Retiring to WDW

magicwand

Original Poster
Has anyone here or know of anyone who retired but then went to go work part time at WDW? If there any place (other than Celebration) where a person working at WDW could either live there or nearby? I am curious if anyone has ever lived at the Fort in some capacity. I read once about a lady who lived at the Fort but I doubt she was working for WDW. I am really interested in this. TIA.

PortOrleans

Hmm, besides https://www.zillow.com/ which has an option to draw an area in which you would like to live, I haven't put much thought into the retirement communities. However, if you aren't interested in retirement communities, try searching for 55+ neighborhoods {age restricted/not} that might fit you}. Good luck!

Minnie Mum

You can't live at WDW, whether at a resort or Ft. Wilderness. There is a limit on any single stay; I believe it's 30 days. After that you have to pack up and leave. Now, there's no rule against sequential stays ( multiple stays of 30 days), but WDW doesn't want permanent residents at their resorts.

Of course you could always buy a little place in Golden Oaks.

PortOrleans

You can't live at WDW, whether at a resort or Ft. Wilderness. There is a limit on any single stay; I believe it's 30 days. After that you have to pack up and leave. Now, there's no rule against sequential stays ( multiple stays of 30 days), but WDW doesn't want permanent residents at their resorts.

Of course you could always buy a little place in Golden Oaks.

Though Golden Oaks can be pricey. Often homes in this development exceed $1M.

Surfin' Tuna

There are lots of places in the area where you could live and work at Disney part time. I have met several people who have done that, but I am not close enough to any of them to give you specifics. There are lots of places even closer than Celebration depending on what you're seeking. We live in very close proximity, and they are building around here like gangbusters.

I sometimes threaten to get a part time job at Disney for the fun of it. Then I remember how tough that would be in July and August with the heat and the parks at peak capacity.

JIMINYCR

In for future info. I have a dream of eventually going into semi-retirement in FL and getting a job piloting a resort launch.

Can be done. On our last trip we talked to the boat pilot working our fireworks cruise and he told us how he retired a couple of years ago after selling his construction business, moved to FL for the weather and fulfill a dream of piloting a Disney boat.
I have talked to many other CM's who have retired and now work at WDW. Many have great retirement packages and don't need to work but they do it to fulfill a dream of being a CM, others do it for the CM perks, and others just because they find it interesting working around the parks and interacting with the variety of guests who visit Disney. Some have worked part time on and off for many seasons. I have heard that there are some supervisors that are great to work under and others not so, so it depends on who is running your position as to wether its enjoyable or not.

MaximumEd

This interests me, as well. My wife and I both plan to retire at 55. At that point, our only child will be finished with college. We have talked on and off about moving there and working part-time for the mouse.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
At the intersection of Reams and Center Drive, there's an apartment/townhouse complex. And more homes/apartments along Reams. Why this location? Because you're minutes from Disney University.... you have to drive through the maintenance area for the monorail to get there. Officially, you're in Windermere.

I'm retired and live in Florida. Hope you like the heat... year round.

yaksplat

I knew an air force pilot that retired to Orlando and got a part time job driving the monorail. Soon after he started, management changed him from part time to full time and made his life miserable. What he considered to be his dream job became horrible and he quit soon after. Any job is only as good as the manager that you're reporting to.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I knew an air force pilot that retired to Orlando and got a part time job driving the monorail. Soon after he started, management changed him from part time to full time and made his life miserable. What he considered to be his dream job became horrible and he quit soon after. Any job is only as good as the manager that you're reporting to.

Oh, how so very, very true!

I am Timmy

I spoke to a CM working the F&W as a cashier in 2015 from Seattle, Wa. She and her DH had retired and moved to Orlando to be near the Mouse. I am also from Wa. state, so we chatted - she told me this and then added that her DH now spends summers back in Wa. with their kids to get out of the heat! He doesn't work, so she has to stay and sweat while he bails! I remind my DH of this story every time he says we should move closer to Orlando because I love Disney so much. I always tell him, "it's only a plane ride away".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom