Retired Attraction Effects

Dragonman

Original Poster
I thought it would be cool to talk about some effects that are no longer present in rides. This is more about actual effects or Animatronics than scenes. I'll start with a few from my favorite ride The Haunted Mansion.

Sinister 11 portraits
Hands on the doors
Stationary Leota
Old bride and pop up ghosts
Original graveyard vocals and la la singer
Original hitchhiker ghosts
Hitchhiking ghosts in mirrors

IMFearless

Although it's not an effect as such, I really miss the old Dallas McKinnon Voiceover/Safety Spiel from Big Thunder Mountain.

"Howdy Folks! Please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the train; and remain seated at all times. Now then, hang on to them hats and glasses, 'cos this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

To me, he had the ideal voice, which felt just perfect for that ride.

admiral-ari-x

I have to agree with the OP, for the bride and the Sinister 11 especially ;-; I've always disliked Constance, I feel like the attic's story was so much more rewarding to discover with the Beating Heart bride. It feels very obvious and kind of dull now :(

AndyS2992

I thought it would be cool to talk about some effects that are no longer present in rides. Sinister 11 portraits
But the Sinister 11 are all still in the Mansion. They just got moved around. The Arsonist, Jack the Ripper, The Mariner, Hatchet Man, The Witch of Walpurgis, Dracula, and The Old Man are now hanging in the Load Area seen below:
mansion.jpg

The Opera Glasses Lady hangs on the wall between the Ballroom and the Attic:
hauntedmansion_03.jpg

The Couple and December are hanging on the staircase near the floating candelabra:
fetch

And Medusa is in the changing portrait hall:
e3761c9ef24ed6ea0e1461efd1eca25a.jpg

Last edited:

JimW

Premium Member
Guess this didn't really qualify as an effect....
I think I'm missing something. Did you post this reply because only one person replied in two hours between your posts and didn't acknowledge your original post, or did something else happen to change your mind?

AndyS2992

I think I'm missing something. Did you post this reply because only one person replied in two hours between your posts and didn't acknowledge your original post, or did something else happen to change your mind?
I think they are merely pointing out that they realized a narration is not an 'effect'.

paulpaulpaul

I thought it would be cool to talk about some effects that are no longer present in rides. This is more about actual effects or Animatronics than scenes. I'll start with a few from my favorite ride The Haunted Mansion.

Sinister 11 portraits
Hands on the doors
Stationary Leota
I haven't seen Leota float in months

Djali999

Here's an obscure one: barn doors at the bottom of Lift Hill C on Big Thunder Mountain (earthquake room). They're supposed to burst open as the train passes thru them. You'll notice they're just permanently open. For probably obvious reasons, they worked for just a few months in 1979 and have never come back in service.

Similar story right down the track at the geysers - WDW was supposed to have the "splashdown" effect every other BTM has right at the dino bones, but some sort of combination of inertia coming off the RR trestle ad the brake zone just a few feet away means it wasn't possible to include.

KBLovedDisney

I think they are merely pointing out that they realized a narration is not an 'effect'.
Yep! This was why. I don't believe narration really qualifies as an effect...well, at least the old stuff. But I remember hearing that something was actually missing with the current TTA narration, like they cut the segment with Stitch...?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom