Retired Attraction Effects

HMF

I always wondered why they got rid of the hands on the doors. The effect kind of lacks without it because it's in the same position and you can see where the hands were.
The reason is that Art Director Alex Caruthers wanted the scene to look like Disneyland's version which does not have the hands. Same reason he removed the red globes over the lights and added all the framed demon portraits. Thankfully Tokyo still has them.

HMF

Spaceship Earth
*Dark ascent tunnel suggesting timetravel with audioclips. clips removed when safety monitors added the rest ruined with gimmicky photo-op in 2007
*original Caveman projections.( to be fair, this was actually an improvement.)
*Egyptian Worker on scaffolding.
*Oedipus Rex (again arguably an improvement but I am more partial to the arts than to mathematics and science)
*Roman Chariot Projection
*Specifying what is actually happening in fall of Rome scene
*One Jewish Scholar was moved to the 70s Computer Room
*New guy in reading scene replacing two youthful students.
*Renaissance sculpture censorship
*Paper Boy talking to wall
*Cinema scene reduced to one screen showing newsreel of 1939 Olympics
*TV scene themed to Moon Landing which is currently broken and with Beatles Album that did not come out until 1982 among props in scene set in July 1969.
*70s Computer Scene. (Why is that woman wearing yellow tights in a Computer facility?
*Steve Wozniak Added
*Mass communications tunnel replaced with matrix effect prone to technical glitches
*Infinite Blue Lights is cool
*Entirety of descent replaced with Touchscreen Q and A session followed by personalized E-Surance Commercial with your picture pasted on surrounded by glowing blue triangles.

Last edited:

_caleb

Whats worse is that the first time I rode it was in 2013 and so the only way for me to see that was youtube videos yet somehow when I rode it I must have imagined them being there :confused:
That's funny- I do that too! Maybe I spend too much time reading up on Disney Parks stuff. I find myself "remembering" effects that I never could have experienced. Like the hatbox ghost at DL...

admiral-ari-x

There was a story to the Attic before Constance was added?

I may have been thinking too deeply into the research, haha

https://longforgottenhauntedmansion...e-comes-bride-part-two-beating-heart.html?m=1

The bride was originally to be the alleged "killer" of the hatbox ghost, but when they effect didn't work, she ended up being pretty ambiguous in purpose. Though of course, old hatbox never did make his way to the East Coast... :oops: I still don't like Constance despite all that, haha. She's just too overt for my tastes.

HMF

I may have been thinking too deeply into the research, haha

https://longforgottenhauntedmansion...e-comes-bride-part-two-beating-heart.html?m=1

The bride was originally to be the alleged "killer" of the hatbox ghost, but when they effect didn't work, she ended up being pretty ambiguous in purpose. Though of course, old hatbox never did make his way to the East Coast... :oops: I still don't like Constance despite all that, haha. She's just too overt for my tastes.
Yes, that is indeed the idea. The scene literally had it's context removed just weeks after opening at DL and was prior to 07 always without context in WDW. Connie is an attempt (albeit slightly less subtle) to restore the original concept and (as has happened in DL) when Hattie arrives in WDW it will bring things full circle.

admiral-ari-x

Yes, that is indeed the idea. The scene literally had it's context removed just weeks after opening at DL and was prior to 07 always without context in WDW. Connie is an attempt (albeit slightly less subtle) to restore the original concept and (as has happened in DL) when Hattie arrives in WDW it will bring things full circle.

I can't wait until the Hatbox Ghost finally arrives! What a glorious day that'll be...

Animaniac93-98

Although it's not an effect as such, I really miss the old Dallas McKinnon Voiceover/Safety Spiel from Big Thunder Mountain.

"Howdy Folks! Please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the train; and remain seated at all times. Now then, hang on to them hats and glasses, 'cos this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

To me, he had the ideal voice, which felt just perfect for that ride.

When/why did they get rid of it?

IMFearless

When/why did they get rid of it?

I'm pretty sure it was there at WDW until 1996 at least. I'm pretty sure it was being used for the English part of the announcement up until 2000 approx in Paris.

My guess is that they felt the need to add additional information into the spiel and so re-recorded the entire thing in one voice. The original can be heard here...

Figaro928

I guess its a moot point now, but I was always bummed on the GMR with the first scene when the tower of ladies weren't spinning.

Last edited:

brb1006

Even so, I also miss the voice of John Fiedler - who also voiced Piglet. He also starred in the film 12 Angry Men and the original Bob Newhart Show.
Don't forget this guy
emperors-new-groove-old-man.jpg

HMF

I'm pretty sure it was there at WDW until 1996 at least. I'm pretty sure it was being used for the English part of the announcement up until 2000 approx in Paris.

My guess is that they felt the need to add additional information into the spiel and so re-recorded the entire thing in one voice. The original can be heard here...

That's exactly the reason. Same reason why Paul Frees doesn't do the safety spiel at Haunted Mansion anymore.

danyoung56

Forgive me if I have read over this in the thread, but in HM, wasn't there a Spiderweb scene with a huge "shakey" spider on it after the attic scene?

This always bugged me as one of the poorest effects in a Disney park. They had a space to fill, so they shoved in a big rubber spider and web. Very lame, and I'm glad it's been replaced with the Escher staircase scene.

raven

Spaceship Earth
*Dark ascent tunnel suggesting timetravel with audioclips. clips removed when safety monitors added the rest ruined with gimmicky photo-op in 2007
*original Caveman projections.( to be fair, this was actually an improvement.)
*Egyptian Worker on scaffolding.
*Oedipus Rex (again arguably an improvement but I am more partial to the arts than to mathematics and science)
*Roman Chariot Projection
*Specifying what is actually happening in fall of Rome scene
*One Jewish Scholar was moved to the 70s Computer Room
*New guy in reading scene replacing two youthful students.
*Renaissance sculpture censorship
*Paper Boy talking to wall
*Cinema scene reduced to one screen showing newsreel of 1939 Olympics
*TV scene themed to Moon Landing which is currently broken and with Beatles Album that did not come out until 1982 among props in scene set in July 1969.
*70s Computer Scene. (Why is that woman wearing yellow tights in a Computer facility?
*Steve Jobs Added
*Mass communications tunnel replaced with matrix effect prone to technical glitches
*Infinite Blue Lights is cool
*Entirety of descent replaced with Touchscreen Q and A session followed by personalized E-Surance Commercial with your picture pasted on surrounded by glowing blue triangles.
I always thought that was Steve Wozniak due to the beard the animatronic has.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom