Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can cut lines at Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammymouse

I have the perfect solution...TDO needs to build more attractions (and fix up the broken/closed ones) and VOILA! the lines are magically thinned out and shorter!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And honestly, as some one else pointed out, this woman is stupid for spending $130 an hour for a disabled guide just to get her to the front of the line when she could rent a wheelchair for a week for half the price of an hour. If she really thought that was a quicker way to get on, which it really isn't. Which means the story is probably sensationalized (Post) and just another reason to end this discussion.

This is the main reason I called BS on this story. I think it's at least embellished and possibly totally made up.

luv

I still havent read why the GAC allows unlimited front of the line access all day? Why can't the GAC card allow a person with the health issue to "check in" at the ride and wait somewhere else? They can come back and ride when they would have normally by standing in the line. One ride per GAC card at a time and they get to use the Fastpass system like everyone else. Would that not be equal access for all and cut down on the abuse? Or is everyone that gets a GAC card entitled to unlimited front of the line all day?
It doesn't. It puts you in the FP line, which is why people go in and tell the staff to give them one.

bsiev1977

This is the main reason I called BS on this story. I think it's at least embellished and possibly totally made up.
Right. Like others said earlier in the thread. The "social anthropologist" lady who is behind this story is writing a book. I think she's using peoples' dislike of the wealthy to inflame that social divide, in order to sell her story.

copcarguyp71

I still havent read why the GAC allows unlimited front of the line access all day? Why can't the GAC card allow a person with the health issue to "check in" at the ride and wait somewhere else? They can come back and ride when they would have normally by standing in the line. One ride per GAC card at a time and they get to use the Fastpass system like everyone else. Would that not be equal access for all and cut down on the abuse? Or is everyone that gets a GAC card entitled to unlimited front of the line all day?

Hoooray for common sense...sadly it seldom wins out:oops:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Myself, being a member of the 99%, am going to OCCUPY!

occupyDisneyWorldSnowWhite.jpg

copcarguyp71

If it is made up then why does the travel agency exist that they reference and why are these "travel services" alluded to on their website. While I agree that the details of the story seem to have been muddied a bit I think there is some truth at the core of it and the entirety of the story cannot be entirely dismissed...of course 10 pages of this thread have muddied things as well.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If it is made up then why does the travel agency exist that they reference and why are these "travel services" alluded to on their website. While I agree that the details of the story seem to have been muddied a bit I think there is some truth at the core of it and the entirety of the story cannot be entirely dismissed...of course 10 pages of this thread have muddied things as well.

Well, there are other agencies that offer "travel services"...like <ahem> massages.

Why not disabled for hire services?

<runs away quickly>

FigmentsFangirl

My personal thought on this topic: Being rich does not President Make. It just makes you look really snooty and stupid.

In this case, you are not the president Mrs-I'm-a-rich-Manhattan-resident-that-can-afford-a-three-million-dollar-a-month-home, you cannot go on a ride without a line, get back into reality please. {On a side note my parents saw President Jimmy Carter and his kids get on Mad Tea Party back in the late 1970s I think it was, entire ride was closed off for their duration before reopening to the rest of the guests}

I'll shut up on this topic now :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I have no idea if its true or not. Wouldn't the travel agency just recommend people get their own wheelchair instead of touring the parks with the people? The math doesn't quite add up for me and the fact that the writer of the story is writing a book that would greatly benefit from the publicity from the story makes me suspicious. It's just my opinion.

PhotoDave219

It doesnt sound made up. Embellished by the sources, probably.

But based on people I've talked to and conversing with other regular park guests, We're not shocked nor surprised. In fact, I'm surprised it doesnt happen more often.

loboftbl

Because it is a nice thing to do for people who are very sick or have a lot of pain and can only stay in the parks for a few hours. Lets them do as much as possible.

Make-a-wish kids do get to go right to the front of the line. Also a nice thing.

There lies the problem. Everyone feels they are entitled to a higher level of service because of "x" problem/issue. It isnt enough to make it equal access it needs to be superior access. That creates massive amounts of abuse as evidenced on my last three trips to WDW. I don't get to do everything I want as much as I would like on my vacation, why is my vacation less important? On a side note, I have no problem with Make A Wish, does Disney not provide assistance through the parks for those guests(If not they should)?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well..... Given the circumstances, its the right thing to do.

Yep. Make a wish does a lot of great things with Disney and a lot of kids end up wishing to go to WDW. They absolutely should get to go to the front of the line. Sorry for the thread drift, but if anyone is interested, here's a little story of a wish granted relating to Disney. Although it was not a trip to WDW I think it's pretty cool that the kid got to see some of the new technology the Imagineers were working on for FLE last spring:

http://philadelphia.wish.org/2012/07/03/i-wish-to-meet-the-disney-imagineers/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom