.
We did not have that immersed feeling like at Disney at all. Food was not nearly as good at several places we ate. Also the bathrooms were not kept as tidy there as at Disney. And no it was not busy that day either to maybe understand that. Just as a whole did not find the parks as clean as at WDW.
The nighttime show was just okay. Harry Potter was probably the best area in the park.
We may go back but we are not racing to do so. We were glad to
Leave actually and that never happens at WDW!
So lots of things were just not up to par for us as why I said its night and day. Purely our opinion and I have many family and friends that feel the same as us. Yes they have more thrill rides and such but to us just feels like any old theme park and not like the whole immersive experience overall at WDW. :)

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Whoever it bothers should definately complain!
It should bother every fan of quality and proper theming.

The rest of your post was just a rant about me saying shut up. It would only.offend those who know they dont help the situation by dismissing it due to the fact "it doesn't affect my vacation". If you feel this applies to you, so be it.

And you do allow it. You've said a billion times that if it were something else such as landscaping or structural issues you would complain, but silly lights don't matter. You selectively choose what would make a difference without realizing they are all connected. Doing nothing is a decision you make.

Last edited:

sxeensweet

It should bother every fan quality and proper theming.

The rest of your post was just a rant about me saying shut up. It would only.offend those who know they dont help the situation by dismissing it due to the fact "it doesn't affect my vacation". If you feel this applies to you, so be it.

And you do allow it. You've said a billion times that if it were something else such as landscaping or structural issues you would complain, but silly lights don't matter. You selectively choose what would make a difference without realizing they are all connected. Doing nothing is a decision you make.
o_O
First off none of us that said we don't care about the lights said or insisted no one should complain! Whoever it bothers should definately complain!
Second I am a DVC member and plan on buying more points at VGF in the future. Maintenance fees are not "insane" and are very reasonable in my opinion. I have 220 points at AKV one of the more expensive on maintenance fees and only breaks down to a little over $100 bucks a month. Yes they do rise annually and so does any other timeshare etc and some timeshares are a lot more money for maintenance fees than DVC!!!
Third those of us that don't complain are not enabling! Lots of people don't like it and will and should complain about said problems. Everyone is different on what bothers them or not!!
Forth you said we should not "allow" it! How are we not going to "allow" it what hold a gun to there head???

^^^^^^^^
Obviously you did not read all my post! Most of it was not about saying shut up! See above 3/4 or more of it you must have missed or chose to miss because I did have valid points. Obviously you are picking and choosing what you wanted to read and respond to. Sheesh! Not surprised and here we go again! Bottom line like it or not I have my opinion and you have yours. Your not going to change my opinion. Just like I will not change yours and nor do I want to change your opinion.
I will defend though you saying most of my post was a rant about saying shut up as it obviously was not by me proving that above. That's a fact I did not waste most of my post ranting about saying shut up and that is not an opinion so don't confuse the 2. You and others seem have a hard time doing that though. :)

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

^^^^^^^^
Obviously you did not read all my post! Most of it was not about saying shut up! See above 3/4 or more of it you must have missed or chose to miss because I did have valid points. Obviously you are picking and choosing what you wanted to read. Sheesh! Not surprised and here we go again! Bottom line like it or not I have my opinion and you have yours. Your not going to change my opinion. Just like I will not change yours and nor do I want to change your opinion.
I will defend though you saying most of my post was a rant about saying shut up as it obviously was not by me proving that above. That's a fact I did not waste most of my post ranting about saying shut up and that is not an opinion so don't confuse the 2. You and others seem have a hard time doing that though. :)
As was stated, you wouldn't be getting all huffy and puffy about people dismissing issues if you didn't see it in yourself.

sxeensweet

As was stated, you wouldn't be getting all huffy and puffy about people dismissing issues if you didn't see it in yourself.
I'm not dismissing anyone's issues and not getting huffy and puffy! Just because I use exclamation points or capital letters does not mean I'm peturbed etc.
I have never dismissed anyone's issues with anything. I may not agree with or find certain things silly etc but that does not mean I dismiss anything. Those are purely opinions. Like I said and will say yet again if something bothers you or anyone else then complain about it. Just don't expect all to feel the way you do. I certainly don't expect anyone to feel the same as me or to agree with me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom