Refurbishment coming to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort lobby

Disone

The Royal Palms closed this week for the club level room refurb, so the lobby refurb will begin anytime now. Also heard work is beginning on 1900 Park Fare. As of now late August is rumored completion date.
All true except the lobby refurbishment for 1st and 2nd floors will not start at this time. At this time they are doing:

1900 park fare
Concierge lounge
All guest rooms of main building.

The construction you see on the first floor is not really construction. Rather it's a staging point/ area for the crane that will be used to do the work on 3rd 4th and 5th floors.

IanDLBZF

The Royal Palms closed this week for the club level room refurb, so the lobby refurb will begin anytime now. Also heard work is beginning on 1900 Park Fare. As of now late August is rumored completion date.
So I'd expect 1900 Park Fare to reopen September?

ToTBellHop

UPDATE: It appears, as per that site which we will not name, the lobby refurbishment won't be until next year.

This is correct.
Hopefully, they use this extra time to consider how much they really want to change. That report also claim they’ve delayed work on “building 5”. Not sure what that means. The 5000s rooms are Sago Cay. Didn’t they just finish remodeling there?

nickys

Premium Member
Has anyone stayed here the last few weeks? My trip is coming up (August 22) and I was just curious how the lobby was doing
Seems the lobby is just being used as staging for other areas for now. Walls are up but no work has been done on the lobby yet.

This thread has recent pictures and an explanation:

Monkee Girl

Seems the lobby is just being used as staging for other areas for now. Walls are up but no work has been done on the lobby yet.

This thread has recent pictures and an explanation:

thanks so much!

celticdog

Main lobby ceiling painting on Friday July 28.

Attachments

• 2023-7-28 GF (5).jpg
    2023-7-28 GF (5).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 67

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Not much is really new. They've covered this old bird cage to protect from paint, which seems to indicate that it isn't going anywhere.

But if anyone has considered switching resorts before lobby work is complete then I'd suggest switching because they're not running on all cylinders right now. The construction itself is one thing, it's all over the main building and qhether that's bothersome will vary person to person, but what's annoying is that it feels like everyone is just barely hanging on and in a few hours we've had multiple negative experience. Gasparilla Grill is having tech issues with mobile orders charging guests for items that dont make it to kitchen team. And weirdly pool bars closed at 6pm ... on a Saturday night ... in July. One pool bar said the other should be open. 😄 CMs are nice but it just feels like poor management in multiple areas, and that's stuff I can't pixie dust explain away.

20230729_105107.jpg
20230729_105050.jpg
20230729_105300.jpg
20230729_105403.jpg
20230729_105408.jpg

gmen8999

Not much is really new. They've covered this old bird cage to protect from paint, which seems to indicate that it isn't going anywhere.

But if anyone has considered switching resorts before lobby work is complete then I'd suggest switching because they're not running on all cylinders right now. The construction itself is one thing, it's all over the main building and qhether that's bothersome will vary person to person, but what's annoying is that it feels like everyone is just barely hanging on and in a few hours we've had multiple negative experience. Gasparilla Grill is having tech issues with mobile orders charging guests for items that dont make it to kitchen team. And weirdly pool bars closed at 6pm ... on a Saturday night ... in July. One pool bar said the other should be open. 😄 CMs are nice but it just feels like poor management in multiple areas, and that's stuff I can't pixie dust explain away.

View attachment 734125View attachment 734126View attachment 734127View attachment 734128View attachment 734129
How's the exterior looking? I'm supposed to stay at the DVC building end of August and I've been contemplating switching resorts if the scaffolding/exterior construction wraps around the main building to face the DVC one. I don't want to hear the banging/see the scaffolding from over there. Thanks.

aladdin2007

View attachment 734125View attachment 734126View attachment 734127View attachment 734128View attachment 734129
wow

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
How's the exterior looking? I'm supposed to stay at the DVC building end of August and I've been contemplating switching resorts if the scaffolding/exterior construction wraps around the main building to face the DVC one. I don't want to hear the banging/see the scaffolding from over there. Thanks.
Three are construction walls around the main building for staging but I can't remember if the scaffolding wraps around to face the original DVC building.

There's scaffolding on the main building, for sure on the back side all the way up to the roof. I was in Big Pine Key (DVC resort studio). I did see a little bit of main building if I looked for it. But the way the building is situated you don't see the main building and scaffolding unless looking for to left. Here's my room view:

20230729_200028.jpg

Main building is out of the photo to left. So I don't think DVC room view is a problem from Bug Pine. The rooms aren't a problem and are, in my opinion, very well done. Even the original DVC buildings are at least distanced that it shouldn't be too bad on view, if you even end up in one of the few rooms that'd see the main building.

But walking around you can't really avoid it. For example, they had to carve out a walkway through scaffolding to get to Gasparilla. My advice to avoid is more that it is just not as enjoyable as it will be after they've wrapped up work.

Another thought unrelated to the lobby specifically, but at the main pool bar and restroom buildings they stopped replacing the individual bulbs on the roof and so many are now out. It looks terrible. Are lightbulbs a big deal? No, but it's a middle finger to guests spending big money (not me, we were on points) that the resort doesn't take the time to keep the resort looking its best.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom