River Country Area Rumor

2gether

Original Poster
I am a frequent lurker and rare poster. I have read all the rumors and remember a page with drawings etc. of the River Country site but I cannot find the thread so I am posting new. Please do not blast: I am only reporting what I heard and saw.

Last week I did a fishing cruise on Bay lake. It was frigid cold and we didn't catch many fish, but the guide was a nice guy who has been working at Disney for almost 20 years.

On the way back he took us past Discovery Island and the River Country site. I noticed there were a number of stakes driven into the water in a semi-circular pattern (very similar to the drawings of a building I had seen on this site). When I asked him what they were, he said there had been some folks out putting those stakes in the water a few weeks ago. He had a chance to talk to the people and they said there were plans to put a new resort in the area and they were doing a site survey. Apparently the resort would include an "over-water building" of some type.

He also said he parks in the River Country lot and has been informed that his parking arrangements "will be changing within 6 months".

There was a lot more but most of it was speculation. The stakes in the water were brightly colored and obviously not extremely old: they had streamer paper on them which wasn't badly discolored.

I know the old adage about listening to cast members, but unless this guy put the stakes with streamers in the water himself, in the same general area as the prints I had seen on this site, well....I will let you be the judge. I for one now believe there is something going on at or near the RC site. Wish I had taken a pic but it was just too cold and it was a brief moment.

S

stphnbogert

Well I'm going to blast this rumor!!!! Haha. Just kidding. Does sound very interesting. Hope it is true. I would like to see Discovery Island and River Country being used. It's sad when Disney doesn't use something thats there (i.e. pavilions) lol.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for the report.

There has certainly been a lot of chatter about this area in recent times, probably too much to ignore. I think at this point it's probably safe to say it's being very seriously looked at for a new development.

Buried20KLeague

I am a frequent lurker and rare poster. I have read all the rumors and remember a page with drawings etc. of the River Country site but I cannot find the thread so I am posting new. Please do not blast: I am only reporting what I heard and saw.

Last week I did a fishing cruise on Bay lake. It was frigid cold and we didn't catch many fish, but the guide was a nice guy who has been working at Disney for almost 20 years.

On the way back he took us past Discovery Island and the River Country site. I noticed there were a number of stakes driven into the water in a semi-circular pattern (very similar to the drawings of a building I had seen on this site). When I asked him what they were, he said there had been some folks out putting those stakes in the water a few weeks ago. He had a chance to talk to the people and they said there were plans to put a new resort in the area and they were doing a site survey. Apparently the resort would include an "over-water building" of some type.

He also said he parks in the River Country lot and has been informed that his parking arrangements "will be changing within 6 months".

There was a lot more but most of it was speculation. The stakes in the water were brightly colored and obviously not extremely old: they had streamer paper on them which wasn't badly discolored.

I know the old adage about listening to cast members, but unless this guy put the stakes with streamers in the water himself, in the same general area as the prints I had seen on this site, well....I will let you be the judge. I for one now believe there is something going on at or near the RC site. Wish I had taken a pic but it was just too cold and it was a brief moment.

:fork::mad:

Just kiddin'. :D

This rumor is really starting to grow legs. It's in Disney's best interest to always have a new property to sell DVC into... The money they make is immediate (compared to hotels) and they make a TON. As an example, I saw somewhere that someone added up the total points available in the BLT, and multiplied that number times the per point cost... Disney makes something like $700,000,000 selling out the BLT building. :eek: THEN... After they sell the building out, they charge those same people for the cost of running the building!!!

If I could build a building and know that it was going to make that kind of cash and then have zero operating cost to me for 50 YEARS???? You can bet that I'd always have one on the horizon ready to go. I believe that's what we're seeing here.

Donfan

DVC has not officially announced anything past the current Aulani Resort in Hawaii. At least I have received no information in any of their publications.

Pioneer Hall

DVC has not officially announced anything past the current Aulani Resort in Hawaii. At least I have received no information in any of their publications.

They also didn't officially announce Bay Lake Tower until the construction was well underway, and I see that trend continuing as long as they still have a good amount of inventory to sell at Saratoga and Animal Kingdom. There is no question that BLT will be selling out soon (they are pushing it ahead of everything else). Before they start selling a new resort (which will probably have a good number of units), they are going to want to chip away at their already available inventory before it becomes more obsolete. So, I would expect this project to be well underway before they announce it and sell it...if they are doing this anyway.

MissM

They also didn't officially announce Bay Lake Tower until the construction was well underway...
Yeah ain't that the truth! It was like, ignore the large building going up over there! nothing to see!! for over a year it seemed. Heck, I remember a CM telling me that "bloggers" were spreading rumors about the site when it was being cleared but she knew it wasn't going to be a resort there. Ha!

joe80x86

Well I'm going to blast this rumor!!!! Haha. Just kidding. Does sound very interesting. Hope it is true. I would like to see Discovery Island and River Country being used. It's sad when Disney doesn't use something thats there (i.e. pavilions) lol.

I wouldn't mind seeing the land put to use either, but I really don't think WDW needs another resort or more DVC.

Disneyfanman

I've heard the DVC rumor from multiple sources but it's hard to tell if they are confirmations or coming from the same original source. I really don't think WDW needs another resort right now, but it would be nice to see FW gain capacity or amenities.

jmmc

I'm not a person who thinks Disney needs a fifth park, or needs to constantly expand the parks... BUT, if you continue to make more and more hotels and don't add any new attractions or destinations, eventually all we will get is more and more crowded parks. That's probably good from a business perspective, but there's a point where the huge crowds make you want to stay away.

S

stphnbogert

I wouldn't mind seeing the land put to use either, but I really don't think WDW needs another resort or more DVC.

they dont need it but it would be nice. i think they should use whatever is already built and make it better before they even think of new construction.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm not a person who thinks Disney needs a fifth park, or needs to constantly expand the parks... BUT, if you continue to make more and more hotels and don't add any new attractions or destinations, eventually all we will get is more and more crowded parks. That's probably good from a business perspective, but there's a point where the huge crowds make you want to stay away.
Yes and no. At present if all the resorts were at maximum capacity and every guest went to either MK or Epcot neither park would reach a even phase one closing. The majority of guests stay off property.

pumpkin7

ah, it's nice to see they might be doing something with river country, although the pictures of it now look facinating. it's sad to see it rotting though. lots of stuff changing at disney at the moment!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom