Review of new Potter Land

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not a Star Wars fan, but if they build it, DHS is totally the place for it.

I agree that Avatar, which it seems they're hell-bent on building, will need to be taken for what it is and not compared to Harry Potter. I, personally, have mostly given up hope on my beloved AK at this point and am just hoping they don't completely ruin the park.
If you want to see the glass half full, when Avatar opens and everyone runs there to see it at rope drop you will have the rest of the park to yourself;). The night show and nighttime safari should be nice adds too.

DisneyWall-E

Really looking forward to seeing the new Potter land. Now even more than ever.
Also, is it bad that my only expectation for Avatar land is that it wont suck. From all the rumors I have read not really looking forward to the new ride(s).
But before you call me a Doom and Gloomer, I do hope I am vary wrong about this.

IndianaJones

Diagon matches the standard, blows by at at 100 miles per hour, and keeps driving until Hogsmeade is a speck in the rearview mirror.

Diagon will be head and shoulders above anything we see in Orlando.
Waiting for this stuff keeps getting harder when you guys post stuff like this. Universal hasn't done anything recently to make me doubt them so my anticipation is sky high!

twebber55

once again we need to think DCA makeover when it comes to DAK....

the worst thing about Pandora will be the mobs of people we ll have to deal with at night

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
They've been announcing some of the merch and it all sounds so neat. Can't believe all the new Harry Potter specific stuff they are going to have to buy. I need more money!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Do you have a link to that announcement?

it's coming out in bits and pieces at the event they are having this weekend no press release yet. You have to kinda sift though the fans/bloggers at the event. Here are 3 items previewed for Weasley's it starts about 3:00 mark.

In the various videos they have named lots of items but not shown them yet.

They also list a few things on the website descriptions, I've seen listed on the official website, death eater masks, skulls, extendable ears, quidditch sweaters for the 4 houses, and many of the teams mentioned in the books, Golden Snitches, other Quiddich balls and supplies, Time Turners, Mythical creature stuffed animals, skiving snack boxes, decoy detonators, fanged flyers, boxing telescopes, character costumes (listed separate then robes/uniforms). There are more listed but I think they may be available already in Hogsmeade or not sure if they are adding new items, like the vague house inspired jewelry.

lazyboy97o

still trying to equate popularity of IP to quality of theme park product
It is more about Disney's reaction afterwards. I just do not see a scenario where fans of themed entertainment actually win. It is either a success and Disney is further convinced that franchises are what is important or it bombs (especially in terms of merchandise sales) and Disney is again convinced that going big is a bad idea.

matt9112

I would say the same but the info about Avatar is less then exciting. Who knows????

avatar land as a whole sounds exciting...bringing Pandora to the table also sounds exciting what worry's me is that early information provided by @marni1971 shows the apparent E ticket attraction as a projection based soaring on steroids....and the idea itself i have no issues with but to anchor a new land and to compete? i will hold judgement until completion and may i only hope that there is some real pixy dust in the pipeline because the is universals 80s.

the harry potter expansion aside the rumors swirling for the entire property are huge (new JP ,return of kong, more resorts after cabana) plus theres the finer details that many may overlook.

dennis-in-ct

We had a chance to visit USO and the Harry Potter section last May. Our primary focus was Disney but we could not pass up a chance to see Hogsmeade. The Harry Potter section was so impressive and the lunch at Three Broomsticks with Butterbeer is still something we talk about. How the drink continued to regenerate foam was simply magical. I am glad my first butterbeer experience was during a sit-down lunch. if I had ordered the drink at the stand and walked around with my cup, I think I would have drank it too fast and thereby missing it's magical foam regeneration. So magically and yummy. The drink offered at Gaston's Tavern at Disney's new Fantasyland could not compare. Butterbeer collectively blew our group away !!

The merchandise offered was a disappointment. Living in Connecticut we often visit New York and we were lucky enough to visit the Harry Potter Exhibit in Times Square. I really wish this was on permanent display at Universal. The whole experience with the sorting hat was cool. The exhibit was so well done and worth the effort. The merchandise at the end of the tour I thought offered more variety and was more interesting than what I saw in the shops. That really surprised me.

The ride - Forbidden Journey. Towards the end I was thinking "ok ... enough ... tone it down" I walked off a bit nauseas and felt the motion was pushed a bit too far. The repeatability factor was not there for me whereas on SOARIN at Disney, there is a comfort level and the experience is enjoyable. If the main e-ticket for Pandora is a hyped-up SOARIN than I am fine with that ride system. Disney is good at creating an exciting ride experience that is comfortable. Family friendly - so grandpa can take his grandchild on the ride and share the experience. Universal needs to learn that more motion is not always better. Forbidden Journey had so much going for it and we all howled with delight at the beginning of the ride. It was a more thrilling feeling than SOARNIN. The set pieces and everything was amazing. The part of the ride that made me uncomfortable was the Whomping Tree. Or - at least by that point in the ride I had enough. The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman is a good example of thrilling and comfortable motion that makes me want to ride it again immediately.

I think Pandora's e-ticket ride based on SOARIN will be amazing and can anchor the land. I am glad to read that the GRINGOTS ride will n=be more family friendly. Universal needs that I think. Or at least that is what I hope for.

I do have a question of the Hogswart Train ride. I read somewhere that the ride experience would use the same technology as the KONG ride at the California universal park. Is this true? I am envisioning the "windows" of the train being HD monitors and the train cabins to have some motion-based platform where the riders can have some thrilling adventure. THAT would be cool. Can't wait to revisit Universal after Diagon Alley opens. And I wish they Poseidon attraction in the Lost Continent section would be reworked into a Chamber of Secrets experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom