report of new nighttime show at DAK

doctornick

I feel like this was previously discussed here and dismissed as an option that was not pursued.

Conceptually, sounds cool. But I would question the ida of extending park hours into night time in 2014, without more attractions being build. Seems to me like you'd have longer operating hours (and associated higher costs) but I'm not sure you'd have significantly longer guest stays. Would this increase dinner sales in park enough to justify it?

doctornick

not putting words in @Tim_4 mouth but he did mention nighttime show i believe....interesting article none the less

Hmmm. I also took Tim_4's comments to mean a WoC show to be built in the CMM/Avatar area. But now that you mention it, one of the insiders -- I think @articos or @marni1971 -- mentioned that there was a show being developed and it was not going to be located in the Avatar area but somewhere else in the park. And this River of Light idea would fit in with that.

And, completely differently, I recall that sometime last year there was discussions around the point that two new entertainment offerings were being developed for WDW, as evidenced by one of the big entertainment developers moving to Florida to work on them. One is the Festival of Fantas parade, but it's possible that this River of Light show was the second one. Does anyone remember that discussion? I think it was in the summer or fall 2013 on here.

NoChesterHester

I feel like this was previously discussed here and dismissed as an option that was not pursued.

Conceptually, sounds cool. But I would question the ida of extending park hours into night time in 2014, without more attractions being build. Seems to me like you'd have longer operating hours (and associated higher costs) but I'm not sure you'd have significantly longer guest stays. Would this increase dinner sales in park enough to justify it?

I absolutely love this idea. I was really hoping for a night time show, but I didn't want it themed around Avatar. A show should be about the theme of the park, not a specific IP.

The cost will largely depend on the ability to automate the experience. If it requires a boat load (bad pun intended) of performers then it may be harder to justify.

The seating / viewing component is the hardest to imagine for me. There is going to have to be a lot reconfigured to give people a good view.

NoChesterHester

Hmmm. I also took Tim_4's comments to mean a WoC show to be built in the CMM/Avatar area. But now that you mention it, one of the insiders -- I think @articos or @marni1971 -- mentioned that there was a show being developed and it was not going to be located in the Avatar area but somewhere else in the park. And this River of Light idea would fit in with that.

And, completely differently, I recall that sometime last year there was discussions around the point that two new entertainment offerings were being developed for WDW, as evidenced by one of the big entertainment developers moving to Florida to work on them. One is the Festival of Fantas parade, but it's possible that this River of Light show was the second one. Does anyone remember that discussion? I think it was in the summer or fall 2013 on here.

Yes. I'm not able to research it right now, but from memory it was on Steve Davidson's page.

doctornick

FWIW, here is the thread from last year talking about 2 new entertainment projects: Steve Davison.

I didn't real through it entirely, though, so I'm not sure if it was determined if the two projects were both at WDW or at Disney parks in general. If it's the later, then it could have related to Festival of Fantasy at MK and Mickey's Magic Map at DL.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
agree...did you read the article they are specific in terms of giving evidence (if you can call it that)

I read the first couple of paragraphs. Again, not much that hasn't been seen here (or on other sites) before.....

NoChesterHester

And their basically saying that it is a projection show using the Tree of Life ( ala Celebrate the Magic at MK ) with some lanterns and boats. I don't want another projection show. One is enough.

I don't know... I think they have just scratched the surface on what the technology could achieve. If the report is even close to true it would combine physical effects with the projections, which is quite different than MMY.

GiveMeTheMusic

Steve has a plateful of projects going on for every resort worldwide - I believe he posted last year that he was working on 7 new shows, with at least one thing for each resort. That list included FOF, TDL's Happiness parade, HKDL's light parade, DL's light parade and I don't know what else (now a TDS Mythica replacement should be on deck as well). He's one heckuva busy guy by the sound of things.

DisneyHipsters sounds awfully confident, but 2014 seems an awful short distance for an opening of an unannounced nighttime spectacular.

twebber55

Original Poster
You mean the parade with Lanterns that was kicked around before Avatar was a glint in Igers eyes? That one? Gotcha
other insiders have mentioned other attractions connected to dak beyond avatar to make it a full day park...just adding another source to what has been said

twebber55

Original Poster
Steve has a plateful of projects going on for every resort worldwide - I believe he posted last year that he was working on 7 new shows, with at least one thing for each resort. That list included FOF, TDL's Happiness parade, HKDL's light parade, DL's light parade and I don't know what else (now a TDS Mythica replacement should be on deck as well). He's one heckuva busy guy by the sound of things.

DisneyHipsters sounds awfully confident, but 2014 seems an awful short distance for an opening of an unannounced nighttime spectacular.
great point they do seem quite confident

twebber55

Original Poster
December of 2014 may be possible, but I don't know how something of that scale could be that far along in development without more rumors on here about it.
i guess like others have said there have been rumors around for a while now...IF this article is true and they are already testing we may see something in 2014

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom