Rope Lights Outlining Roofs on Deluxe Resorts Diminishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
That's what's interesting, they did look pretty good late last year. I guess they are already out

Makes you wonder how clean the rooms actually are when they can't even replace the bulbs twice a year at their "flagship". Sadly it's not what it once was. Love birds are gone, lights don't work and last I checked the Mary Poppins topiary was gone.
I can speak for the rooms there as of Dec 2013 they were immaculate! Just as clean as they always kept them. Also the rooms got much needed refurbs of bedding/curtains and things like that a few years back so they have been taking care of those things still at GF. The common grounds/public bathrooms etc were also beautiful and immaculate when we visited the resort in late 2014. Even when we are not guests there we usually go to shop or eat every trip. I have not seen things change with that upkeep at all. :)

KevinYee

As the *creator* of the Declining by Degrees motto, particularly as it applies to Disney, I feel I am entitled to chime in here. The Grand Floridian is scraping the very bottom of the barrel. A few weeks ago I saw it from the Express Monorail (near Contempo) with no trim lights at all. They seem to have decided to turn the remainder off.

Look, as a former CM and operations guy, I get it. They want to make it not look bad. That doesn't conceal the reality that a few years ago, all the lights were lit. It's not true anymore. This is the very definition of "declining by degrees."

Again, as a former CM, I get there are a million reasons why. But as a guest, I also recognize that those are all excuses, none of which Walt would have recognized. Sorry-not-sorry.

Scuttle

As the *creator* of the Declining by Degrees motto, particularly as it applies to Disney, I feel I am entitled to chime in here. The Grand Floridian is scraping the very bottom of the barrel. A few weeks ago I saw it from the Express Monorail (near Contempo) with no trim lights at all. They seem to have decided to turn the remainder off.

Look, as a former CM and operations guy, I get it. They want to make it not look bad. That doesn't conceal the reality that a few years ago, all the lights were lit. It's not true anymore. This is the very definition of "declining by degrees."

Again, as a former CM, I get there are a million reasons why. But as a guest, I also recognize that those are all excuses, none of which Walt would have recognized. Sorry-not-sorry.
This also comes at a time with Universal so hot on WDW that you'd think they would try to separate themselves. Go back to the basics! Things as simple as upkeep that was once included in the budget should be top priority.

StageFrenzy

Howdy Kevin, nice to see you around these parts where have you been?

Disneygal1

Original Poster
This picture was taken today from the California Grill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 108

Bocabear

So.....anyway, yeah they really should replace the system and get it all back up and running...hopefully this will all be done by the 2021 50th Anniversary....Then they can create a whole Travel Channel documentary about restoring the lighting the their flagship resort and how noble they were to recreate the designer's original vision for the hotel...though they were the same people that value engineered it out of existence....

hpyhnt 1000

This picture was taken today from the California Grill

At least Narcoossee's is lit?

Which, to me, is even more disappointing because it proves it has nothing to do with guest safety or fire hazards or technological issues. It's just straight up cheapness, poor maintenance and lack of pride.

If they can keep the rim lights on at Narcoossee's, then they could darn well do it for the entire resort.

Scuttle

At least Narcoossee's is lit?

Which, to me, is even more disappointing because it proves it has nothing to do with guest safety or fire hazards or technological issues. It's just straight up cheapness, poor maintenance and lack of pride.

If they can keep the rim lights on at Narcoossee's, then they could darn well do it for the entire resort.
Yes this makes it even worse IMO. They actually replaced those, but left the other hard to reach areas of the resort untouched. And now they just turn them off. They should either replace the entire system with LEDs or just turn every single popcorn light off. Having Narc and a couple other strands on looks even worse than having no lights at all.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can speak for the rooms there as of Dec 2013 they were immaculate! Just as clean as they always kept them. Also the rooms got much needed refurbs of bedding/curtains and things like that a few years back so they have been taking care of those things still at GF. The common grounds/public bathrooms etc were also beautiful and immaculate when we visited the resort in late 2014. Even when we are not guests there we usually go to shop or eat every trip. I have not seen things change with that upkeep at all. :)

Then I assume you are not looking, The plating is coming off the fixtures in the mens room's all over the resort, Now with a plated fixture that's a matter of WHEN the plating comes off not IF the plating comes off with a if it's in commercial service, In the past those fixtures would have been REPLACED now they are just left there to rot and serve as examples of bad show. Did I take pictures - no that's just creepy taking pictures in the bathrooms.

GoofyCathy

To say it best I will just agree to disagree with some points in this post. Life is not this serious. Lol I'm just thankful to have my Disney parks magic in my life with their flaws and all! Some people don't even get to ever experience Disney "magic"! So burnt lights and all I'm still blessed to be able to go as much as we do. :)

I agree...As DVC members, we feel so blessed that we get to go to WDW as often as we do. It's simply magical. But I do believe that those lights are part of the magic and when some are out, it does diminish that feeling. It would be so much better, then, to have no lights at all than a few strands out...it just makes it look like Disney is having problems-financial or personnel...which we just don't want to feel on these fabulous getaways. We just expect a little better than that from Disney.

GoofyCathy

No I know the schedule every 4th/8th day etc and they never came at all when supposed to this last trip late 2014 when we were there for 13 days to change our essentials out and then also one full clean as you get one of those of you are there at least 8 nights! We had previous DVC stays before this last one with no problems! Also our room is easy to do because we are not messy and it's just me and DH. I know my contract stipulations!! I also never joined DVC until May 2013. Also for your information the last 3 nights of it were a cash stay. Still had an instance with the cash stay portion too, and not just the many problems we had on tbe DVC portion for the first 9 nights!! We had many visits prior and stayed on property at the Deluxe resorts as REGULAR guests!!! I KNOW MOYSEKEEPING DOES NOT COME EVERY DAY like a regular guest!!!!! They are supposed to come every 4th day!!!! They did not do that and took pulling teeth to get them to come and when they did they couldn't even take out all the little trash we had and replace all the towels , toilet paper etc!!!!! And we had several other problems with them in the same stay last Nov 14. Get your story straight and don't assume I don't know they do not come every day!! I know the rules of DVC! :)

We had the same issue in April at Grand Californian. We, like you, are very neat but by the 4th day we needed a little housekeeping. So when we came back to our room and still had full garbage cans, no new soap, shampoo, or TP we were a little disgusted. This whole 4th day thing really needs to be improved. New sheets or at least making the bed that day would've been nice. I filled out the survey after so hopefully they'll get the message.

sxeensweet

Then I assume you are not looking, The plating is coming off the fixtures in the mens room's all over the resort, Now with a plated fixture that's a matter of WHEN the plating comes off not IF the plating comes off with a if it's in commercial service, In the past those fixtures would have been REPLACED now they are just left there to rot and serve as examples of bad show. Did I take pictures - no that's just creepy taking pictures in the bathrooms.
First off I'm not a man so I did not see that. LOL! Sheesh!!! So that does not mean I'm not looking.
Second you need to complain to GF and Disney.
Not discounting your findings or opinion let's make that clear first, But my DH never noticed it either I just asked him, and he laughed at how nitpicky and so small (purely his opinion he just thought it was funny) that unless you are looking specifically for problems like that an average person (or Disney diehard like me yes believe or not eventhough I don't notice the tiny issues lol) will not pay attention to it especially a man at that. Haha
If it bothers you I hope you complained though. Like I said everyone is different in what they notice and expect.
Me personally and my DH feel we have better things to do while I'm at GF or WDW than look for some plating coming off fixtures in the men's bathroom. Lol All I can do is laugh at that example because I'm not a man therefore would never have seen that, and sorry not trying to be rude, because I'm not going to go in then men's bathroom to "look". I guess I'm blind yet again because I did not see that in the "men's" bathroom and I'm a "woman". This thread keeps getting better and better! But I needed a good laugh thanks! :rolleyes::hilarious: **Still eating popcorn and watching this go in for a 3rd day!**

Last edited:

Goofnut1980

We had the same issue in April at Grand Californian. We, like you, are very neat but by the 4th day we needed a little housekeeping. So when we came back to our room and still had full garbage cans, no new soap, shampoo, or TP we were a little disgusted. This whole 4th day thing really needs to be improved. New sheets or at least making the bed that day would've been nice. I filled out the survey after so hopefully they'll get the message.

Being DVC I always would tip Mousekeeping until this last visit. I will not do it anymore. They do nothing and for paying a premium, they should be doing more! What happened to the day when a room would have 6 towels in it. Now you have sleeping for 4.. and 4 towels.. I see why people snag the pool towels.

I really think they should come on the 3rd day and completely change out on the 6th day. Because even at home I don't let my sheets go 6 days. Paying what we do for dues and the cost of the DVC - it should be top-notch. We are the loyals that come back over and over. Not including adding on points (Like I just did 4 weeks ago at the Poly)

sxeensweet

Being DVC I always would tip Mousekeeping until this last visit. I will not do it anymore. They do nothing and for paying a premium, they should be doing more! What happened to the day when a room would have 6 towels in it. Now you have sleeping for 4.. and 4 towels.. I see why people snag the pool towels.

I really think they should come on the 3rd day and completely change out on the 6th day. Because even at home I don't let my sheets go 6 days. Paying what we do for dues and the cost of the DVC - it should be top-notch. We are the loyals that come back over and over. Not including adding on points (Like I just did 4 weeks ago at the Poly)
Totally agree with the last few posts about DVC. Seems to be commonplace that mousekeeping is starting to seriously slack at numerous resorts. No I do not feel "entitled" as I got accused early in this thread but I did pay a substantial premium to buy and every year pay a big premium to maintain our home resort. Also are their repeat visitors that keep spending at the parks and resorts. To be treated like we were at our home resort Kidani/AKV is not acceptable. We were talked to rudely several times when we were not rude at all, didn't show up on said days, when they finally did show up not everything was done Or replaced, told basically we have to be out before 8-9am to get our room serviced! , etc etc and I could go on there was more issues! Lol We did complain numerous times and will continue to if the problem persists in our next stay.
Those are problems that personally bother me cleanliness, services not performed, rude Customer service, etc etc. I make sure to let it known and anyone on here eventhough I do not agree with some issues, should complain to Disney and not fuss at me that I don't feel the same as them. lol. :)

Goofnut1980

To be treated like we were at our home resort Kidani/AKV is not acceptable. :)
We are also Kidani/AKV and now Poly. But our trip to AKV in the beginning of this month was the same at the front desk level. The CM we had was just a bit snobby. I don't want it to sound like I feel entitled, but we are at a deluxe resort. The attention to detail should be even more grand than a value. I stay at value's too and have found the service there is sometimes better than the deluxe accomodations.

However, we didn't let it ruin our fun. But someone must have peed in her wheaties! lol

Bocabear

We are DVC BLT, and I have to say, the condition of the rooms there has degraded very much since opening....as a fairly new resort it is amazing how shabby the Grand Villas look... very damaged woodwork, Window treatments that have completely fallen down and are pushed against the wall, or just no longer work, we had plumbing issues in our unit two times we stayed there... The units look thrashed.... Maybe the One and Two bedroom units are in better shape, but I was a little shocked the last few years... This year we will be trying the Bungalows...
Not saying BLT is the worst place in the world, but when you are staying in the top flight Disney Resorts, you do expect them to be in perfect shape...DVC is not cheap...and on top of that I am paying them to maintain that room...

sxeensweet

We are also Kidani/AKV and now Poly. But our trip to AKV in the beginning of this month was the same at the front desk level. The CM we had was just a bit snobby. I don't want it to sound like I feel entitled, but we are at a deluxe resort. The attention to detail should be even more grand than a value. I stay at value's too and have found the service there is sometimes better than the deluxe accomodations.

However, we didn't let it ruin our fun. But someone must have peed in her wheaties! lol
We know this all too well at Kidani! Haha! We absolutely love the resort and villas there but customer service and mousekeeping is just not what it used to be. Some family members always stay at Value or Moderate and never had any problems before like we have. You know what the crazy thing is before we joined DVC and stayed at Kidani numerous times in villas, we never were treated badly! Go figure we join and now we started having problems. Lol. I will say we had no issues with SSR, GFV, or at The Boardwalk so far. Only at Kidani currently. Hoping with the management change that happened there in March will bring welcome improvements in the near future. :)

sxeensweet

We are DVC BLT, and I have to say, the condition of the rooms there has degraded very much since opening....as a fairly new resort it is amazing how shabby the Grand Villas look... very damaged woodwork, Window treatments that have completely fallen down and are pushed against the wall, or just no longer work, we had plumbing issues in our unit two times we stayed there... The units look thrashed.... Maybe the One and Two bedroom units are in better shape, but I was a little shocked the last few years... This year we will be trying the Bungalows...
Not saying BLT is the worst place in the world, but when you are staying in the top flight Disney Resorts, you do expect them to be in perfect shape...DVC is not cheap...and on top of that I am paying them to maintain that room...
I agree BLT I don't know what their problem is! Lol. One reason why we never stayed there is the now conditions in some of their rooms and the resort is not really homey and welcoming to me (seems like a corporate office building) but we do go to visit the Top of The World lounge every trip. Kidani opened shortly before them and the rooms still look good and have not noticed any major wearing in most areas. I take pictures in all our rooms every trip there and had nothing that stood out that needed to be repaired or given some love. If I owned at BLT I would be highly dissapointed at the state of the rooms so I don't blame you on this one.
We want to buy some points at VGF but have no desire to at BLT nor ever really did. Now I'm glad I never bought at BLT hearing your issues. Lol. We love staying at VGF and Kidani the most. We also enjoy SSR and The Boardwalk (regular rooms and DVC side). :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom