News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think the existing barges are kept out in the sun/rain? However, I'd think these are built to be in water, exposed to the elements, so sure they will need some upkeep, but the average guest wont be up-close with them. So minor weather marks and such shouldn't be a problem. Paint over time should be enough and that's relatively easy.

Edit: and in terms of the mechanical/electrical components, same deal. They should be built to withstand the elements.

Just paint them Go Away Bluegreen Algae.

trainplane3

I think the existing barges are kept out in the sun/rain? However, I'd think these are built to be in water, exposed to the elements, so sure they will need some upkeep, but the average guest wont be up-close with them. So minor weather marks and such shouldn't be a problem. Paint over time should be enough and that's relatively easy.

Edit: and in terms of the mechanical/electrical components, same deal. They should be built to withstand the elements.
They do sit out. The only time you see them up close is when they're moved. They looked rough:
Tnq74UG.jpg

TTA94

I assume they've wanted to switch to a more permanent structure in lagoon for some time. I would assume the bridge disruption is something they want to be rid of (assuming these new barges wouldn't fit under it).

Highly doubt these new barges will fit under the bridge lol. They look massive! and because of that a much bigger eyesore during the day if they become permanent. They might not have a choice though considering the size.

Last edited:

TTA94

If it ends up being true the barges will be permanently installed, then maybe we will be seeing them out in the near future once they are ready for testing? But then that would likely interfere with EF? 🤔

Disney Analyst

I don't think that would necessarily help, though -- at some point they will have to move at least one of the barges, and if they build a permanent bridge the only option would be to either tear it down to get the barge through or somehow dismantle the barge out in the water.

(Permanent structure meaning barges that don't move every day)

Disney Analyst

Yeah, I was just about to delete my post because I realized I misread what you were saying.

At first glance I thought you were saying they wanted to replace the drawbridge with a permanent one.

Sorry, I may have worded it a bit vaguely! I just assume the having to stop the flow of traffic everyday was not ideal for ops. Especially with the money they make off food booths and such during festivals.

WDW Monorail

Having over a dozen barges out on the water for 6 hours prior to scheduled show time was acceptable for the atleast the last 20 years of RoE but having a fewer number of slightly larger structures on the lagoon for the 10 hours per day that World Showcase is open to most guests is not acceptable?

SoFloMagic

Having over a dozen barges out on the water for 6 hours prior to scheduled show time was acceptable for the atleast the last 20 years of RoE but having a fewer number of slightly larger structures on the lagoon for the 10 hours per day that World Showcase is open to most guests is not acceptable?
I don't think the size difference is slight. I think we're talking 70 feet long vs 20, but please correct me if I'm wrong

techgeek

No, it’s not acceptable.

A ‘clean’ lagoon is what a guest should first see when they encounter World Showcase. Nothing standing between you and the countries of the world. All of the original illuminations hardware was designed to retract and disappear during the day, preserving the theme as much as possible... Much like parade support elements don’t intrude on Main Street during the ‘opening act’ of primary arrival hours.

RoE didn’t typically start setting until after 3, at which point many guests would have already experienced the open lagoon. The show elements moving into position provided a sense of anticipation for the evening show, and added to the kinetic energy of the lagoon with the increased boat traffic. The 4 maxi barges were placed in a manner so that they didn’t intrude on major sight lines and were the only ones with significant rise above the waterline. Nominally the more imposing Earth barge was kept ‘offstage’ next to American Gardens until its cue. There was thought placed into the necessity of pre-setting these elements, and in normal operations the intrusion on theme was designed to be as minimal as possible.

Comparing shots of the service marina, these new platforms are twice the length (at least?) of the maxi barges and significantly taller. Bluntly, there will now be 4 large 2 story buildings parked in the middle of the lagoon. All the time. No consideration to the theme of World Showcase. No consideration to shifting times of day.

It shouldn’t be acceptable... but with the wholesale destruction of sight lines throughout the park already outside of this project, apparently now such things don’t really matter anyway...

TTA94

No, it’s not acceptable.

A ‘clean’ lagoon is what a guest should first see when they encounter World Showcase. Nothing standing between you and the countries of the world. All of the original illuminations hardware was designed to retract and disappear during the day, preserving the theme as much as possible... Much like parade support elements don’t intrude on Main Street during the ‘opening act’ of primary arrival hours.

RoE didn’t typically start setting until after 3, at which point many guests would have already experienced the open lagoon. The show elements moving into position provided a sense of anticipation for the evening show, and added to the kinetic energy of the lagoon with the increased boat traffic. The 4 maxi barges were placed in a manner so that they didn’t intrude on major sight lines and were the only ones with significant rise above the waterline. Nominally the more imposing Earth barge was kept ‘offstage’ next to American Gardens until its cue. There was thought placed into the necessity of pre-setting these elements, and in normal operations the intrusionI

Perhaps if they theme the barges and or turn on the fountains during the day? That may help with the view and make it seem as though the barges are there for a new permanent fountain. Heck they could even name it the new “Fountain of Nations”.

TTA94

@marni1971 Btw what happened to the concept art showing what appeared to be fountains in the water areas between future world and WS? Scrapped?

Attachments

• B0091917-2463-45ED-B3E9-2A23907DCE9C.jpeg
    B0091917-2463-45ED-B3E9-2A23907DCE9C.jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 127

UNCgolf

@marni1971 Btw what happened to the concept art showing what appeared to be fountains in the water areas between future world and WS? Scrapped?

A ton of that original concept art is outdated and not what we're getting (there was no giant festival egg in it, for one!). I don't think it was ever anything more than pie in the sky and not indicative of any actual concrete plans.

trainplane3

A ton of that original concept art is outdated and not what we're getting (there was no giant festival egg in it, for one!). I don't think it was ever anything more than pie in the sky and not indicative of any actual concrete plans.
Actually, that weird structure in the lower left is probably an early version of the egg. It's roughly the same place, roughly same shape, just not as high in the air. Remember how every kept (jokingly) calling it "the dolphin pool"? If someone would've said "festival center" they probably would've been right.

Our insiders kept calling it "something else" everytime someone guessed. Can we maybe get a confirmation if this was an early festival center (or proto-egg)?

epcot-future-world-concept-art-d23-expo-230.jpg

Not the same angle but comparing its location to the monorail and SSE...
new-world-celebration-epcot-festival-center-the-epcot-experience-3.jpg

world-celebration-epcot-festival-center-concept-art-1.jpg

I'm going to copy this over to the actual overhaul thread since it is kinda interesting to look at a possible evolution of the design.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No. To think otherwise is why we are where we are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom