Rookie mistakes....

BigHero4

Our 4 year old wanted to go swimming right away when we got to our resort... I forgot to pack our swim gear in our carry on, and DME doesn't deliver suitcases until 3-5 hours after you arrive. We were on the verge of an epic meltdown when we got the fateful knock on the door with the suitcases. Saved my sanity and about $50 for a pair of swim trunks from the gift shop.

Upvote 0

draybook

Original Poster
On my first ever visit back in 91 I completely missed WS at Epcot. I had no clue it was there, whether I didn't bother getting a park map or just wasn't paying attention, I don't know.
It came as a pleasant surprise when I found it a year later.

We knew about Epcot but we skipped it (only 5 days in the parks on first trip) because we thought the kids might not like it because it seemed too educational for a vacation. Boy were we wrong.....

Upvote 0

SyracuseDisneyFan

Not a rookie mistake, but a huge mistake on my part. My Dad bought coffee and snacks for all of us last year when we were at DHS during their morning Extra Magic Hours. I got a huge cinnamon roll from the cart by Toy Story Midway Mania. I went on Rock 'N' Roller Coaster after eating the cinnamon roll and then went on Tower of Terror afterward. I thought I was going to throw up on the Tower of Terror.

Upvote 0

Foolish Mortal

Rookie trip too far back to remember but the first time I used dining plan I thought you HAD to use QS and table service on same day. Arrived middle of day had a table service dinner and a few hours later force ate the QS.

Upvote 0

betty rose

Mine was not really a Disney mistake so much as I packed half a suitcase full of 'Fancy' clothes, guess I thought I would be changing outfits to go out for dinner each night, big mistake!!

These days just bring one nice outfit for a signature dinner when I want to change out of park clothes, besides it then leaves loads more room in my case for shopping!!
I did the same thing, and I still pack too many clothes, in general.:)

Upvote 0

bebert

It took us four years of trips to finally start packing snacks and an extra lunch for the kids so they would be able have something to eat when they get hungry. Anyone who has children knows there is nothing worse than waiting in a quick service line with a hungry and tired child, easily the worst 10-15 minutes of your life.
Once we had some food for them to snack on, we stopped having those lovely outbursts:facepalm:.
Another incident involved the buffet at the Crystal Palace. Temps were in the mid 90's high humidity and we had lunch reservations at the Crystal Palace, where I think the temperature is in the 50's. Of course this being a buffet at Disney and I can put away large amounts of food I wanted to get my monies worth. Then after lunch we decided to stand in the sun and catch the 3:30 parade. I think you all get the picture, going from hot/humid to ice cold then back to hot/humid with about 6 trips to the buffet in your stomach:hungover:. I really was hoping one of the floats would go astray and run over me to put me out of my misery.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Premium Member
On our very first trip we had an ADR for Whispering Canyon and waited at the North Bus depot at POR for over 40 minutes rather than walking over to the South Depot for the MK bus (not much of a walk from Magnolia Bend.) Finally, a bus arrived (not one we needed) and the driver somehow notified an MK bus that we needed pickup. Transferred @ MK by water launch. We just did make it in time to Wilderness Lodge for our dinner. Big lesson learned.

Upvote 0

habuma

Our first trip to Disney World was on our honeymoon. She wanted to go to Disney World...I didn't care either way, so sure. Neither of us had been before. My rookie mistake was assuming that Disney World was just "Six Flags with Mickey Mouse" and not fully enjoying it as something completely different. It wasn't until we were back home that I realized that it was something different.

Followup rookie mistake: Waiting 10 years before going back again. Now we're doing everything in our power (and budget) to rectify that error.

Upvote 0

disneyfirstLJ

Our first trip was just last year and my "rookie" mistake was going full force commando in the morning and afternoon in the parks and not providing time to relax back at the resort so that we could go to the nighttime activities. My trip just last week I build in relaxation time but due to rain and other circumstances we only saw Illuminations. Oh well, we will have to plan another trip to see Fantasmic and Wishes!

Upvote 0

thomas998

Okay, so let's discuss our rookie mistakes that we made on our first trips. Try to pick your biggest mistake and post it.

For me, it was wearing blue jeans......on our first trip.......in September.......

Biggest rookie mistake was a rookie Halloween Party mistake, we all wore over the top pirate costumes that were way too hot for the Florida heat. Was tempted to be lady godiva by the end of it all.

Upvote 0

Kevin_W

Sadly it wasn't on our rookie trip, but we ate lunch at ALK because of it's proximity to AK. Somehow, we both missed what bus we were getting on and instead of the AK bus we got on the DTD bus. So our "short" trip was AK -> DTD -> Pop Century -> AK. At least it was a warm afternoon and we got to spend time on an empty, air-conditioned bus...

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

any visit that resulted in standing in 90 + degree weather for greater than 1 hour to ride Splash Mountain or getting to the Magic Kingdom entrance after 10:30 a.m. on a busy day would be rookie mistakes and I will admit to doing both more than once. :eek:

Trying to take resort transportation from Epcot to a boardwalk resort at park closing instead of walking -that's a rookie mistake!

Upvote 0
Not a rookie mistake, but a huge mistake on my part. My Dad bought coffee and snacks for all of us last year when we were at DHS during their morning Extra Magic Hours. I got a huge cinnamon roll from the cart by Toy Story Midway Mania. I went on Rock 'N' Roller Coaster after eating the cinnamon roll and then went on Tower of Terror afterward. I thought I was going to throw up on the Tower of Terror.
Same thing happened to me. We rode Mission Space three times in a row after just eating lunch at Rose and Crown. Right after that we went on Living with the Land and the strobes they use for the lightening in the first scene brought on that not so pleasant feeling. DW was hysterical thinking I might be the first person to get motion sickness from Living with the Land.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

First opportunity to see castle show followed by Wishes with my Littles...got as close as we could....That's what you do right? Couldn't figure out why after the castle show people were moving back. "Why are they giving up these prime seats? " I thought, so close to the beloved castle. First few fireworks went off. ...oh, that's why....next 20 minutes of "mommy, I can't really SEE them, but I can hear them". Epic fail. Needless to say we had to make it back to MK another night and watch from MS USA.:)

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

First family trip I booked table service ADRs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. :banghead: After day 1 we cancelled all but the dinners. :rolleyes:

Our 4 year old wanted to go swimming right away when we got to our resort... I forgot to pack our swim gear in our carry on, and DME doesn't deliver suitcases until 3-5 hours after you arrive. We were on the verge of an epic meltdown when we got the fateful knock on the door with the suitcases. Saved my sanity and about $50 for a pair of swim trunks from the gift shop.

Last year we went in February and when we left NY it was 20 degrees. My daughter wore Uggs on the plane - forgetting DME comes hours later. When we landed in Florida it was 80. Thankfully the bags were delivered within an hour and we were off to MK. Will never let THAT happen again.

Upvote 0

Tiggertoo56

Not rookie but first trip back as adults we didn't plan a long enough trip thinking four days would be enough after all what adults would want more than four days in WDW. Needless to say we returned for five more days three months later and six years and eight trips later still havent had enough time there.
We planned 2 weeks first time and soon realised that this wasn't enough!!! After another 6 x 2 week visits still not enough. Coming from UK our biggest mistake was packing far too much - soon got that sorted.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom