Recommendations - Disney Springs or Hotels for Dining?

pineapplewhipaddict

Original Poster
Hi there! My husband and I are going to Orlando for our honeymoon! We're regular Disneylanders and this will be our first time at Walt Disney World Resort.

For the days not devoted to the parks, I would love your recommendations for restaurants in Disney Springs and the hotels (we're staying at the Swan, if you have any recommendations there) - and ideally something that you don't have to book months in advance!

Thank you for your help!

drwadadli

My wife and I totally love Raglan Roads. Even we are in Orlando for non-Disney things (work related conferences), we still find a night or two to go to Raglan Roads. If you like real Irish food, then this is the place!!!! We have been to Ireland several times and love the food (and drinks) here that it reminds us of being back over there. In February, we tried D-Luxe Burger. It was really good and worth doing again but be warned, there is a lot of food. We shared a regular order of fries and shared two burgers (to try each other's) and we were stuffed. When (not if) we eat there again, we already decided to share regular fries and one burger.

As for resort dining, we love Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge. If you later in the evening, there are less crowds and the lights are dimmed slightly. We went here for our anniversary in 2015 and LOVED it. This restaurant we try to hit anytime we are celebrating something. If you are adventurous and don't mind trying her things, then Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge is the way to go. My wife rants about their butternut squash soup and I love their mango vinaigrette and the rest of the food is great too. If money if no object and you want to be catered, then I would recommend Victoria & Albert's at the Grand Floridian. I took my wife there for her birthday and even did The Chef's Table and we both totally enjoyed the experience (this is not just dinner but an experience talking to the chefs).

Raglan Roads and sometimes Artist Point you don't have to book months in advance. We have booked both restaurants before the day of and even a couple hours of before. Boma gets busy but we have still booked reservations there the day of.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

MMDisneyPodcaster

As a fellow West Coaster when I first went to WDW back in the 90s as kid I absolutely loved going over to Fort Wilderness Camp Ground to ride bikes along the trail and now that Im an adult (using the term loosely) I still love going to Fort Wilderness for HOOP-DEE-DO Musical Revue!! It is akin to old shows at the Golden Horseshoe with some delicious dining options in all you care to eat fried chicken and BBQ ribs not to mention all you can drink beer and Sangria plus you get a great show. I think its perfect for first timers and you can still get a great bike ride in to work up an appetite before dinner :)

drwadadli

As a fellow West Coaster when I first went to WDW back in the 90s as kid I absolutely loved going over to Fort Wilderness Camp Ground to ride bikes along the trail and now that Im an adult (using the term loosely) I still love going to Fort Wilderness for HOOP-DEE-DO Musical Revue!! It is akin to old shows at the Golden Horseshoe with some delicious dining options in all you care to eat fried chicken and BBQ ribs not to mention all you can drink beer and Sangria plus you get a great show. I think its perfect for first timers and you can still get a great bike ride in to work up an appetite before dinner :)
But you will need to book this show/restaurant months in advance. It makes for a fun and delicious evening.

thomas998

Hi there! My husband and I are going to Orlando for our honeymoon! We're regular Disneylanders and this will be our first time at Walt Disney World Resort.

For the days not devoted to the parks, I would love your recommendations for restaurants in Disney Springs and the hotels (we're staying at the Swan, if you have any recommendations there) - and ideally something that you don't have to book months in advance!

Thank you for your help!
Disney Springs is really just full of over priced chain restaurants... Most of them are decent with the exception of Planet Hollywood and Blaze that are just down right bad... I would suggest you break down and try to make a reservation at one of the hotel restaurants, sooner the better because lots of them seem to fill up lately. To me someone from California might enjoy the California Grill at Contemporary its probably the closet to what it tries to be and if you're Disneylanders you might find their options as comfort food.

drwadadli

Disney Springs is really just full of over priced chain restaurants... Most of them are decent with the exception of Planet Hollywood and Blaze that are just down right bad... I would suggest you break down and try to make a reservation at one of the hotel restaurants, sooner the better because lots of them seem to fill up lately. To me someone from California might enjoy the California Grill at Contemporary its probably the closet to what it tries to be and if you're Disneylanders you might find their options as comfort food.
I COMPLETELY disagree. Show me the other locations for the "chain" restaurants of Raglan Roads, Bongos, D-Luxe Burger, Chef Art Smith's Homecoming, Morimoto Asia, Paradiso 37, and Jock Lindsey's Hanger Bar. I agree the House of Blues, Planet Hollywood, Earl of Sandwich, Rainforest Cafe (which also owns T-Rex), Starbucks and Wolfgang Puck's are chains and most are over priced (which is why I have never eaten at Rainforest Cafe, Paddlefish, Wolfgang Puck's or T-Rex). But to say Disney Spring is "really just full of over priced chain", you obviously haven't eaten at the other non-chain restaurants. Maybe you should get out and try them and you will realize that they are not over-priced nor are they chains.

thomas998

I COMPLETELY disagree. Show me the other locations for the "chain" restaurants of Raglan Roads, Bongos, D-Luxe Burger, Chef Art Smith's Homecoming, Morimoto Asia, Paradiso 37, and Jock Lindsey's Hanger Bar. I agree the House of Blues, Planet Hollywood, Earl of Sandwich, Rainforest Cafe (which also owns T-Rex), Starbucks and Wolfgang Puck's are chains and most are over priced (which is why I have never eaten at Rainforest Cafe, Paddlefish, Wolfgang Puck's or T-Rex). But to say Disney Spring is "really just full of over priced chain", you obviously haven't eaten at the other non-chain restaurants. Maybe you should get out and try them and you will realize that they are not over-priced nor are they chains.

The types of food they offer are pretty much what you get in a chain restaurant only priced much higher. I'm not saying you can find everyone of those places all over the country but for Bongos for example exists outside Disney Springs in Miami D-Luxe is nothing more than a Disney version of a Fuddruckers, Morimoto Asia is just a revision of Morimoto that was on South Beach... These aren't mom and pop type places they are much more like chain restaurants, that's my point.

drwadadli

The types of food they offer are pretty much what you get in a chain restaurant only priced much higher. I'm not saying you can find everyone of those places all over the country but for Bongos for example exists outside Disney Springs in Miami D-Luxe is nothing more than a Disney version of a Fuddruckers, Morimoto Asia is just a revision of Morimoto that was on South Beach... These aren't mom and pop type places they are much more like chain restaurants, that's my point.
This is a world class resort so if you are expecting "mom and pop" type places then going to a resort like Walt Disney World is not where you need to be.

p.a.m.

I've had several great meals at The Boathouse at Disney Springs. Both the seafood and steaks are very good and the atmosphere, inside and out on the deck, is very pleasant. I've been 3 times and have always had wonderful service. BlueZoo at The Dolphin (right next to The Swan) is a favorite. I've had dinner there so many times I can't count. The entire menu is excellent. They have some unique signature cocktails too including some with a balanced flavor profile (not just overflowing with sweetness). Il Mulino in The Swan is, in my opinion, the best Italian on property, by far. All 3 of the restaurants I mention are well suited for a honeymoon trip. Have a great time!

pineapplewhipaddict

Original Poster

Not looking for mom and pop places but I definitely appreciate your thoughts! Neither of us have been to Florida period so all of these chains are still foreign to us :)

Marijil

As far as resorts, if budget allows, I think the absolute best restaurant is (appropriately for you) California Grill at CR...
Love Raglan Road at DS...P37 is underrated....everyone raves about Boathouse...haven't been there..

Hockey89

Yeah, no.... A chain is Applebee's... And you are not going to find Mom and Pop places at Disney...

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Make sure to try Il Mulino, right there in the Swan.

To the other recommendations you've already gotten (Yachtsman, Flying Fish, Artist Point, Cali Grill), I would add Citricos at the Grand Floridian. We've always had great food and service there.

MMDisneyPodcaster

Yea there are a lot of overpriced options at Disney Springs but I see it as a splurge going to Disney anyway. Downtown Disney traditionals like Ragland Road have good food at a fair price. Art Smith's Homecoming is probably the best restaurant in terms of delicious options and fair pricing IMO

thomas998

Yeah, no.... A chain is Applebee's... And you are not going to find Mom and Pop places at Disney...
I see a chain as any place with multiple locations where the food is pretty much assembly lined and homogenized... a mom and pop is generally a single location where the food is dictated by the chef not some marketing committee that decided to pick out the most cost effective dishes to go with the decor.... Now I know I'm not going to find a true mom and pop at Disney I never said anyone would... These are much more chain style places where you had some develop with a plan, the decor came and atmosphere came first and the food was just created to fit the decor... a chain doesn't have to have hundreds of places across the country, Bongos may only be one of 4 sister restaurants but to me its a chain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom