River Ride Ending?

doctornick

So let me ask you this. Do you not think that more AAs, Shanghais POTC ride system, and some level of suspense would have made for a better ride and add more repeatability? Or how about just more AAs. If this is a peaceful journey than I can admit that the ride system may not be "necessary." But I think a few more AAs and a little suspense could have went a long way.

Well, it does have Shanghai's ride system, so I'm not sure your point there. We know that system allows boats to change speeds and direction so I'm actually quite intrigued about how the ride will indeed go. The snapshots we're gotten have all been very small part of the ride (they keep showing the Viperwolf for example) so there's a lot in store that we don't really know about.

Would like have liked more AAs? Sure, absolutely. But I think it's overly dismissive to focus on just that. From the snapshots we've seen, the ride seems packed with physical scenery that is very close and intimate. This isn't a ride where you're just riding along looking at a screen to the side. Between the physical sets, the colors and lights, the potential sounds (will it music? Will it be "animal sounds"? I don't know, but it isn't like Cameron to fail when it comes to ambiance), the interaction between the screen images and the sets plus the moving figures (it has been noted that there will be moving figures during the ride, just not true AAs) -- I think that will all add up to a very unique and engaging experience.

Shanghai's POTC isn't very heavy on AAs either, but the interaction between physical scenes and screens looks very impressive -- no I haven't seen it live, just going on videos -- and I hope/expect NRJ to have similar quality albeit on a smaller scale and, well, just less overall stuff.

Now about having "suspense" or "small thrills" -- Do I think that would have been good? I can say emphatically no, I think this ride should not have thrills or have any standard something goes wrong" or "you are in danger" type story line. Some rides like that are good, but too many is overkill and DAK already is fine with that type of concept -- Everest, Dinosaur, FoP seems like it will have that, etc. What the park really needs is a ride to calmly explore and observe and enjoy and it sounds like that is the exact vibe they are going for with NRJ, not only the ride itself but the apparent buildup in the queue. I'm quite excited for the potential as I love a good ride where I can sit back and just try to take in everything. YMMV of course.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Well, it does have Shanghai's ride system, so I'm not sure your point there. We know that system allows boats to change speeds and direction so I'm actually quite intrigued about how the ride will indeed go. The snapshots we're gotten have all been very small part of the ride (they keep showing the Viperwolf for example) so there's a lot in store that we don't really know about.

Would like have liked more AAs? Sure, absolutely. But I think it's overly dismissive to focus on just that. From the snapshots we've seen, the ride seems packed with physical scenery that is very close and interment. This isn't a ride where you're just riding along looking at a screen to the side. Between the physical sets, the colors and lights, the potential sounds (will it music? Will it be "animal sounds"? I don't know, but it isn't like Cameron to fail when it comes to ambiance), the interaction between the screen images and the sets plus the moving figures (it has been noted that there will be moving figures during the ride, just not true AAs) -- I think that will all add up to a very unique and engaging experience.

Shanghai's POTC isn't very heavy on AAs either, but the interaction between physical scenes and screens looks very impressive -- no I haven't seen it live, just going on videos -- and I hope/expect NRJ to have similar quality albeit on a smaller scale and, well, just less overall stuff.

Now about having "suspense" or "small thrills" -- Do I think that would have been good? I can say emphatically no, I think this ride should not have thrills or have any standard something goes wrong" or "you are in danger" type story line. Some rides like that are good, but too many is overkill and DAK already is fine with that type of concept -- Everest, Dinosaur, FoP seems like it will have that, etc. What the park really needs is a ride to calmly explore and observe and enjoy and it sounds like that is the exact vibe they are going for with NRJ, not only the ride itself but the apparent buildup in the queue. I'm quite excited for the potential as I love a good ride where I can sit back and just try to take in everything. YMMV of course.

I'm also hoping for some of the same sort of integration between sets / AAs / and screen as Shanghais POTC. Well AA ( no s) in this case. Lol.

Take everything in in 4 minutes? If they are going for a nice peaceful jounrney they don't even give you the time to get into your seat and it's time to get out again.

I thought Marni confirmed that it does NOT have Shanghais POTC ride system?

Also I wouldn't say a minor thrill or suspense necessarily plays into the cliche "something goes wrong" narrative. It could just be part of what happens when you re exploring a jungle. It didn't have to be some big over stated moment.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Would like have liked more AAs? Sure, absolutely. But I think it's overly dismissive to focus on just that. From the snapshots we've seen, the ride seems packed with physical scenery that is very close and interment. This isn't a ride where you're just riding along looking at a screen to the side. Between the physical sets, the colors and lights, the potential sounds (will it music? Will it be "animal sounds"? I don't know, but it isn't like Cameron to fail when it comes to ambiance), the interaction between the screen images and the sets plus the moving figures (it has been noted that there will be moving figures during the ride, just not true AAs) -- I think that will all add up to a very unique and engaging experience.

It's less that this ride will lack thrills and more that it will lack variety, the key to any dark ride. This is a very, very short ride which doesn't have much space to develop a variety of environments. Think of a ride of Maelstrom's length but without the abrupt scene changes (presumably).

Someone above said Disney PR is saying the line is part of the ride. A pessimist might point out that that's the kind of thing you say when there isn't a lot to the ride itself.

The reason I'm so negative about this attraction is because on the surface its exactly the sort of ride I want Disney (and Universal) to build. An atmospheric dark ride through fully realized environments with complex AA figures? Awesome! But its only a bit longer than Peter Pan and there's only one figure? Dagnabit.

mickEblu

It's less that this ride will lack thrills and more that it will lack variety, the key to any dark ride. This is a very, very short ride which doesn't have much space to develop a variety of environments. Think of a ride of Maelstrom's length but without the abrupt scene changes (presumably).

Someone above said Disney PR is saying the line is part of the ride. A pessimist might point out that that's the kind of thing you say when there isn't a lot to the ride itself.

The reason I'm so negative about this attraction is because on the surface its exactly the sort of ride I want Disney (and Universal) to build. An atmospheric dark ride through fully realized environments with complex AA figures? Awesome! But its only a bit longer than Peter Pan and there's only one figure? Dagnabit.

Yes Variety is a good way to put it.

As someone who works in Change management (sort of kind of like internal marketing) that is exactly what I thought when I hear them say the queue is part of the ride ( on a 4 minute ride). It's an attempt to level set expectations.

TrojanUSC

The ride system, if I understand correctly, is the same one as the Pirates ride for Shanghai which is pretty unique as it allows the boats to change speeds and rotate to "point" to different spots. It would be the first ever use of the ride system in WDW and, for that matter, domestically.

Now, I think people get far too obsessed with unique or novel ride systems -- it's how the system is used and whether it properly works for the goal of the ride -- but for anyone who wants to see new experiences come to WDW, NRJ actually fulfills that (and FoP FWIW).

:rolleyes:

Sorry, but I think that is such a silly criticism. For starters, "minor thrills" like small drops add virtually nothing to a ride experience. I know people get hung up on the drops in POTC, but I've always felt that the ride would really be any different without them.

Regardless, even if you feel that "minor thrill" was valuable in general, it certainly shouldn't be needed for every ride. This ride is supposed to be a calm, relaxing exploration. It's good to have a variety of ride experiences and FoP adds enough "thrill" for the land, especially given how virtually all of the existing rides at DAK have significant motion/thrill elements already.

Sorry but you're wrong. It adds a mild element of excitement to the experience. Tell your theory to the often 30-60 minute queue for Maelstrom when that existed compared to the Mexico boat ride. People like a minor thrill. Promise you that if small world had even a minor drop it would be infinitely more popular than it is. Just human nature.

Oriolesmagic

Nothing I've seen or heard says it's the Shanghai ride system. I'd be surprised if it is.
Not trying to be pessimistic but I'm a little surprised that people were expecting/assuming that in the first place. It's been pretty clear from the beginning that this is going to be C-ticket attraction and, frankly, there's nothing wrong with that.

cjkeating

I think this is one of those things that has been speculated about so much that people have started to take it as fact without actually having any confirmation.

I believe some of the pictures of the 'trough' that were seen from aerials during construction were said to be similar/the same as the Shanghai PotC system.

Alektronic

Not trying to be pessimistic but I'm a little surprised that people were expecting/assuming that in the first place. It's been pretty clear from the beginning that this is going to be C-ticket attraction and, frankly, there's nothing wrong with that.

When WDI refers to something as a C-ticket or an E-ticket, they are talking about the ride system itself, not the entire attraction.

RSoxNo1

When WDI refers to something as a C-ticket or an E-ticket, they are talking about the ride system itself, not the entire attraction.
Interesting. Would capacity play into that?

Internally the boat ride was always considered a C and the simulator an E. Is it safe to assume then that many of us on here would consider the boat ride a D or even an E?

cjkeating

I wonder if there was ever a longer version of the boat ride? I don't know why anyone would say "let's design a 4 minute boat ride" when the standard is 8-10 minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom