Reedy Creek Firefighters planning to picket.

No Name

They certainly do deserve higher wages. I'm not exactly sure how they are paid. I assume they are paid through the RCID? But by tax money, by Disney, or by a combo of both? It's an odd situation, because no other theme park or resort operator (outside of RCID) pays for their firefighters. Then again, no other theme park or resort operator collects tax money in the same way. Whatever the case, for how hard these firefighters work, I support them wanting higher wages. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. I don't fully understand al the RCID stuff.

The town square area opened today. So here's the next question... did they actually go through with it?

EDIT: town center, it's called. Whoops.

Last edited:

s8film40

They certainly do deserve higher wages. I'm not exactly sure how they are paid. I assume they are paid through the RCID? But by tax money, by Disney, or by a combo of both? It's an odd situation, because no other theme park or resort operator (outside of RCID) pays for their firefighters. Then again, no other theme park or resort operator collects tax money in the same way. Whatever the case, for how hard these firefighters work, I support them wanting higher wages. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. I don't fully understand al the RCID stuff.

The town square area opened today. So here's the next question... did they actually go through with it?
The set up is no different than any other community. Disney doesn't in any way employ the firefighters. Disney and the other land owners pay taxes, RCID in turn creates budgets for all the various departments and RCFD employs the firefighters. They do have an agreement in place with Disney that gives RCID employees maingate passes. I think it's safe to say that RCID employees know where the money is coming from and it does make sense to picket the Disney Springs opening as if it creates pressure for Disney they can if course in turn pressure RCID to give in to their demands.

No Name

The set up is no different than any other community. Disney doesn't in any way employ the firefighters. Disney and the other land owners pay taxes, RCID in turn creates budgets for all the various departments and RCFD employs the firefighters. They do have an agreement in place with Disney that gives RCID employees maingate passes. I think it's safe to say that RCID employees know where the money is coming from and it does make sense to picket the Disney Springs opening as if it creates pressure for Disney they can if course in turn pressure RCID to give in to their demands.

Hmmm. Well thanks, the way it all works makes sense. I still support the firefighters' action but am less ethusiastic now.

Sure, they might pressure Disney to pressure the RCID. But the RCID is not for-profit (as opposed to Disney), so it's not as if money is flowing into executive bonuses and such. The money is being used to benefit the area. By getting higher wages, they'd be taking money away from those who might be even worse off, and/or from other projects that'll help out the area.

Perhaps they believe that Disney should've paid for the parking garages. Disney will be benefitting from them, but the many retailers will also be benefitting from them, so I assume that's where the justification came for the RCID to foot the bill? If a parking garage were to be built for a theme park, I wouldn't expect the RCID to pay for it. But again, I don't know much.

I am all for fighting for higher wages, I'm just slightly less enthusiastic about it when the raise would come out of the pockets of other average or low-paid people, rather than the pockets of wealthy business owners and bosses (like Iger!). The firefighters certainly deserve more for their outstanding contributions. And their wage increase would take up a relatively small part of RCID's overall budget. I hope they do achieve their goal.

Anyway, I found this last part mildly funny: Reedy Creek District Administrator John Classe said the union missed a deadline requiring 15 days' notice but that the paperwork allowing the demonstration was processed anyway.

lazyboy97o

Hmmm. Well thanks, the way it all works makes sense. I still support the firefighters' action but am less ethusiastic now.

Sure, they might pressure Disney to pressure the RCID. But the RCID is not for-profit (as opposed to Disney), so it's not as if money is flowing into executive bonuses and such. The money is being used to benefit the area. By getting higher wages, they'd be taking money away from those who might be even worse off, and/or from other projects that'll help out the area.

Perhaps they believe that Disney should've paid for the parking garages. Disney will be benefitting from them, but the many retailers will also be benefitting from them, so I assume that's where the justification came for the RCID to foot the bill? If a parking garage were to be built for a theme park, I wouldn't expect the RCID to pay for it. But again, I don't know much.

I am all for fighting for higher wages, I'm just slightly less enthusiastic about it when the raise would come out of the pockets of other average or low-paid people, rather than the pockets of wealthy business owners and bosses (like Iger!). The firefighters certainly deserve more for their outstanding contributions. And their wage increase would take up a relatively small part of RCID's overall budget. I hope they do achieve their goal.

Anyway, I found this last part mildly funny: Reedy Creek District Administrator John Classe said the union missed a deadline requiring 15 days' notice but that the paperwork allowing the demonstration was processed anyway.
Disney controls the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The amount of taxes paid are ultimately dictated by Disney. The officials making these decisions are chosen by Disney. The voters are chosen for Disney.

s8film40

Disney controls the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The amount of taxes paid are ultimately dictated by Disney. The officials making these decisions are chosen by Disney. The voters are chosen for Disney.
Yep, just like every other community. No one wants to elect the guy that's going to raise taxes.

1stWDW96'

The daily duties of Fire and EMS personnel are much more vast then many people know. Aside from the event of a structure fire, there are citizens assists (picking people up) you know those "I've fallen and can't get up" commercials? Those incidents occur daily, if a senior citizen falls many of them cannot get up. They could stay on the floor for days. EMS runs are extremely common and occur very frequently. And 9 times out of ten, when an ambulance has someone on board and en route to a hospital they are not transported with red lights and sirens. There are also haz-mat calls, vehicle accidents, odor investigations, inter hospital transports, entrapment rescues, etc. In between these calls for duty continuous training is required. Station duties involve cleaning and maintenance of the station, vehicles, and equipment. Firefighters and EMS personnel do not sit and wait for fires. It is a job with long hours and a high demand for training. They also never know when they will be called away from home. I have been a Firefighter for since August of 2004, I knew I would never be extremely wealthy, but It would be nice to earn a comfortable wage and not have to deal with the ridiculous insurance world we live in.

PhotoDave219

If Disney wanted RCFD to be the highest paid firefighters in the country, they could make that happen tomorrow.

BrianV

Do we have any numbers indicating that the firemen here aren't being paid competitively? Or evidence that the benefits both during and post employment are substandard? We can opine about how important they are, and that is true for firemen everywhere and also for many other professions (police, soldiers, nurses, teachers, etc.) I'm just asking whether there is a factual problem and if so, how much money we think they should be paid.

Brad Bishop

Do we have any numbers indicating that the firemen here aren't being paid competitively? Or evidence that the benefits both during and post employment are substandard? We can opine about how important they are, and that is true for firemen everywhere and also for many other professions (police, soldiers, nurses, teachers, etc.) I'm just asking whether there is a factual problem and if so, how much money we think they should be paid.

This is what I think. People jump on board for firefighters, police, teachers, and soldiers with wanting to give them raises and all that but it's all based on feeling. Statements like, "They put their lives on the line," and, "..they should get a raise no matter what they're asking!" Ok, what about $1,000,000 annual salary? Suddenly, people start backing off. There is a price for them and it feels good to say that they should get an increase but that's not really objectively looking at it.

Don't get me wrong, I like them, too. I don't have a problem with them asking for more and all that.

The cold hard fact is that if you don't need any more soldiers, police, whatever, then you don't need to payout any more and if you can easily hire a new one of equal skill for what you are paying out then there's no need for the wages to go up. If you can't find a new one of equal skill for what you're paying then it's usually smart to just go ahead and bump up the wages to keep them happy and avoid confrontations.

Now, with soldiers, there's the added deal of them getting benefits that aren't included in their salaries such as living on base for a reduced cost or other perks. It's kind of like saying someone in the middle of Kansas should be paid the same as someone in the middle of Los Angeles. Someone in Kansas can live A LOT cheaper than someone in Los Angeles. It's not how much you make but how well you live that matters.

seascape

I believe they deserve a fair and reasonable raise. I also know they have special training to deal with fireworks and evacuating the rides. This is not as easy as some think and the danger of fireworks is taken for granted by most guests. That said I don't think anyone is entitle to whatever they ask for. But they should be paid more than most other fire departments just like Disney should pay their cast members more than any other theme park company. After all we pay higher ticket prices than any other theme park.

Brad Bishop

I believe they deserve a fair and reasonable raise. I also know they have special training to deal with fireworks and evacuating the rides. This is not as easy as some think and the danger of fireworks is taken for granted by most guests. That said I don't think anyone is entitle to whatever they ask for. But they should be paid more than most other fire departments just like Disney should pay their cast members more than any other theme park company. After all we pay higher ticket prices than any other theme park.

With regards to cast members: They don't have to.

I grew up in Florida and always thought about how cool it'd be to work for Disney. As I got older I realized that there's a ton of people who feel the same way and, based on that, it's a buyer's market for Disney with regards to employees. In my early 20s I came to the conclusion: I'll never work for Disney.

I think that it'll eventually catch up to them, though, especially with their current practices. When I was growing up Disney seemed like they were on the cutting edge of technology with AAs, Epcot, all of the computers running their shows, all of the ideas, Imagineering, etc. They also had an enormous amount of pixie dust spread around to people who grew up on their movies and watching Walt on TV. They no longer have that. They don't appear to be doing cutting-edge things but mostly the same-old, same-old (NFL is an example). I think that the generation coming up now (born late 1990s/early 2000s - past the 1990s WDW Eisner growth) aren't going to have that and will just think of WDW as a really nice theme park (and not someplace that looks exciting to work).

I maybe wrong, though. If I'm right it means a better time for CMs, though.

MKCP 1985

This thread takes me back to when I first joined these forums back in whatever year that little icon to the left says I joined. There was a labor issue back then, too, and if I remember correctly someone with the RCFD was linking to a site where people could buy tee shirts supporting the fire department and they had a lot of support.

G00fyDad

Not that I have an issue with this, but how often do they actually fight fires? Honestly, I'm not sure how often any firefighters work. I know there at the firehouse all the time, but it seems like fires don't occur that often.

Fire departments do not respond to just fires. They are very active departments encompassing extraction, search and rescue, fire suppression, and EMS/triage.

betty rose

yesterday when a SUV collided head on with a bus and 16 poeple went to the hospital. Disney is pretty good about keeping things under wraps. I think on forums like this that is well documented. Roads are closed, bus routes are sent in alternatives, even monorails shut down just to avoid exposure.... and all the while RCFD is there doing the rescue work no one sees.

I know of a time space mountain shut down because someone came into the unload station unconscious. The attraction went 101, the people mover did too, the building was evac, and all due to "technical difficulties" RCFD came and performed life saving procedures to a person that was not injury but had serious medical condition. Point: many think they just run around giving out band aids and water, and sure that is a big part of what they do. But even bigger are the things they do, that most of the time, we will never know.

so next time you see a RC rescue vehicle going somewhere with its lights flashing, go ahead and speculate if they are bringing someone a bandaid, or a new lease of life.
We had an occasion to use RC medical, when husband passed out at Boma for breakfast. He had undiagnosed diabetes. We are so thankful for the team that came and attended to him. They should be paid a lot more, for the work they do.

betty rose

I can't speak for Reedy Creek, but I will speak for my dept. I know the stigma associated with a lot of firefighters is all we do is sleep, grill out, exercise, watch T.V. and so forth, and while we might do those things through out a 24 hour shift we're also subject to various emergencies from medical, fire, accidents, entrapment, hazmat, and the times when someone calls 911 and they don't know who to send... they send the fire dept.

I can also say that we have a lot more fires than what the news reports, a lot of times the only fires that get reported are the ones that get out of hand. The kitchen fires that we get there and put out quickly hardly get reported.

I do agree that Reedy Creek probably doesn't have as many fires as a normal municipality, but they also have to train and respond to several situations that I'll never have to deal with. The monorail, rides, pyrotechnics, to name a few.

Municipalities often take the time that the truck is out of the station to determine how busy we are. Even if we get to a call and are only there for 5 min., try getting up at midnight, 2am, and 4am, jump out of bed, get dressed, think you are having a real emergency, drive around the block and then TRY to go back to bed, only to do it again a couple hours later.

We also have numerous hours of training and tasks to do each month.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I love my job. I love the guys I work with. But I do get frustrated when people say we don't do anything...
Thank you for all that you do.

Thessair

We had an occasion to use RC medical, when husband passed out at Boma for breakfast. He had undiagnosed diabetes. We are so thankful for the team that came and attended to him. They should be paid a lot more, for the work they do.

I had a similar experience with them. Amazing people! I had a sinus infection which sent my blood sugar spiraling. I was on a bus from Pop to the MK when I nearly passed out. We were right outside the security gate at Pop when the bus pulled over and medical was called. They were outstanding, friendly, and professional. A manager from Pop came out and was basically verbally harassing the responders to give him details to make sure the resort wasn't responsible for whatever had happened. The manager was constantly getting in their way and generally making a nuisance of himself. They were getting pretty fed up with his crap and if they had been even a shade less professional, I think a cast member may have earned himself some trouble. I'm not exaggerating to say those guys effectively saved my life and did so under some pretty unpleasant circumstances. I wish I had been well enough to note the manager's name, because that guy was a royal pain. I also wish I had learned the responders' names, for the complete opposite reason.

ETA: These folks deserve every penny they're asking for (and more).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom