Reedy Creek Firefighters planning to picket.

WDW_Firefighter

Original Poster

PhotoDave219

For the record, I am not a Reedy Creek firefighter. I didn't want any confusion with my forum name. I'm just a career firefighter who likes Disney World...

With that out of the way, I saw this article on one of the firefighter pages that I follow on Facebook and thought some of you would find it interesting.

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-dep...rs-union-plans-demonstration-at-Disney-World/

I fully support Local 2117 and their desire for a fair wage and fair insurance costs.

For a company that posts record profits quarter after quarter, they can afford to pay to keep guests and cast alike safe.

wdwfan22

They are out there now protesting at Disney Springs. These men and women having been working without a contract for over a year. Hopefully they can get a decent contract worked out soon.

Attachments

• reedy.png
    reedy.png
    889.2 KB · Views: 202

Flippin'Flounder

Not that I have an issue with this, but how often do they actually fight fires? Honestly, I'm not sure how often any firefighters work. I know there at the firehouse all the time, but it seems like fires don't occur that often.

BrianV

They are out there now protesting at Disney Springs. These men and women having been working without a contract for over a year. Hopefully they can get a decent contract worked out soon.

We have fire, police and teachers in our town who work for years without contracts. (Always just a small difference between what the town is offering and the unions want.) When they get settled, they always get retroactive pay increases. The town puts aside money for just such eventualities.

I am a fan of unions, but not sure "working without a contract" is as bad as people say. I know plenty non-union workers who work their entire lives without contracts.

PhotoDave219

Not that I have an issue with this, but how often do they actually fight fires? Honestly, I'm not sure how often any firefighters work. I know there at the firehouse all the time, but it seems like fires don't occur that often.

Yesterday as it would happen.

Plus thousands of EMS calls and car accidents, monorail Evacuations and other technical rescues.

NearTheEars

Aside from everything @PhotoDave219 mentioned, the danger involved in the small amount of time they do spend fighting fires is well worth a decent wage.

PhotoDave219

Aside from everything @PhotoDave219 mentioned, the danger involved in the small amount of time they do spend fighting fires is well worth a decent wage.

Given that they are responsible for the safety of 100,000 or more at any given moment, I'd say that they deserve whatever raise they're asking for.

Your safety should not be determined by the costs of what the market will bear. I mean, this is your safety we're talking about. Do people really want to low ball that?

Disone

yesterday when a SUV collided head on with a bus and 16 poeple went to the hospital. Disney is pretty good about keeping things under wraps. I think on forums like this that is well documented. Roads are closed, bus routes are sent in alternatives, even monorails shut down just to avoid exposure.... and all the while RCFD is there doing the rescue work no one sees.

I know of a time space mountain shut down because someone came into the unload station unconscious. The attraction went 101, the people mover did too, the building was evac, and all due to "technical difficulties" RCFD came and performed life saving procedures to a person that was not injury but had serious medical condition. Point: many think they just run around giving out band aids and water, and sure that is a big part of what they do. But even bigger are the things they do, that most of the time, we will never know.

so next time you see a RC rescue vehicle going somewhere with its lights flashing, go ahead and speculate if they are bringing someone a bandaid, or a new lease of life.

Flippin'Flounder

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
yesterday when a SUV collided head on with a bus and 16 poeple went to the hospital. Disney is pretty good about keeping things under wraps. I think on forums like this that is well documented. Roads are closed, bus routes are sent in alternatives, even monorails shut down just to avoid exposure.... and all the while RCFD is there doing the rescue work no one sees.

I know of a time space mountain shut down because someone came into the unload station unconscious. The attraction went 101, the people mover did too, the building was evac, and all due to "technical difficulties" RCFD came and performed life saving procedures to a person that was not injury but had serious medical condition. Point: many think they just run around giving out band aids and water, and sure that is a big part of what they do. But even bigger are the things they do, that most of the time, we will never know.

so next time you see a RC rescue vehicle going somewhere with its lights flashing, go ahead and speculate if they are bringing someone a bandaid, or a new lease of life.

Let's face it the closest most of us will ever get to a superhero is meeting a firefighter. These people run INTO burning buildings with no certainty that they will come out and they STILL do it every day

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I fully support Local 2117 and their desire for a fair wage and fair insurance costs.

For a company that posts record profits quarter after quarter, they can afford to pay to keep guests and cast alike safe.

No No No the rewards for the hard work of Disney staff is reserved for the lord of the Manor. Sir Robert of Burbank and his loyal retainers The serfs should be grateful he allows them to work for Disney

WDW_Firefighter

Original Poster

I can't speak for Reedy Creek, but I will speak for my dept. I know the stigma associated with a lot of firefighters is all we do is sleep, grill out, exercise, watch T.V. and so forth, and while we might do those things through out a 24 hour shift we're also subject to various emergencies from medical, fire, accidents, entrapment, hazmat, and the times when someone calls 911 and they don't know who to send... they send the fire dept.

I can also say that we have a lot more fires than what the news reports, a lot of times the only fires that get reported are the ones that get out of hand. The kitchen fires that we get there and put out quickly hardly get reported.

I do agree that Reedy Creek probably doesn't have as many fires as a normal municipality, but they also have to train and respond to several situations that I'll never have to deal with. The monorail, rides, pyrotechnics, to name a few.

Municipalities often take the time that the truck is out of the station to determine how busy we are. Even if we get to a call and are only there for 5 min., try getting up at midnight, 2am, and 4am, jump out of bed, get dressed, think you are having a real emergency, drive around the block and then TRY to go back to bed, only to do it again a couple hours later.

We also have numerous hours of training and tasks to do each month.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I love my job. I love the guys I work with. But I do get frustrated when people say we don't do anything...

s8film40

FxnAM6tl.png

They do fight fires occasionally. In fact I saw them putting out a car fire on I-4 just recently. That brings up another point, RCID recently acquired the I-4 right of way, this of course means they are the department responsible for responding to accidents on I-4. Working accidents on an interstate can be very dangerous and challenging work.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

FxnAM6tl.png

They do fight fires occasionally. In fact I saw them putting out a car fire on I-4 just recently. That brings up another point, RCID recently acquired the I-4 right of way, this of coars means they are the department responsible for responding to accidents on I-4. Working accidents on an interstate can be very dangerous and challenging work.

I remember that fire in Celebration. I got there late. Lightning strike.

s8film40

I remember that fire in Celebration. I got there late. Lightning strike.
Yep. I also remember I think it was around 2000 when there was a pretty bad drought seeing them put out some pretty crazy forest fires.

Really RCID is so diverse that it's probably one of the most challenging fire departments to work for. They have to be prepared for situations in so many different environments fires, EMS situations, large crowds, wilderness, high rise hotels, ride evacuations, traffic incidents and so much more. It really is pretty amazing.

PhotoDave219

Yep. I also remember I think it was around 2000 when there was a pretty bad drought seeing them put out some pretty crazy forest fires.

Really RCID is so diverse that it's probably one of the most challenging fire departments to work for. They have to be prepared for situations in so many different environments fires, EMS situations, large crowds, wilderness, high rise hotels, ride evacuations, traffic incidents and so much more. It really is pretty amazing.

Plus the potential of mass casualty events. God forbid there is one, but should anything like that happen? RCES are the first due responders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom