Retiring to WDW

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
A lot of people want to work, but are not in it for the money. Does Disney have a volunteer program? A quick google search didn't turn up anything. Seems like an opportunity for cheap/free labor. Also would make for some better working conditions for the volunteers.
Liability. And can you imagine the enmity volunteers would engender from the paid staff?

A close friend of our family retired 10 years ago and moved to Windermere. He has a beautiful home,located on a lake. He plays the accordion at the German buffet in Epcot. He complains that his hours get cut every year. Now that he's 65, he plans on retiring from Disney.

thomas998

Traffic lights are as plentiful as great, big palmetto bugs (flying roaches) and the state is being overrun by invasive species (pythons, green iguanas, lionfish, giant african snails, cuban tree frogs).

You left off the worst invasive species - New Yorkers.... At least that was the feeling I had when I lived in South Florida, New Yorkers with the same attitude they had in New York only they brought it to Florida where everyone else is trying to live a little more relaxed and laid back life... At least that was what I recalled being the case in the 80's.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You left off the worst invasive species - New Yorkers.... At least that was the feeling I had when I lived in South Florida, New Yorkers with the same attitude they had in New York only they brought it to Florida where everyone else is trying to live a little more relaxed and laid back life... At least that was what I recalled being the case in the 80's.
I was hesitant to mention New Yorkers as I myself was not a native Floridian. But since you mention them, there's also New Jerseyites, Michiganians, and Canadien.

Tony the Tigger

I was hesitant to mention New Yorkers as I myself was not a native Floridian. But since you mention them, there's also New Jerseyites, Michiganians, and Canadien.

...which is why it feels like home and not like "the South." (I'm from NJ.)

Phonedave

If you know what you are getting into, than you will be successful. The thing is, working retail is a far different thing than shopping retail. Working retail, or any low pay customer service job, requires great humility. Otherwise, it will be humiliating. Add to that the physical toll of standing all day, often in the heat, and you make it a challenge for many/most older people.

Very true. I worked retail at Kmart for several years; it wasn't much fun. But I always say that however lousy the job is, the best way to rise above it is to do the best job you can at it.

All through high school and college I worked retail. Specifically a grocery store. There was nothing in that store that I did not do. Produce, Deli, Frozen, Dairy, Grocery, Front End, subbing for department managers when they were on vacation, and occassionaly (even though it was not allowed becuase they were a different union) I would help the the butchers out - easy stuff like london broils and ground beef)

Back then it was a load of fun. I also used to enjoy things like construction work and manual labor. Maybe it is age speaking, or maybe I have just gone "soft" but I really have no desire to anything ilke that at all when I retire. Heck, I just spent this Sunday in 90 degree heat, sitting in mud, under my pool deck replacing a skimmer and associated piping. About two hours into it my thoughts were "this is a pain, I should just pay somone to do this" Of ourse I did it myself, because that's just how I am, but when I am retired, I really plan on enjoying myself (travel, shows, etc) and not being tied to work and maintaining a house.

Otterhead

Heck, I just spent this Sunday in 90 degree heat, sitting in mud, under my pool deck replacing a skimmer and associated piping.
When it's mid-winter here in New England, it's very easy to fantasize about warm tropical days in Florida.

But on a day like today, when it's 95 degrees and I just had to build a set of stairs outdoors, I know I wouldn't last through one summer if I 'retired' to work at WDW.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
There are some BEAUTIFUL retirement centers around the area... My family used to perform cabaret shows in a few of them and they were basically like beautiful resorts for old people. It's nice.

rob0519

On of the few jobs I could ever see myself doing at WDW after retirement is a greeter at the Grand Floridian. I don't even want to imagine working QS or retail at that age.

Driver

Just my 2 cents but I agree with the general consensus " I do it for the fun"
I retired young (51) and working at WDW was on my bucket list. It has been a fun and rewarding experience. It doesn't matter where you are there will be problems, I look at the positive and move on. I look forward to my shift, I anticipate it like most do a park visit. The other plus is I get to see tons of backstage that most people can only wonder about. This really intrigues me as I like to know how things work. It has not ruined "the magic" . Another plus is my interactions with the guest, what a great feeling to be able to make someone smile. Often with just a simple nice greeting. I was a guest like most of you once and I know what it feels like when it dawns on you " oh yeah we gotta go home" . I know I'm blessed I get to stay and play and for that I'm thankful.

HauntedMansionFLA

Just my 2 cents but I agree with the general consensus " I do it for the fun"
I retired young (51) and working at WDW was on my bucket list. It has been a fun and rewarding experience. It doesn't matter where you are there will be problems, I look at the positive and move on. I look forward to my shift, I anticipate it like most do a park visit. The other plus is I get to see tons of backstage that most people can only wonder about. This really intrigues me as I like to know how things work. It has not ruined "the magic" . Another plus is my interactions with the guest, what a great feeling to be able to make someone smile. Often with just a simple nice greeting. I was a guest like most of you once and I know what it feels like when it dawns on you " oh yeah we gotta go home" . I know I'm blessed I get to stay and play and for that I'm thankful.
Thank you for your post. It sounds like you have the right attitude each day. What areas are good to live in? Are the gated communities the way to go? We are looking for safe areas.

Driver

Gated are good some have restrictions you may want to check them before you commit. In general we have found south west and east of the parks to be awesome nice places. Well kept communities for the most part. We are in Davenport about 6 miles from the parks as the crow flies. Very nice, I have some CM friends who live in this area as well. North of the parks closer to Orlando are much more densely populated and "city like" not my cup of tea I lean more toward rural. It can be difficult moving to a new area , you don't always have the luxury of road testing it.

Debbie

I just want to fulfill my dream of working there for a summer----I hold a passenger CDL and thought it would be nice to drive a Disney bus during summer break.....and I looked into it and it's not going to happen....I was so disappointed. WDW is always looking for drivers so maybe one day if I retire I can relocate for a bit to do this

Princess Kaylee

At one point I was very interested in the Disney College Program, but we went to Disney my senior year of high school and I changed my mind. It was one hundred and two degrees and the cast members looked miserable. We talked to a girl who was working in Animal Kingdom and she described how much she missed her family and regretted enrolling in the Disney College Program. I concluded that I would much rather go to work and travel to WDW once or twice a year. I think the heat and the rude guests can truly ruin Disney for even the biggest fans. It's just something to think about before you make such a drastic transition.

Driver

I just want to fulfill my dream of working there for a summer----I hold a passenger CDL and thought it would be nice to drive a Disney bus during summer break.....and I looked into it and it's not going to happen....I was so disappointed. WDW is always looking for drivers so maybe one day if I retire I can relocate for a bit to do this
The training is six weeks CDL or not. By the time you have your interview, health check, etc etc. the summer could be over by the time your able to actually drive a bus on your own. But you are correct they are always looking for drivers. I had been checking that out for 2 yrs. before I finally took the plunge. And no regrets I love it!!!

Tony the Tigger

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you have the right attitude each day. What areas are good to live in? Are the gated communities the way to go? We are looking for safe areas.

I know a few cast members who live in Clermont, which is also where one of our fave off-property hotels is located. It's a short, easy drive (a few miles) but a quieter area. It's west of WDW.

Debbie

The training is six weeks CDL or not. By the time you have your interview, health check, etc etc. the summer could be over by the time your able to actually drive a bus on your own. But you are correct they are always looking for drivers. I had been checking that out for 2 yrs. before I finally took the plunge. And no regrets I love it!!!

That is the whole issue. I would have to establish residency, surrender my Louisiana CDL, obtain Florida CDL, train etc and then turn around and get my Louisiana CDL back in time for the beginning of school, which is Aug 10 this year. I'm not giving up my current gig; my health benefits are $15 per month

Driver

That is the whole issue. I would have to establish residency, surrender my Louisiana CDL, obtain Florida CDL, train etc and then turn around and get my Louisiana CDL back in time for the beginning of school, which is Aug 10 this year. I'm not giving up my current gig; my health benefits are $15 per month
Yeah there just isn't enough time to pull that off ...... plus if you did manage to do all that then you would have to quit right when your getting into it. That would be devestating !! As much as it's calling you, you're right they are always looking for good drivers. Make sure your driving record is clean they DO NOT tolerate anything beyond a parking ticket. Disney is all about safety which should be good news to the guest that ride the busses. They check you out up and down background checks etc. etc. I welcome it .... I have nothing to hide and everyone is playing by the same rules. Bring it on!! Good luck maybe I will see you behind the wheel some day LOL.

Driver

I know a few cast members who live in Clermont, which is also where one of our fave off-property hotels is located. It's a short, easy drive (a few miles) but a quieter area. It's west of WDW.
Yes I have some CM friends in Clermont as well. And that is the west area I was referring to. Nice area and easy access to the property without going on the dreaded I-4 . For me I-4 is the quickest way to property but I have to watch for traffic it can make you late! I am about 6 mi. from property but I leave an hour before my shift that way I have time to change course in case of a jam up or wreck etc.

Debbie

Yeah there just isn't enough time to pull that off ...... plus if you did manage to do all that then you would have to quit right when your getting into it. That would be devestating !! As much as it's calling you, you're right they are always looking for good drivers. Make sure your driving record is clean they DO NOT tolerate anything beyond a parking ticket. Disney is all about safety which should be good news to the guest that ride the busses. They check you out up and down background checks etc. etc. I welcome it .... I have nothing to hide and everyone is playing by the same rules. Bring it on!! Good luck maybe I will see you behind the wheel some day LOL.

Believe me I know all about a clean record. We get parked if we get certain citations, and I am willing to bet this year they will start clamping down on drivers who speed. I have had all the background checks, fingerprinting etc. It's too bad they don't have seasonal drivers like myself. During the course of the school year, I learn about 30 routes, not including my own two I do everyday. I am familiar with Disney property and I know it wouldn't take me long to learn the routes. Until then, I can dream :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom