River Ride Ending?

mickEblu

Maybe they're baking something other than a cake.

Edit:

Getting closer! It's fine to have opinions, but you made yours a declarative statement that it had "so much missed potential." That's like judging a movie experience purely from a trailer.

The problem with your analogy is that they need to make the trailer look good so one goes and sees the movie. In this case because it's Disney and I expect great things from them I will ride the ride even though it appears as if it might not be as strong as it could have been. I guess I could have said I **feel** or it **looks like*** so much missed potential but based off of the description and "trailor" if you will, I don't have very high expectations. I suspect that most riders or at least "super fans" will probably come to the same conclusion - prediction that I have. Beautiful but boring.

andre85

The problem with your analogy is that they need to make the trailer look good so one goes and sees the movie. In this case because it's Disney and I expect great things from them I will ride the ride even though it appears as if it might not be as strong as it could have been. I guess I could have said I **feel** or it **looks like*** so much missed potential but based off of the description and "trailor" if you will, I don't have very high expectations. I suspect that most riders or at least "super fans" will probably come to the same conclusion - prediction that I have. Beautiful but boring.

If it takes a drop or a catchy song to make a ride not "boring," then the original Epcot was largely a giant failure.

They're doing something different with the River Adventure, and different can sometimes be a very good thing. Maybe it'll end up boring? But I'm willing to give them the chance of riding it first before thinking I have enough information to judge the experience.

mickEblu

If it takes a drop or a catchy song to make a ride not "boring," then the original Epcot was largely a giant failure.

They're doing something different with the River Adventure, and different can sometimes be a very good thing. Maybe it'll end up boring? But I'm willing to give them the chance of riding it first before thinking I have enough information to judge the experience.

Well thats not what I said though is it? A drop or catchy song may not make sense for this ride but the thrill or suspense factor could have came from a more unique ride system or maybe a brush with one of those panther things. And sorry there's just no excuse for there only being one AA. With all of the exotic creatures in Pandora it would have been nice to see a few (other than on a screen). Especially with Flight of Passage being a screen ride.

My point was that on paper it seems like an ingredient or two is missing and that it solely being beautiful may not be enough to compensate for that. It just feels like they cut some corners on this ride and it's unfortunate because it could have been a fantastic E ticket. Bioilluminicent river adventure in the dark? It could have blown people away. I'm just imagining it as the Stateside version of Shangais POTC. As it sounds I'm sure it ll be a nice cute C ticket but not a MUST DO after the first few rides. Anyway I'm hoping for the best but when insiders call it a C ticket it's really all I need to hear.

Let me try to say it one other way. The concept for this ride is so great that they shouldn't have settled for less than an E ticket.

Last edited:

Capsin4

An E ticket can be child friendly. POTC, HM etc
I like the way this land is looking, but this ride does seem to have the potential to not quite but the mark. My best hope for it with what little we've seen is that it will be nice like 7dmt even if it feels like something is missing.

Capsin4

Copy and pasting from another post but ...

The concept for this ride is so great that they shouldn't have settled for less than an E ticket.
Yeah. I don't have much use for the letter system outside of E. There's not much of a frame of reference that people seem to be able to agree on outside of E being the best. The original system was even convoluted. Snow White and Peter Pan were C while IASW and crockett canoes were a D. This looks to easily surpass those IMO. How long are those rides in comparison?

doctornick

Am I missing something here? No unique ride system?

The ride system, if I understand correctly, is the same one as the Pirates ride for Shanghai which is pretty unique as it allows the boats to change speeds and rotate to "point" to different spots. It would be the first ever use of the ride system in WDW and, for that matter, domestically.

Now, I think people get far too obsessed with unique or novel ride systems -- it's how the system is used and whether it properly works for the goal of the ride -- but for anyone who wants to see new experiences come to WDW, NRJ actually fulfills that (and FoP FWIW).

I think most of us would love to see more AAs, but the ride does apparently have multiple moving figures. But it seems that the real catch will be how the lush physical sets are integrated with the (seemingly) effective video in the background. I don't think anyone expects an experience as enthralling as Shanghai's POTC but this should have many of the same impressive elements, albeit in smaller doses.

No drops or minor thrills?

:rolleyes:

Sorry, but I think that is such a silly criticism. For starters, "minor thrills" like small drops add virtually nothing to a ride experience. I know people get hung up on the drops in POTC, but I've always felt that the ride would really be any different without them.

Regardless, even if you feel that "minor thrill" was valuable in general, it certainly shouldn't be needed for every ride. This ride is supposed to be a calm, relaxing exploration. It's good to have a variety of ride experiences and FoP adds enough "thrill" for the land, especially given how virtually all of the existing rides at DAK have significant motion/thrill elements already.

No catchy song?

Do we even know what the sound will be during the ride? How could you make this claim? Certainly, the shorter ride time will impact how much of a tune could be used, but I'd expect at least some interesting music -- and with a long extended queue being part of the experience, maybe we'll get some noteworthy music there?

I mean, I love a great song for a ride (I think it can really enhance it) but there are other ways to entertain.

No grand finale?

You've ridden it? From what has been said, I'm under the impression that the encounter with the shaman is a "grand finale". Whether it appeals to everyone remains to be seen.

I mean it looks amazing but it's sounding like it could be a bit boring with not very much repeatability factor.

Based on the brief looks we've gotten, it seems to me that the ride path is packed with details. It's very full and intimate and is probably the kind of ride you need to keep going on to see lots of new small things each time.

We'll see, but I personally find it odd that some could see the footage that has been released and not be intrigued or curious for more. Yes, I'd love for the ride to be a longer experience but I'm excited for what it will be.

Casper Gutman

I like the way this land is looking, but this ride does seem to have the potential to not quite but the mark. My best hope for it with what little we've seen is that it will be nice like 7dmt even if it feels like something is missing.

The problem is (and correct me if I'm wrong on anything here) this land cost over a billion dollars and has two rides - one of which is the shortest boat ride Disney has ever created (I believe I'm correct in saying its shorter than Maelstrom). 7dmt, while a bit of a disappointment, is in a land with 8 or 9 rides.

Capsin4

The problem is (and correct me if I'm wrong on anything here) this land cost over a billion dollars and has two rides - one of which is the shortest boat ride Disney has ever created (I believe I'm correct in saying its shorter than Maelstrom
The problem is (and correct me if I'm wrong on anything here) this land cost over a billion dollars and has two rides - one of which is the shortest boat ride Disney has ever created (I believe I'm correct in saying its shorter than Maelstrom). 7dmt, while a bit of a disappointment, is in a land with 8 or 9 rides.
Sounds right. I think Maelstrom is about 4.5 while SM and 7dmt are 2.5 or less.

). 7dmt, while a bit of a disappointment, is in a land with 8 or 9 rides.

mickEblu

The ride system, if I understand correctly, is the same one as the Pirates ride for Shanghai which is pretty unique as it allows the boats to change speeds and rotate to "point" to different spots. It would be the first ever use of the ride system in WDW and, for that matter, domestically.

Now, I think people get far too obsessed with unique or novel ride systems -- it's how the system is used and whether it properly works for the goal of the ride -- but for anyone who wants to see new experiences come to WDW, NRJ actually fulfills that (and FoP FWIW).

I think most of us would love to see more AAs, but the ride does apparently have multiple moving figures. But it seems that the real catch will be how the lush physical sets are integrated with the (seemingly) effective video in the background. I don't think anyone expects an experience as enthralling as Shanghai's POTC but this should have many of the same impressive elements, albeit in smaller doses.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, but I think that is such a silly criticism. For starters, "minor thrills" like small drops add virtually nothing to a ride experience. I know people get hung up on the drops in POTC, but I've always felt that the ride would really be any different without them.

Regardless, even if you feel that "minor thrill" was valuable in general, it certainly shouldn't be needed for every ride. This ride is supposed to be a calm, relaxing exploration. It's good to have a variety of ride experiences and FoP adds enough "thrill" for the land, especially given how virtually all of the existing rides at DAK have significant motion/thrill elements already.

Do we even know what the sound will be during the ride? How could you make this claim? Certainly, the shorter ride time will impact how much of a tune could be used, but I'd expect at least some interesting music -- and with a long extended queue being part of the experience, maybe we'll get some noteworthy music there?

I mean, I love a great song for a ride (I think it can really enhance it) but there are other ways to entertain.

You've ridden it? From what has been said, I'm under the impression that the encounter with the shaman is a "grand finale". Whether it appeals to everyone remains to be seen.

Based on the brief looks we've gotten, it seems to me that the ride path is packed with details. It's very full and intimate and is probably the kind of ride you need to keep going on to see lots of new small things each time.

We'll see, but I personally find it odd that some could see the footage that has been released and not be intrigued or curious for more. Yes, I'd love for the ride to be a longer experience but I'm excited for what it will be.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. The list I wrote down in my original post in this thread was a knee jerk reaction to my feeling that there are few things missing from this attraction. I did not think that all of them applied to this ride. Specifically the catchy song. I was pointing out that no matter which route or story line they chose for this attraction, at least 2 of the 5 factors I listed could have applied and made the ride better. I don't even think their needs to be a story line. My perfect version of the ride ( in its C ticket iteration) would of went something like this. BEAUTIFUL> MORE BEAUTIFUL and small AAs > EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL and large AAs > MYSTERIOUS> (Not everything is what it seems, what lurking in the dark?) >DANGER (drop getting away from panther or something) > MAGICAL (Finale with Shaman).

I have to disagree with you on the minor thrills. Does every ride need them? No. But I think they would have added something to this ride. And I beg to differ. I always look forward to the drops on pirates and I think they add a lot. Aside from the thrill, they act as a nice transition from the bayou into the caverns and world of the Pirates. (Im from So Cal)

So let me ask you this. Do you not think that more AAs, Shanghais POTC ride system, and some level of suspense would have made for a better ride and add more repeatability? Or how about just more AAs. If this is a peaceful journey than I can admit that the ride system may not be "necessary." But I think a few more AAs and a little suspense could have went a long way.

Lastly, I am intrigued and I am looking forward to riding it. But sadly, I have a feeling my prediction will be pretty accurate.

mickEblu

Yeah. I don't have much use for the letter system outside of E. There's not much of a frame of reference that people seem to be able to agree on outside of E being the best. The original system was even convoluted. Snow White and Peter Pan were C while IASW and crockett canoes were a D. This looks to easily surpass those IMO. How long are those rides in comparison?

Good Point.

Snow White is about 3 minutes and Pan is 2 minutes I believe. IASW is around 10? Not sure about the canoes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom