News Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster closing for refurbishment in February 2023

EPCOT-O.G.

I highly doubt they’d go with any music they don’t own.
BB39F5BE-A802-4716-8588-A9AC332AE315.jpeg

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I highly doubt this is a complete track replacement. I mean, it's one thing to build a coaster in 7 months, but to fully demo a ride and re-build it in 7 months is a speed that would be unrealistic (especially for Disney). I could certainly see a situation where portions of the track are replaced, but not the whole thing. Maybe some track replacements/welds in some high stress areas. Also possible that they are replacing/upgrading the launch system. The launch system on RnRC is almost 25 years old and is an antique as far as launched coasters go utilizing an LSM powered catch car. I believe Guardians uses a newer LSM system and Tron uses a LIM system (but both from Vekoma). Maybe Vekoma convinced Disney to upgrade the launch system on RnRC to utilize the same hardware as either Tron or Guardians to make maintenance easier (shared parts/tech between the two ride system; plus newer hardware would make finding replacement parts easier). Newer launch system could require a complete replacement of the launch tracks to accommodate the new hardware (along with potentially new trains)... that seems more like an upgrade that could be completed in 7 months as opposed to a complete track replacement...

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I'd rather new trains over track. While it isn't the smoothest ride, going with the DLP SM style trains would be a massive upgrade. If we get both, then that'd be great. The old fashioned, horseshoe restraints don't ever feel great.
If that were the plan, they would have ordered a bunch of trains at the same time as they were building Flight Force. That ride was such a headbanger that we didn’t want to ride again.

But, yes. I really like those Hyperspace Mtn restraints.

Marc Davis Fan

I'd rather new trains over track. While it isn't the smoothest ride, going with the DLP SM style trains would be a massive upgrade. If we get both, then that'd be great. The old fashioned, horseshoe restraints don't ever feel great.

The DLP SM -style of restraints would be fantastic. They would change the whole ride experience (i.e., changing it from uncomfortable to comfortable!).

trainplane3

The DLP SM -style of restraints would be fantastic. They would change the whole ride experience (i.e., changing it from uncomfortable to comfortable!).
And that's my concern. If this truly is a complete or even a partial track replacement, the old trains will nullify the change. A train swap would be a bigger change to guest satisfaction then changing the track. Smooth or rough, you're still gonna smack your head a few times with the current restraints.

ToTBellHop

And that's my concern. If this truly is a complete or even a partial track replacement, the old trains will nullify the change. A train swap would be a bigger change to guest satisfaction then changing the track. Smooth or rough, you're still gonna smack your head a few times with the current restraints.
I don't even think our track is that rough. Those backpack-style DLP Hyperspace Mtn restraints would make it a joy to ride. There are few things more exhilarating than putting your hands up while upside-down. It's reason #72 why Velocicoaster rocks.

celluloid

Yeah, track needs to be at times worked on, welded and occasionally replaced when a coaster has been around for decades, but the roughness people are speaking of is in line with what ToTBellhop said.

It is how the wheels hug the track and the comfort of the rider in the seat dynamics.

I don't see TDO willing to budget on anything that was not already planned long ago with the quarter budget cuts.

_caleb

Yeah, track needs to be at times worked on, welded and occasionally replaced when a coaster has been around for decades, but the roughness people are speaking of is in line with what ToTBellhop said.

It is how the wheels hug the track and the comfort of the rider in the seat dynamics.
When you worked in roller coaster maintenance, did you often see coaster tracks in the state of Rock’n’Roller Coasters? What components needed attention in order to make the ride smoother for guests?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom